Data usage reported wrong?

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I got the note 3 when it first came out. I was on Verizon before that and always had accurate data usage reported. Then, when I came to T-mobile with the note 3, it always told me I was using more than double what I used to use. For example, my avg reported usage (thru android data usage) was about 5gb/month. my note 3 says I use 11GB a month. Im doing nothing different.

When I add up the apps under neath, I get closer to my regular usuage of 5gb. This happen to everyone else too?

Im not too concerned being I have unlimited, but I would like to know if its a t-mobile thing, or note 3 thing

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine seems to be under reporting so I seem to have the opposite problem but with only one month with them it's hard to say yet. I will see what the next bill says.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Is this with the T-Mobile app or the data tracker on your settings? If it's settings tracker, make sure you have it set to you the right usage cycle.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Is this with the T-Mobile app or the data tracker on your settings? If it's settings tracker, make sure you have it set to you the right usage cycle.

For me at least I did have the settings match the cycle. It will be interesting to see what this next month brings.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar experience with ATT/TMOBILE Vs Sprint/Verizon/USC.... When i had AT&T and TMOBILE i was always getting close to my data cap, or going over, even with always being on WIFI at home and such... With Sprint and now verizon... I barely go over 2 gigs, and i get 4.... Does HSPA/GSM Tech require more data to process the same stuff?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar experience with ATT/TMOBILE Vs Sprint/Verizon/USC.... When i had AT&T and TMOBILE i was always getting close to my data cap, or going over, even with always being on WIFI at home and such... With Sprint and now verizon... I barely go over 2 gigs, and i get 4.... Does HSPA/GSM Tech require more data to process the same stuff?

That's weird. If I use WiFi my data usage doesn't move whatsoever. Maybe you had apps set to run in the background? Usually you have to disable it or set them to update only over WiFi

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
That's weird. If I use WiFi my data usage doesn't move whatsoever. Maybe you had apps set to run in the background? Usually you have to disable it or set them to update only over WiFi

I think was i was trying to get at, is that i am mostly ALWAYS on WIFI, With ATT/TMOBILE, all the times i was not on wifi, it seems to use a LOT OF DATA, but the same phone with Verizon AND Sprint off WIFI USED Half that... Same apps on both phones, Roughly Same data usage!

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. Was just about to make a post about this. I'm on unlimited $70 plan and I get 2.5 data for hotspot. I started slow and just tethered to my Nexus 7 2013 for facebook, g+, gaming and tech sites, email, and maybe occasionally uploading or downloading a small app. Then one day I figured, "To hell with it". I saved some movies and shows on google play movies to offline. I looked at the t-mobile my account counter and it showed only 256 MB used.

Fast forward and I've been downloading large updates, big apps, playing online with my vita, streaming a few shows, youtube, and tethering to my netbook too. My data under android settings for tether says 18GB or something. This morning I finally got a text saying I'm at 2GB of tether and once I reach 2.5 that's it.

So why the hell didn't t-mobile detect this before. I'm not using foxfi or any rooted app (but i'm rooted) just the normal t-mobile hotspot app. I thought it was just my phone. But I've been enjoying the hell out of it just started tethering to my PS3 yesterday. Maybe that was the mistake >.>

I'm not sure how the next billing cycle will go. Also, when you run out of tethering data how do you buy more data? I looked online and on my account and found no option to do so. I believe its $10 for every additional 2.5 GB. I'd tether unlimited but the phone I have doesn't support that. Hopefully my future moto x will though.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Was just about to make a post about this. I'm on unlimited $70 plan and I get 2.5 data for hotspot. I started slow and just tethered to my Nexus 7 2013 for facebook, g+, gaming and tech sites, email, and maybe occasionally uploading or downloading a small app. Then one day I figured, "To hell with it". I saved some movies and shows on google play movies to offline. I looked at the t-mobile my account counter and it showed only 256 MB used.

Fast forward and I've been downloading large updates, big apps, playing online with my vita, streaming a few shows, youtube, and tethering to my netbook too. My data under android settings for tether says 18GB or something. This morning I finally got a text saying I'm at 2GB of tether and once I reach 2.5 that's it.

So why the hell didn't t-mobile detect this before. I'm not using foxfi or any rooted app (but i'm rooted) just the normal t-mobile hotspot app. I thought it was just my phone. But I've been enjoying the hell out of it just started tethering to my PS3 yesterday. Maybe that was the mistake >.>

I'm not sure how the next billing cycle will go. Also, when you run out of tethering data how do you buy more data? I looked online and on my account and found no option to do so. I believe its $10 for every additional 2.5 GB. I'd tether unlimited but the phone I have doesn't support that. Hopefully my future moto x will though.

When you're out of tether data and you turn on your tether it will act normal till you try and hit a website.. Then it will directly send you to a T-Mobile site to buy more.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
When you're out of tether data and you turn on your tether it will act normal till you try and hit a website.. Then it will directly send you to a T-Mobile site to buy more.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Dammit. This post paid and simple choice crap confuses the hell out of me. I spoke to a customer rep on the phone and she told me that I'm not on post paid I'm on simple choice or pre-paid. Because I'm on that I cannot add additional data I only get the 2.5 allotment every billing cycle. She said going to post paid requires credit check and other stuff. I thought it was weird that when I was at the t-mobile store the process went quick and no new sim. My roomates are switching to t-mobile on the 4th of february and we're doing family plan (not framily..) so I'll go post paid then. That explains it. The customer rep also noted that I had used 18 GB and was surprised. She said there was some note about some customers using a high amount of data and for some reason it wasn't limited or throttled. LOL. She was nice though. Never have a problem calling t-mobile reps I like that. Oh well it's only a few more days.

So I guess t-mobile was aware that for some reason people's data usage was wrong and people took advantage of it. I didn't ask anymore about it though.

Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12