Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default T-Mobile: JUMPing from a damaged phone

My wife dropped her S4 for the millionth time, but this time it actually shattered her screen. I was able to put a screen protector on it so she doesn't cut herself while texting, but we figure since we have to pay the deductible anyway to get it replaced, we might as well get our money's worth and get the S5.

So the way I look at it I have 3 options

1. Preorder the S5 now, then once it comes in pay the deductible in store for the S4 and turn it in?
    2. Wait for the store to get them in stock and do everything there. It says on their website you can pay the deductible right there and turn in the phone so I'm guessing you don't have to go in again once the replacement comes in.
    3. File a claim on Assurant's website, then once I receive that go thru the JUMP process.

Any ideas? If I could do #1 I'd prefer that, since I'd have both phones simultaneously to transfer her info from one to the other.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-05-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Default Re: JUMPing from a damaged phone

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    My wife dropped her S4 for the millionth time, but this time it actually shattered her screen. I was able to put a screen protector on it so she doesn't cut herself while texting, but we figure since we have to pay the deductible anyway to get it replaced, we might as well get our money's worth and get the S5.

1. Preorder the S5 now, then once it comes in pay the deductible in store for the S4 and turn it in?
    2. Wait for the store to get them in stock and do everything there. It says on their website you can pay the deductible right there and turn in the phone so I'm guessing you don't have to go in again once the replacement comes in.
    3. File a claim on Assurant's website, then once I receive that go thru the JUMP process.

Any ideas? If I could do #1 I'd prefer that, since I'd have both phones simultaneously to transfer her info from one to the other.

1. DO NOT DO YOUR NUMBER 1 CHOICE. In order to do a claim on the damaged phone, it needs to be the last active phone on that line. Technically it could work but there are too many risk of something going wrong.

2. Anyways if you do it all in store they don't send you a replacement. You pay the deductible and trade in the broken phone. This saves you the step of waiting for the replacement and them going back to the store. This is the safest way to go.

3. This is the way I would go. What I would do is file the claim today so that you get the replacement on Friday. Then preorder the s5 because tmobile guaranteed delivery on release day if you preorder by April 6. The only problem is you will have to wait a day or two for the replacement devices imei to register so that it can be used to JUMP. If for some reason it does not process in time, you can wait until the release and go to the store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't insurance mandated by jump already count this situation? Why is filling a claim necessary?

I felt like you should go to store directly when s5 becomes available, instead of filing a claim.

@T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by boogas8 View Post
    1. DO NOT DO YOUR NUMBER 1 CHOICE. In order to do a claim on the damaged phone, it needs to be the last active phone on that line. Technically it could work but there are too many risk of something going wrong.

2. Anyways if you do it all in store they don't send you a replacement. You pay the deductible and trade in the broken phone. This saves you the step of waiting for the replacement and them going back to the store. This is the safest way to go.

3. This is the way I would go. What I would do is file the claim today so that you get the replacement on Friday. Then preorder the s5 because tmobile guaranteed delivery on release day if you preorder by April 6. The only problem is you will have to wait a day or two for the replacement devices imei to register so that it can be used to JUMP. If for some reason it does not process in time, you can wait until the release and go to the store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the response; what you say makes sense. But I thought the S5 wouldn't be active on that line until it was actually in hand? They don't activate it before they send it to you do they? That's why I thought doing it that way would work.

Thanks for the response; what you say makes sense. But I thought the S5 wouldn't be active on that line until it was actually in hand? They don't activate it before they send it to you do they? That's why I thought doing it that way would work.
    We don't activate them pre shipped. As normal the phone has a Sim in the box and you can call and have the Sim activated when you get the phone in the mail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    We don't activate them pre shipped. As normal the phone has a Sim in the box and you can call and have the Sim activated when you get the phone in the mail.

Sooo does that mean I could go ahead and pre-order the phone now, and order the replacement phone via insurance? Or do I need to wait until I receive the replacement phone before I do the preorder for JUMPing purposes?

If you're jumping into the s5 you can place your pre-order in store and the deductible would be due at the time of the sale. When we check off that the screen is damaged on our end it auto prompts the 150 fee on top of the taxes on the s5

Thanked by:

The store can do a jump pre-order. That's what you'll need to do to get this all done in one visit.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

If you're jumping into the s5 you can place your pre-order in store and the deductible would be due at the time of the sale. When we check off that the screen is damaged on our end it auto prompts the 150 fee on top of the taxes on the s5

The store can do a jump pre-order. That's what you'll need to do to get this all done in one visit.

Oh ok that sounds like a good idea then. Does the pre-order get sent to the store or can I provide an address to them?

Global Posts
    914 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Just a FYI.
    Last week we used my my wife's jump(old plan 6month upgrade) to get her a new phone. When she turned in her HTC one. There was a questionnaire the csr filled out. I remember seeing cracked screen and water damage among other things they had to check upon receiving/accepting the phone. However, I didn't ask what would happen if my wife's phone had
    Any of these damages? Her phone
    condition was flawless it was always in a case and had a screen protector. So we had no problems.
    But, I just wanted you to be aware that
    T-Mobile will check your phone when you turn it in.
    And btw, there is a 175.00 deductible to replace a damaged phone with jump.
    Hope this helps
    Aloha

Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S
    Last edited by HawaiiD; 04-04-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Oh ok that sounds like a good idea then. Does the pre-order get sent to the store or can I provide an address to them?
    The pre order can be delivered to your home. You have 14 days to mail your old phone back from the delivery date.

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    Just a FYI.
    Last week we used my my wife's jump(old plan 6month upgrade) to get her a new phone. When she turned in her HTC one. There was a questionnaire the csr filled out. I remember seeing cracked screen and water damage among other things they had to check upon receiving/accepting the phone. However, I didn't ask what would happen if my wife's phone had
    Any of these damages? Her phone
    condition was flawless it was always in a case and had a screen protector. So we had no problems.
    But, I just wanted you to be aware that
    T-Mobile will check your phone when you turn it in.
    And btw, there is a 175.00 deductible to replace a damaged phone with jump.
    Hope this helps
    Aloha

Yes they check for that. The 3 requirements are is the screen cracked, is there water damage and does the lcd turn on. Tmobile will not send back a non functional device.

Think of it like your trading in your phone. You can get 300 for a 5s or you can get 50 for one with a blasted out screen. Tmobile has to resell that phone in other avenues.

So.... If the phone is damaged you have to file for a replacement before jumping. Depending on what device you own depends on your deductible. It's the same deductible as if you lost your phone.

Thanked by: