T-Mobile: Shady Way of making me pay for Jump?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I Signed up to T-mobile a week ago and brought my own device the Nexus 5 but found out Service in my house was still terrible 5-6 years later and had no Wifi calling... So this week I got a Galaxy note 3 from T-mobile and "upgraded" ( I probably would of canceled my service then start fresh but i wanted to keep my unlimited Data for $20). When the rep did this She said she HAD to put the insurance onto my account for her to upgrade my phone which it sounds like a bunch of baloney to me. Fortunately now i think it is a good idea to keep it so i can upgrade to the Note 4 in the fall + If I ever lose or get it stolen i have the option to pay $175 for the phone vs paying off the EIP + a new phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Shady Way of making me pay for Jump?

Insurance is to make sure when you trade in, there wouldn't be any problem if it's a bit damaged.

Other carriers simply say "trade in need to be in good condition", tmobile just made sure of it by asking for insurance.

@T-Mobile GN3

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Yea but I never asked for it.... Initially I was just going to go without jump or insurance

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site

Yea but I never asked for it.... Initially I was just going to go without jump or insurance

When I got my phone from T-Mobile the rep at the store told me they had to put JUMP on it at the store, but I could call and drop it. I called and canceled the JUMP when I got home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

When I got my phone from T-Mobile the rep at the store told me they had to put JUMP on it at the store, but I could call and drop it. I called and canceled the JUMP when I got home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

They said the same for me but to me it sounded shady... To me it just sounds another way to sell me a service and they hoped i forget later to turn it off...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

They have to put jump on. You can cancel right away though so it doesn't charge.. They did this when I moved to T-Mobile and also when I went to the Note 3.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Shady Way of making me pay for Jump?

Why do they "have" to AT&T sure doesn't .... There is no technological reason why it is required

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Why do they "have" to AT&T sure doesn't .... There is no technological reason why it is required

Simple they want people to use jump.. Plain and simple. They also have shown me how the system adds it automatically.. So they really can't do anything about it.

It really isn't that big of a deal. You can take it off right away and not be charged. I've done it when I bought the HTC One and when I switched to the Note 3. Simply got in the parking lot, logged into my account, removed. Now if they charged you right away for it then I'd agree that would be unfair... But they don't.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It still is a bit shady especially for some who don't pay attention to details and just pay the bill. TMobile is probably banking on this

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Simple they want people to use jump.. Plain and simple. They also have shown me how the system adds it automatically.. So they really can't do anything about it.

It really isn't that big of a deal. You can take it off right away and not be charged. I've done it when I bought the HTC One and when I switched to the Note 3. Simply got in the parking lot, logged into my account, removed. Now if they charged you right away for it then I'd agree that would be unfair... But they don't.

It is still shady though..... AT&T, Verizon, sprint, and I know online t-mobile doesn't require you to buy insurance or anything to buy a phone or upgrade.

The same lady who did my upgrade signed me up with service the week before and said she "had" to put insurance onto my plan even through I brought my own device to the network which wouldn't even cover it since I brought it to t-mobile.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess so. I tend to not care since I can simply remove it and be on my way with awesome cheap service.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I guess so. I tend to not care since I can simply remove it and be on my way with awesome cheap service.

In the end I decided to keep since I love upgrading my phones but still don't like how they forced it upon us to turn it off and "requires" it

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It is still shady though..... AT&T, Verizon, sprint, and I know online t-mobile doesn't require you to buy insurance or anything to buy a phone or upgrade.

The same lady who did my upgrade signed me up with service the week before and said she "had" to put insurance onto my plan even through I brought my own device to the network which wouldn't even cover it since I brought it to t-mobile.

Verizon requires you to add a data plan to the legacy family share plan even for basic phones when activating. You can later remove the data plan on basic phones but smartphones must have a data plan.

Although Verizon isn't known for customer friendly policies anyway

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site

Well, T-Mobile isn't AT&T, Verizon or Sprint. Just because one carrier does or does not do something doesn't mean they are all going to follow. If that were the case, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint would be offering unlimited data plans, but that ain't (yes, I know it's not a word) happening.

When I ported all 4 of my lines to Tmo after many years with Verizon, the rep said she had to add Jump but I could take it off. When she explained what Jump is, it was no brainer. I kept it.

I don't think this is shady at all. I think it's a good business practice. It gives you time to think about it before you decide if you don't want it. Because law of averages states that as soon as you call and remove it from your account, something IS going to happen to your device, at which point you're screwed. :)

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Well, T-Mobile isn't AT&T, Verizon or Sprint. Just because one carrier does or does not do something doesn't mean they are all going to follow. If that were the case, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint would be offering unlimited data plans, but that ain't (yes, I know it's not a word) happening.

When I ported all 4 of my lines to Tmo after many years with Verizon, the rep said she had to add Jump but I could take it off. When she explained what Jump is, it was no brainer. I kept it.

I don't think this is shady at all. I think it's a good business practice. It gives you time to think about it before you decide if you don't want it. Because law of averages states that as soon as you call and remove it from your account, something IS going to happen to your device, at which point you're screwed. :)

You have 14 days to add it yourself..... A "feature" shouldn't be required to be put on your plan specially if you have to pay for it.... The only reason it is so that they can charge you more money out of pocket. It's my choice to add it not their job to put it on and make me turn it off. It is shady no matter how you look at it

Sent from my SM-N900T

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You have 14 days to add it yourself..... A "feature" shouldn't be required to be put on your plan specially if you have to pay for it.... The only reason it is so that they can charge you more money out of pocket. It's my choice to add it not their job to put it on and make me turn it off. It is shady no matter how you look at it

Sent from my SM-N900T

But... It doesn't charge you. That's the point. If it did right away I'd agree with you.. But it doesn't.. You have plenty of time to remove it if you don't want it. Also we all have said the reps totally explained it out to us so they aren't hiding it from the customer.

This is no different than most deals out there... Not even in wireless but other businesses where you get a free trial... And after... They charge you if you don't cancel. Same with Jump... If you keep it for the 2nd month they'll charge you... If you remove before.. No charge. :).

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

But... It doesn't charge you. That's the point. If it did right away I'd agree with you.. But it doesn't.. You have plenty of time to remove it if you don't want it as we all have said the reps totally explained it out to us so they aren't hiding it from the customer.

This is no different than most deals out there... Not even in wireless but other businesses where you get a free trial... And after... They charge you if you don't cancel. Same with Jump... If you keep it for the 2nd month they'll charge you... If you remove before.. No charge. :).

Still shady..... It's there hoping people forget.. Needing to add it to upgrade is total BS no other way to spin it. Any other wireless carrier allows you to upgrade with no BS claim that they have to add x to your plan that we hope you forget to cancel to upgrade your phone

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Still shady..... It's there hoping people forget.. Needing to add it to upgrade is total BS no other way to spin it. Any other wireless carrier allows you to upgrade with no BS claim that they have to add x to your plan that we hope you forget to cancel to upgrade your phone

Not really shady. All free trials do this as well. Spotify, Google music, amazon, Netflix. Free trial.. Fail to end? Charged.

People expect to much from carriers. Other businesses have been doing this for so long yet no one was bothered.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Not really shady. All free trials do this as well. Spotify, Google music, amazon, Netflix. Free trial.. Fail to end? Charged.

People expect to much from carriers. Other businesses have been doing this for so long yet no one was bothered.

You signed up for those because you wanted to use those services .... You did NOT ask for insurance and they REQUIRE it to upgrade your phone it is BS shady tactics and if it wasn't for the fact it is cheaper I would go back to AT&T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair