How does the T-Mobile free data for tablet work?

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile Offering 200MB of Free Monthly Data for All Tablets | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Someone posted somewhere about this a while back. I am considering getting a new tablet and was thinking that one with a data capability might be nice. (My electricity, and hence router, go out periodically at home, so at least I could occupy myself doing something).

But, can someone tell me how this works? The article made it sound like I could get a flat out 200 MB of free data. When I asked a week or so later at the mall store the guy said that you need to pay for the 2 MB and then they refund it. Then a week or so ago, in another store I asked again and that guy said something like you needed to order a bigger MB amount and then they refunded 2 MB of that.

FWIW, I currently have a Nexus 4 on the $30 5 GB plan.

Anyone had any experience with this plan? I can't decide if I want to spring for the more expensive tablet (likely Nexus) for "just in case". TIA.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Basically you have to have a data plan already or plan to as a new customer. The line with the tablet will get an additional 200MB of high speed data before getting throttled down.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I have mine on the 200 MB plan for my Nexus 7. I do not have to pay anything. I did not have a T-Mobile account before this. People who do have a T-Mobile account may be setup differently.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I thought you had to have a t-mobile line already - basically (the way I was told) the 200mb plan costs 10dollars,but as a current t-mobile customer, you receive a tendollar credit (monthly).

Note 3 ~ 5s

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
This is how I did it. I ordered the sim when it was free. When it arrived i put it in my nexus. When prompted I put in the appropriate information, setup my account (no cc needed) and chose the free 200 MB.... Not sure of the order in which the different steps occurred... But it was super easy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I thought you had to have a t-mobile line already - basically (the way I was told) the 200mb plan costs 10dollars,but as a current t-mobile customer, you receive a tendollar credit (monthly).

Note 3 ~ 5s

I think that only applies if you finance your tablet through T-Mobile. I set it up on my dad's iPad (unfortunately I don't have a cellular tablet) and he gets 200MB of free data every month. It didn't even ask me for any credit card info.

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am not sure how much I would use the data plan on a tablet... except for those times when the electricity goes out (which in my neighborhood can be a little too often!). So I am still thinking, but wanted to check back in and say thanks. Yes, the first person I asked in the store made it sound like they charged and then refunded, so that it ended up not really costing anything for those 200 MB. I've been watching prices on the Nexus 7 LTE, but then started seeing mention of the Nexus 8, so I may wait to see that. (Being at a <cough> certain age, the slightly larger screen may work better for me ;)).

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am not sure how much I would use the data plan on a tablet... except for those times when the electricity goes out (which in my neighborhood can be a little too often!). So I am still thinking, but wanted to check back in and say thanks. Yes, the first person I asked in the store made it sound like they charged and then refunded, so that it ended up not really costing anything for those 200 MB. I've been watching prices on the Nexus 7 LTE, but then started seeing mention of the Nexus 8, so I may wait to see that. (Being at a <cough> certain age, the slightly larger screen may work better for me ;)).

Yeah, unless you need more data and are willing to pay for it, there's no real reason to not get a T-Mobile plan with your data. My dad almost never uses his, but it's a great back up when he needs it.

vWvSTATICvWv

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Reviving an old thread but as a new T-Mobile customer with this 200mb data tablet offer...I just wanted to say that yes, it is $10 and yes there is a $10 credit but you still get charged $1.67 in tax. At least that is what it is on my bill.