T-Mobile: Bye bye to Corporate discounts (update : new accounts only)

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I currently have ever a 12% discount since I am an Allstate Motor Club member. From what I have read, I am not sure if they is going away or not. Does anyone know?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree that in principle, corporate discounts are subsidized by those who don't get them. In practice though, nobody's going to get a lower bill out of dropping them. That said, I could care less because I didn't get one anyway.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I currently have ever a 12% discount since I am an Allstate Motor Club member. From what I have read, I am not sure if they is going away or not. Does anyone know?

Yes it will go away. All are going away except government and military.

April Fool's joke or serious?

Posted via Android Central App

Serious. This was announced before April 1st.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely don't believe government employees should have a discount either. If municipalities or other entities want a discount for their employees, they too should cut a check.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I guess so. I personally never held anything against others if their work allowed a discount for things.. Sure I'd like one but the world isn't fair and you aren't entitled to everything everyone else gets.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. They are doing it so they rack in more money..

Up unlimited cost.. Remove discounts.. Helps a ton to make up for paying ETF fees.

Speaking of etf, honestly biggest problem that I have isn't that they decided to get rid of discount, but rather that they didn't give people with an opportunity to cancel without paying the balance of the device payment plan on a large balloon payment. This in essence is similar to etf on other carriers and it can be a huge one time charge that some people can't afford to pay all at once. People might be upset now but they are still stuck for another year or more. And by then tmobile is probably hoping that they forgot or don't care as much about Tmobile's removal of discount.

This isn't an issue for those who aren't on Tmobile's device payment plan as they can move anytime without a balloon payment which can exceed $600 per line.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Well, TMO just screwed over corp accts

They are probably doing it to pull in more money for the ETF payments they are dishing out.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

T-Mobile removes employer discounts from Simple Choice plans | Android Central
T-Mobile Advantage Monthly Discount is disappearing - Full Details On Upcoming Changes (UPDATE: Legere announcement) | TmoNewsTmoNews
T-Mobile's latest UnCarrier move: removing employer discounts

If you're considering TMO as your carrier, and thought you were going to get a corp discount, nope. Do more shopping around. Is TMO making itself look more attractive to Softbank, by doing this? :mad:

How so? T-mobile is already cheaper then most carriers before the discounts....

Sidenote: i will Leave T-mobile if they are bought by Sprint Aka Softbank

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
My Company is already planning for this change! We have already received notice that effective May 1... I do not have t-mobile, but many in my company do & All Employee's who currently participate in the program will receive a Reloadable T-Mobile Prepaid Rewards Card which the company will be setting up in their system to reload on the first of every month, however the discount will be changing from %18 they currently got to 12%.. Still a decent discount... Check with your company to see what they are doing

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Most corporate accounts can also afford to absorb the higher costs. But what is the real difference? isnt part of it they are also getting better rate plans so loosing the discount isnt all that bad.

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm not accustomed to having a telco abruptly change how much I pay a few months after starting service with them. Are they within their "right" to do so, absolutely, but I'm not pleased with it. For all their hype about no contracts, this is an unexpected downside, that I anticipate other companies to follow suit. From what I've read, Verizon only offers corp discounts on data now. For some people, with the discount gone, it isn't much different than what they paid with their previous provider. Instead of a monthly discount, you now only get a gift card when you buy a new phone, which doesn't do much for people who swapped to TMO with a new phone a few months ago. It seems odd that they're getting rid of corp discounts, but not the military and government ones. They haven't said WHY they're getting rid of it, either. Was it to recoup costs from the ETF thing? Corruption?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

How so? T-mobile is already cheaper then most carriers before the discounts....

Sidenote: i will Leave T-mobile if they are bought by Sprint Aka Softbank

Yeah but with a 20% discount on 4 lines 10gb shared Verizon or AT&T edge /next, and they become the same price as tmobile

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm not accustomed to having a telco abruptly change how much I pay a few months after starting service with them. Are they within their "right" to do so, absolutely, but I'm not pleased with it. For all their hype about no contracts, this is an unexpected downside, that I anticipate other companies to follow suit. From what I've read, Verizon only offers corp discounts on data now. For some people, with the discount gone, it isn't much different than what they paid with their previous provider. Instead of a monthly discount, you now only get a gift card when you buy a new phone, which doesn't do much for people who swapped to TMO with a new phone a few months ago. It seems odd that they're getting rid of corp discounts, but not the military and government ones. They haven't said WHY they're getting rid of it, either. Was it to recoup costs from the ETF thing? Corruption?

Verizon and AT&T offer the discount on the account access charge. So for 4 lines with 10gb, total premium is $160,with $100 of it being the account access charge (data). In that case, the discount is only on the $100.

On older plans they did offer voice and data discount but only for the primary user. So for example I pay $140 for verizon for 5 lines of service with 2 smartphones including one with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE and 3 dumb phones. I get a discount on the unlimited data ($30), account access charge ($40),and line access charge for the primary ($10).

In reality, the discount ends up being close in overall percentage on my family plan.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I guess so. I personally never held anything against others if their work allowed a discount for things.. Sure I'd like one but the world isn't fair and you aren't entitled to everything everyone else gets.
Right, and no one is entitled to a discount on their phone service. These discounts are perks, not entitlements.

This isn't about holding anything against anyone personally either. This is about making the playing field more level, and those of us NOT fortunate enough to work for an employer that provides such a discount not having to pay for those who are. This is about an employee being entitled her entire compensation package - wages, benefits and anything else paid for by the employer - nothing more, nothing less.

Yes I do value fairness. But in practical terms, I think taking away the discounts allows T-Mobile to continue providing the everyday low rates for everyone. I'd rather have that.

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
This is SOOO utterly farking lame. I wished I would have stayed with my broken Note 2 and AT&T now. I don't even get a university discount because T-Mobile is going cheap

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I dont get the big deal. years ago with sprint when i was with on their 1500 everything plan, the corporate discount applied to every line, now only to the primary line, and now with the framily plan, it just applies to upgrades from 1 gb to 3 gb or unlimited data.

seems as though carriers are just shifting away from those thing since it has the potential to be abused.

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Oh, my large University does A LOT of goverment based research and internships as well as grants and funding, so I count as goverment so I get to keep my 15% after all, yay new job!

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
This makes you sound very selfish.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.

In return for the corporate discount, large pools of people were influenced to go to one company or another. Those who weren't "fortunate enough to work for a big company" aren't sponsoring the cost of providing service to other people. If that were so, if I quit having service with TMO, is everyone else going to pay more? I assure you, that there were bean counters out there, who were assured that even after whatever promotional discounts were given, TMO was still making a profit. Making MORE of a profit, by luring more people over to TMO, instead of other telcos.

What you're saying, is like me complaining about equipment being put in your part of the world, that won't ever benefit me personally, as I won't ever go there. Won't ever call there. Won't ever go on the net there.
I imagine your indignation is equally against TMO paying for the ETFs of new customers, as that could certainly be a larger cut into their profits. I switched to TMO before they made this offer, so I just sucked it up and moved on, after finding out later on that they COULD have paid for what AT&T charged me.

This isn't a co-operative.

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

You're not a military account or a government account, so it'll be gone. It's up to your individual company to give you a bonus to make up for it. In this day and age, I doubt very many companies will do that. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, however.

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
My Company is already planning for this change! We have already received notice that effective May 1... I do not have t-mobile, but many in my company do & All Employee's who currently participate in the program will receive a Reloadable T-Mobile Prepaid Rewards Card which the company will be setting up in their system to reload on the first of every month, however the discount will be changing from %18 they currently got to 12%.. Still a decent discount... Check with your company to see what they are doing

You have a nice employer! Reminds me of what the tech industry was like before the bubble burst.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2