T-Mobile: $30 "walmart" plan question

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I love T-Mobile, but their CSRs are worse than useless. They seem to be trained to make stuff up when they don't know an answer, so you can't trust a damn thing they tell you. It's really quite horrible.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I love T-Mobile, but their CSRs are worse than useless. They seem to be trained to make stuff up when they don't know an answer, so you can't trust a damn thing they tell you. It's really quite horrible.

Just depends on the reps in your area. I have one store in Jacksonville that has some knowledgeable reps. I even play pool with one of them :p.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't doubt that there are many good ones, but if you don't know which are the good ones in advance you can't really trust any of them to give you good information.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Friend of mine had a good suggestion. Go into a T-mo store, ask for a SIM. No, not buy one, just ask for one so I can activate online with my backup phone, the T-Mo HTC Amaze 4G. I am, after all, trying to give them more monthly income (which will actually increase my monthly donation to the Save T-mobile Fund by $20 or more). If they balk, then walk. Might get lucky and get a rep who sees it my way.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
It's only $10. It's not worth the time and effort going to a T-Mobile store and then leaving empty-handed because they wouldn't give you a free one.

Typhlosion

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
It is a nice plan, but there is no breakdown of calls or text or data provided by T-mobile. As far as I can tell one is operating blind on this plan - except for total minutes used, which can run out fast if one is not careful. After the recent FTC alert about T-mobile's padding of premium text charges, it would be good to see one's call/text/data usage on this plan to be on the safe side.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Nonsense. Since it's prepaid, premium texts are a non-issue, and I've never had problems with my talk time or data usage. Since the minute allowance is low, it's not a plan for heavy phone users no matter what, but the FTC thing is a massive red herring to this discussion.

BuffOrange

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
So has anyone had success getting/keeping this plan with a new sim in the last few months for phones bought elsewhere ie Motorola/Google? I had no real problems getting it for Mom & me w/ Nexus4 & Moto G a year or so ago. But I noticed T-Mo's Website now officially specifies that the phone must be bought from them or Walmart - it didn't say that before. That obviously can't stop me from transferring the Mirosim from the N4 to a new phone, but I'm wondering if I upgrade to a MotoX or something that takes a different sized sim if I'll be able to keep the plan.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
So has anyone had success getting/keeping this plan with a new sim in the last few months for phones bought elsewhere ie Motorola/Google? I had no real problems getting it for Mom & me w/ Nexus4 & Moto G a year or so ago. But I noticed T-Mo's Website now officially specifies that the phone must be bought from them or Walmart - it didn't say that before. That obviously can't stop me from transferring the Mirosim from the N4 to a new phone, but I'm wondering if I upgrade to a MotoX or something that takes a different sized sim if I'll be able to keep the plan.
You should not have any problem keeping the plan. I was looking at that plan a year and a half ago and it said Walmart or online only just as it says now.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
the FTC thing is a massive red herring to this discussion.

No, it's not.

The poster had a valid point that since there has been shady billing (i.e. the practice of signing customers up for premium services,) by TMO, it would be nice to see usage breakdowns. Note how he also says [high speed] data and minutes? Those are limited, so it's not too much to ask for a breakdown to make sure they aren't engaging in any funny business. Your 'it's a low minute plan, what do you expect?' is a dangerous, slippery slope argument.

BTW, unlimited text plans don't preclude you from premium text charges. The text that comes in may be free, but those "services" you get signed up for aren't.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Unlimited doesn't. Prepaid does. More detailed billing would be all well and good, but if you think I wrote that it's unnecessary because it's a low minute plan, you misread my argument. I said it's irrelevant to this conversation, not that it's a bad idea. The preponderance of evidence suggests that it's a non-issue: find me a thread in this forum accusing T-Mobile of this "shady billing."

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The preponderance of evidence suggests that it's a non-issue: find me a thread in this forum accusing T-Mobile of this "shady billing."

That's the point. Without TMO showing you detailed usage, you can't see whether or not they're deducting like they're supposed to. This is what happened to a lot of people with cramming as well. The bill would list something, but not explain what it is, or who authorized it, etc.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

I signed up for a new $30 plan this week and used a Nexus 5 I bought a couple of months ago from Google. Also, for those concerned about how it now says "high speed data" rather than "LTE", I am getting LTE, also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke