Is T-Mobile worth another try?

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Do you think the your improved Tmobile reception was due to your Ultra GPE having better radio antennas than your S4 GPE and Nexus 4? Or was it Tmobile upgraded their infrastructure? Maybe both?

Well I had all of them in a very short amount of time so I would be more inclined to believe its the difference in phones. The Nexus 4 was more or less usable, the S4 GPE was pretty much useless and the Ultra GPE works great in the San Jose/Santa Clara area. The N4 obviously doesn't have LTE and the Ultra has more spectrums it can use than the S4 GPE.

I suppose its possible it could be network improvements though.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, that's true. I got my Nexus 5 from Google, so that's something I wouldn't have to worry about.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

You can also buy phones on Verizon or AT&T device payment plan (edge or next) and not worry about etf, just paying off the balance of the device of cancelling

Also in addition to having to pay off the balance of the phone, you would have to be on tmobile for at least 40 days before they would give you an unlock code. You can get unlock codes from other techniques though, but just keep in mind the 40 day requirement if you want the code from tmobile.

Compared to say Verizon, they provide you most recent 4GLTE smartphones factory sim unlocked.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious--on Verizon, if you're on the Edge plan, what happens if you want to leave Verizon early? Do you have to pay an ETF as well as pay off the phone?

If Verizon had good 4G speeds in the Silicon Valley, I would've never left them. Just got tired of how mediocre the service was for the price I was paying. If they ever improve it enough, maybe I'll switch back. Although that means no Nexus 5 :(

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious--on Verizon, if you're on the Edge plan, what happens if you want to leave Verizon early? Do you have to pay an ETF as well as pay off the phone?

If Verizon had good 4G speeds in the Silicon Valley, I would've never left them. Just got tired of how mediocre the service was for the price I was paying. If they ever improve it enough, maybe I'll switch back. Although that means no Nexus 5 :(

If you are currently not on contract and only on edge then you would just pay the balance of the device. You do not have to pay any etf. Etf only comes into play when you buy a phone at subsidized pricing.

Once they implement volte then they should accept lte only devices for both data and voice. So a Nexus 5 successor could work on Verizon theoretically if it supports Verizon 4GLTE voice +data

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Well I had all of them in a very short amount of time so I would be more inclined to believe its the difference in phones. The Nexus 4 was more or less usable, the S4 GPE was pretty much useless and the Ultra GPE works great in the San Jose/Santa Clara area. The N4 obviously doesn't have LTE and the Ultra has more spectrums it can use than the S4 GPE.

I suppose its possible it could be network improvements though.
Mine do bro lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 LTE using TapaTalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422467536644.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1422467536644.png
    537 KB · Views: 23

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Living in Manhattan, I've found indoor signal strength to be practically non existent in my ground floor apartment. I moved here when I was a Verizon customer and the one bar signal I had went away after a couple weeks. After months of excuses, I started testing out other providers. Sprint had a similarly bad signal as did T-Mobile and I abandoned them quickly. I settled on AT&T for a while because they made available their micro cell which let me make calls from home again, but the connection was flaky at times. When I noticed a co-workers T-Mobile phone had five full bars at our Wall Street office and my AT&T phone had a one to two bar signal that was still mostly unusable, I walked down the street to the T-Mobile store and signed up. Especially important to me was the "call over wifi" feature that restored my ability to make calls from home without any extra hardware. Data speeds and signal strength have been exceptional for me with T-Mobile in town. I accept that they don't have the reach that other companies do, but I'm here 99.9% of the time and that's what counts for me. I haven't traveled any further than NJ since switching, so it remains to be seen what I'll experience in other areas. As long as I have a wifi signal I'll be OK though.