T-Mobile Celebrates 1st Anniversary of LTE Rollout By Launching Major Network Upgrade Program

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What band would this be?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
What band would this be?

Second paragraph in,

T-Mobile is now kicking off a major new program to upgrade its 2G/EDGE network with 4G LTE...The upgrade will provide customers who currently experience 2G/EDGE coverage new access to 4G LTE

So maybe they're planning a simultaneous refarming of PCS to UMTS and thus redundant AWS to LTE. When I first read it, I thought they were straight refarming PCS to LTE.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So should be band 2 then. I think a number of tmobile phones support band 2 lte already

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
This will help and hurt! Those living on the outskirts of town will now get better data coverage.. but those people generally have 3G phones and rely on that 2G back up when they are hitting the edge of coverage.... Those phones will thus become 3G ONLY Devices... Those with LTE Devices will benefit most...

Ultimately, it does not matter how many customers or what kind of contracts they have... They need COVERAGE.. and not just Minor coverage with a MAJOR amount of roaming agreements.... they need Actual HOME Coverage, Because like i, i travel between 2 cities, i road trip within the state.. and a lot of times, my phone is a paper weight in between cities.... Where others have coverage everywhere

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I did miss this at the bottom of the press release.

?T-Mobile has taken legal action demanding that Verizon cease and desist the carrier?s network map advertising, arguing that Verizon has cherry-picked a single network technology to depict in its ads rather than accurately reflecting the many technologies widely in use today. T-Mobile reaches over 230 million people nationwide with 4G HSPA+, which provides 4G coverage in many locations where LTE has not yet been rolled out. This is in addition to T-Mobile?s nationwide 4G LTE coverage.?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile Celebrates 1st Anniversary of LTE RolloutBy Launching Major Network Upgrade Program

They took maps from TMOBILE back when you could select what the map showed... You could have it show just voice coverage, Just Home Network, just 2g, just 3g, Just LTE or all.... They Selected to JUST SHOW LTE Coverage... But then used the map to say they TMOBILE has no Coverage.... rather then depicting it as a 4G LTE Map

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile Celebrates 1st Anniversary of LTE RolloutBy Launching Major Network Upgrade Program

They took maps from TMOBILE back when you could select what the map showed... You could have it show just voice coverage, Just Home Network, just 2g, just 3g, Just LTE or all.... They Selected to JUST SHOW LTE Coverage... But then used the map to say they TMOBILE has no Coverage.... rather then depicting it as a 4G LTE Map

Yeah I just wonder how T-Mobile can fight it since they list their maps as LTE coverage. Will be interesting to see..

Attachments

• 1394738442556.jpg
    1394738442556.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 41

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It clearly says 4GLTE coverage... Will be interesting to see.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So when they throttle you back after you went over your monthly allowance of data, does it revert back to EDGE or a "throttled" 4G?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So when they throttle you back after you went over your monthly allowance of data, does it revert back to EDGE or a "throttled" 4G?

My understanding is it is 4g network but throttled to 2g speeds

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Yeah I just wonder how T-Mobile can fight it since they list their maps as LTE coverage. Will be interesting to see..
My guess is that T-Mobile is claiming that Verizon is trying to make 4G synonymous with LTE through their ads, and that's deceptive advertising. So while Verizon's claim is technically correct, it is misrepresenting its competitive advantage by leaving out coverage of other networks with speeds comparable to LTE.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

My guess is that T-Mobile is claiming that Verizon is trying to make 4G synonymous with LTE through their ads, and that's deceptive advertising. So while Verizon's claim is technically correct, it is misrepresenting its competitive advantage by leaving out coverage of other networks with speeds comparable to LTE.
Eh... that then goes way back... like when T-Mobile was "attacked" for saying they have 4G when it was really HSPA+...

Gray area haha.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

T-Mobile is referring to a FEW select commercials that DO NOT say "4G" or "LTE" they just say Coverage! T-Mobile doesn't have a claim as long as atleast ONCE in the commerical TMOBILES MAP is labeled LTE and the words 4G or LTE are named, or pictured in regards to verizons map

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Note that T-Mobile hasn't actually sued VZW. They have taken legal action, which is to say sent them a cease-and-desist letter. But they haven't actually filed a lawsuit.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Note that T-Mobile hasn't actually sued VZW. They have taken legal action, which is to say sent them a cease-and-desist letter. But they haven't actually filed a lawsuit.

Verizon would just modify it just enough to satisfy the legal requirements

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Verizon would just modify it just enough to satisfy the legal requirements
Eh. Under current law, I don't think there is anything for Verizon to modify. I quite suspect this is a PR move to draw attention. And it's fine as a PR move, but I don't think it has any actual legal value.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Eh. Under current law, I don't think there is anything for Verizon to modify. I quite suspect this is a PR move to draw attention. And it's fine as a PR move, but I don't think it has any actual legal value.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah I think this as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome