Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    I could be saving big bucks from switching from sprint to tmobile but how slow is the throttle after 500 mb?

    It says "2G speeds" but is that still LTE, so I still get the benefits of the LTE latency?

    What speed tests do you usually get? Is it better than the unusable 3G on sprint?

    Do things like Pandora, Netflix, youtube still work?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-26-2014 at 01:41 PM.
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    20,557 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    I could be saving big bucks from switching from sprint to tmobile but how slow is the throttle after 500 mb?

    It says "2G speeds" but is that still LTE, so I still get the benefits of the LTE latency?

    What speed tests do you usually get? Is it better than the unusable 3G on sprint?

    Do things like Pandora, Netflix, youtube still work?
    I have heard it is around .02 MB/s. Pandora, and YouTube probably won't work. Netflix I highly doubt will work.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. #3  

    Default Re: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I have heard it is around .02 MB/s. Pandora, and YouTube probably won't work. Netflix I highly doubt will work.
    Data speeds are typically measured in kbps or mbps, so around 150kbps (approximately 0.15mbps) for 2g

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  4. #4  

    Default Re: How slow is the throttle?

    Hardly fast enough to stream music.

    That should be a good enough indicator.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: How slow is the throttle?

    It will be 2G Speeds, which is slower then 3G! You would be surprised though!!! I have Verizon... Always have LTE, but when i am inside the beverage cooler stocking at my job, i have 1X (CDMA Symbol for 2G Speeds) and i stream SPOTIFY Just Fine! It All Depends on the carrier though!
  6. #6  

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    The throttle sucks.. I wouldn't be able to take it lol.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by sierrajinx9 View Post
    It will be 2G Speeds, which is slower then 3G! You would be surprised though!!! I have Verizon... Always have LTE, but when i am inside the beverage cooler stocking at my job, i have 1X (CDMA Symbol for 2G Speeds) and i stream SPOTIFY Just Fine! It All Depends on the carrier though!
    2G or 4G that is "2G speeds"

    Big difference when it comes to latency
  8. #8  

    Default Re: How slow is the throttle?

    The throttle truly sucks. It tricks you too because you see the message go over and everything is still nice and fast 4G and you think everything's okay.

    But then once it goes through you realize you're horrible reality. .02 MBPS is fast I believe. I never got over .05 MBPS. When I was in major cities it was always under .05. T-mobile means business when they say they throttle you. I loved the cost of the walmart plan but the throttling wasn't worth it. I'm on unlimited $70 a month now and I love it. Don't ever make yourself go through the throttle hell. Either set your own limits and be cautious otherwise go over and wait 5 minutes for a page to load T_T
  9. #9  
    wessock's Avatar

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

    Default Re: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by mvsmith View Post
    The throttle truly sucks. It tricks you too because you see the message go over and everything is still nice and fast 4G and you think everything's okay.

    But then once it goes through you realize you're horrible reality. .02 MBPS is fast I believe. I never got over .05 MBPS. When I was in major cities it was always under .05. T-mobile means business when they say they throttle you. I loved the cost of the walmart plan but the throttling wasn't worth it. I'm on unlimited $70 a month now and I love it. Don't ever make yourself go through the throttle hell. Either set your own limits and be cautious otherwise go over and wait 5 minutes for a page to load T_T
    With the Walmart plan, was it only thottled after 5gigs? Did you have full LTE speeds until the 5 gigs was up?

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    Walmart plan? I have a real plan, T-Mobile post-paid, no throttle, truly unlimited data.

    Posted using Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4 T-Mobile
  11. #11  

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Holm View Post
    Walmart plan? I have a real plan, T-Mobile post-paid, no throttle, truly unlimited data.

    Posted using Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4 T-Mobile
    The Walmart plan is unlimited text, unlimited data (5GB at 4g), and 100 min voice.


    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    2G or 4G that is "2G speeds"

    Big difference when it comes to latency
    IT Doesnt Matter with TMOBILE, Whether you are on LTE, 4G HSPA or 3G... ALL SPEEDS Will be THROTTLES to 2g Speeds after the initial Data CAP Limit!! I was saying, that with VERIZON... I get 1X (Which is 2G) When i am working in the Cooler which blocks most signal and i can still stream SPOTIFY
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by sierrajinx9 View Post
    IT Doesnt Matter with TMOBILE, Whether you are on LTE, 4G HSPA or 3G... ALL SPEEDS Will be THROTTLES to 2g Speeds after the initial Data CAP Limit!! I was saying, that with VERIZON... I get 1X (Which is 2G) When i am working in the Cooler which blocks most signal and i can still stream SPOTIFY
    Well, if you're on 4G, but throttled to 2G speeds, the latency is much better compared to just being on 2G. Speed isn't everything, latency matters more when it comes to say web browsing
  14. #14  

    Default Re: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by wessock View Post
    With the Walmart plan, was it only thottled after 5gigs? Did you have full LTE speeds until the 5 gigs was up?

    Posted via Android Central App
    I have an Alcatel One Touch Fierce..trying to get a new phone. The phone is only capable of 4G. The highest speeds I got when I wasn't throttled was 12 MBPS. Which is MORE than enough to really do anything online. And that went all the way down to .02 MBPS. I get what you're asking about if LTE gives you better data once they cap you. I don't think think it matters if it's 4G or LTE. I think you are reduced to speeds slower than edge regardless. You can try it out if you want but I don't recommend it. Not until you are almost at the end of the billing cycle at least. That's why i left the walmart plan and went to $70 unlimited.

    It might cost a bit more but the unlimited plan really is worth it. Don't have to worry about saving 100 minutes or using Groove IP or trying to conserve your data. Also, the 2.5 to tether is NICE. Even nicer when t-mobile for some reason doesn't detect your data usage. Should have taken advantage of that more.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    500MB is pretty much useless, 2G speeds will not stream any of the apps you are asking about. While improved low latency will help in response time, in my opinion it is not enough to overcome the constant broad streams needed, especially involving video. $70 will get you unlimited LTE and that is what I have. Therefore, I can't really test to see whether T-Mobile kicks you off the LTE frequency once you reach your limit or not. Either way, I don't think that is what you want. Also, T-Mobile appears to be the only carrier currently offering unlimited LTE to new customers.
    Pat

    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  16. #16  

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    500MB is pretty much useless, 2G speeds will not stream any of the apps you are asking about. While improved low latency will help in response time, in my opinion it is not enough to overcome the constant broad streams needed, especially involving video. $70 will get you unlimited LTE and that is what I have. Therefore, I can't really test to see whether T-Mobile kicks you off the LTE frequency once you reach your limit or not. Either way, I don't think that is what you want. Also, T-Mobile appears to be the only carrier currently offering unlimited LTE to new customers.
    Sprint doesn't offer unlimited data to new customers anymore?

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  17. #17  

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Sprint doesn't offer unlimited data to new customers anymore?

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    They do. He was misinformed.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    They do. He was misinformed.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Unlimited 4G? It is not really clear on their site. Also there is this limitation: "Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 Mbps."
    Pat

    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  19. #19  

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Unlimited 4G? It is not really clear on their site. Also there is this limitation: "Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 Mbps."
    If you add unlimited data to Sprint you get unlimited 3g/4g.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  20. #20  
    movielover76's Avatar
    DalekSec

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Rom 1.6

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    t-mobile throttled is fast enough for web and email , and web is even noticeably slow but usable.
    You might be able to stream low quality streams like the free pandora streams but Google music is no go, even on low quality.
    Quite frankly the high probability of buffering while trying to streaming music make me not want to even attempt it.
    I've got a 2.5GB cap right now and that's more than enough for me most months. When I go over I don't try to stream music or definitely not video.
    It's not worth the pain, though web, email and most apps that are mostly pulling text are fine to use, just a little slow but usable.
    I wouldn't say the data after throttle is worthless, it's usable for a few things. But they make sure you feel the difference because they want you to pony up for the more expensive plans, which makes sense.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    I've video chatted on Google hangouts being throttled, granted it wasn't the most pleasant experience, it was doable for the most part.
  22. #22  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    897 Posts
    Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    I should point out here that you can simply add a data package for a month and remove it the next. If one month your data needs are high, add the extra data for an extra 10 bucks, and then when you are back in your normal month, just remove the package.
  23. #23  
    HawaiiD's Avatar

    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    928 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Sprint doesn't offer unlimited data to new customers anymore?

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Sprint still has unlimited data plans. However, starting June 1st, 2014
    Sprint will be throttling the so called
    Top 5% data user's in congested areas. If you ask me? Every where in the US seems to be in that category when your on Sprint's network.
    Sounds eerie similar to what AT&T said before they implemented a capped /throttled data speeds to grandfathered unlimited data customers

    Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S
  24. #24  

    Default Re: T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    I am throttled right now listening to Spotify no problem using "Normal quality" streaming setting. My phone is showing T-mobile 3G connection (Moto G 1st gen doesn't support LTE). I know I am 2G-throttled though because speed test is showing EDGE speeds and I am way over my data limit.
  25. #25  
    boogas8's Avatar

    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

    Default T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by mkutsman View Post
    I am throttled right now listening to Spotify no problem using "Normal quality" streaming setting. My phone is showing T-mobile 3G connection (Moto G 1st gen doesn't support LTE). I know I am 2G-throttled though because speed test is showing EDGE speeds and I am way over my data limit.
    Spotify and many other music streaming apps don't count against data so it will always use best speed. It's part of T-Mobiles Music Freedom.


    Sent using my iPhone 6 Plus via The Uncarrier
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to redeem your games voucher for the Z1S
    By smurfercom in forum Sony Xperia Z1s
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-29-2014, 02:38 AM
  2. Probably another one of the most common questions you'll ever get.
    By SpriteFan3 in forum Android 2.3 Gingerbread
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 08:44 PM
  3. How to Transfer Data from Nexus 4 in a fast way ? ?
    By prarjun1990 in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2014, 07:46 AM
  4. How do I get rid of giant clock on lock screen?
    By Robynsnest in forum Sprint LG G2
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 11:07 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions