T-Mobile: $30 "walmart" plan question

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile's site says that you get the first 5gb of data at 4g speeds. Seems too good to be true. Do they still throttle it compared to the regular plans they have? Is there any catch or downside to this? I don't talk much so 100 is fine, but I do need full LTE speeds. Looking to buy a Nexus 5 and switch from Sprint to the $30 plan if there aren't any hidden catches.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: $30 "walmart" plan question

You'd get full speeds for the first 5 GB... Then be throttled till your next cycle.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

bluefalcon13

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I picked up some LTE on my nexus 5. Where I live has meh signal for most providers (lots of pine trees, hills, etc... Live on the USAF Academy in Colorado Springs). I am at the foot of the front range

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak from personal experience (my N4 can't use LTE), but I've never heard anything about one T-Mobile plan getting different data than another. The "catch" of the $30 plan is the 100 minutes. That's not close to enough for most customers.

bluefalcon13

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Well... That was short lived... Wife had some words with a CSR from Sprint regarding her military discount, and we stopped my a T-Mobile store to LOOK at an S4 for her. Now I am on a family plan! BTW, T-Mobile offers a 15% military discount :)

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
As fast as the $70 unlimited plan? Full LTE, not just hspa+?

Correct. I have the $30 plan and I get LTE all the time with no throttling in speed. There is no difference in service when you are on T-Mobile's network.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Correct. I have the $30 plan and I get LTE all the time with no throttling in speed. There is no difference in service when you are on T-Mobile's network.

I thought it was throttled after 5 GB?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I thought it was throttled after 5 GB?

Right. The question I was answering was whether it received the same data speeds as the $70 up until the 5gb.

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site

Great to hear. Definitely will be switching then. Thanks for the info.

belle7478

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Figured I'd add a question here vs. starting a new thread. Is the $30 inclusive of taxes and fees or do you end up paying closer to $35? I've gotten different answers from T-NO reps.
Also, I could not find info on roaming charges of talk or data. Do I have to worry about my settings if I travel to not incur extra charges or will I just be throttled or get no service?
Thanks for any help.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Figured I'd add a question here vs. starting a new thread. Is the $30 inclusive of taxes and fees or do you end up paying closer to $35? I've gotten different answers from T-NO reps.
Also, I could not find info on roaming charges of talk or data. Do I have to worry about my settings if I travel to not incur extra charges or will I just be throttled or get no service?
Thanks for any help.

I don't believe it includes taxes. It is like all other things mainly.

Csquared

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I have had the $30 Tmo plan for over a year. I get LTE whenever available with no throttle. One thing to consider is the plan gets no roaming coverage for voice or data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had the $30 Tmo plan for over a year. I get LTE whenever available with no throttle. One thing to consider is the plan gets no roaming coverage for voice or data.

Do you use more than 5 GB? It throttles only after that.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Credit Check | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile

I just converted and was told by one rep that I'd be able to switch to the $30 plan after I had be converted to prepaid. When it was done, the plan wasn't available, other reps reported that I was misinformed, the $30 plan only activates with a special SIM purchased at Wal-Mart.

But the page referenced above says "... devices activated on T-mobile.com." Anyone done this? Can you get this $30 plan by activating a SIM that you've received from T-Mobile, and activate online?

Hawnz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Credit Check | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile

I just converted and was told by one rep that I'd be able to switch to the $30 plan after I had be converted to prepaid. When it was done, the plan wasn't available, other reps reported that I was misinformed, the $30 plan only activates with a special SIM purchased at Wal-Mart.

But the page referenced above says "... devices activated on T-mobile.com." Anyone done this? Can you get this $30 plan by activating a SIM that you've received from T-Mobile, and activate online?
You don't need to use a SIM from Walmart, you just need a new SIM to do it online. A SIM from Walmart can be activated by phone too.

Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app