Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Default Re: T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and te

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    Cheap phone with LTE or free one (there is one with "4G" there as well)
    Almost there but not quite. As a matter of fact, you can't activate those phones at the $40 level! And it's not available to someone wanting to activate a new line - it MUST be a number ported from another carrier.

T-Mobile to introduce  "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and text-free-phone.png

A free phone off contract would mean that (1) it can be activated on any plan, and (2) that it can be activated for a new line. Besides for which, you have to pay taxes on the phone's full price, so not really free. I wouldn't quibble about taxes, but you seem to be intent on insisting that taxes must be taken into account - so what's good for the goose...

Default Re: T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and te

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    I like that the plan can be used to escape a different carrier, and that if you don't want to byop you can buy a decent phone with T-Mobile. I like what tmo are doing in the world of wireless.

Also I have to say, after a year of Boost Mobile, there are definite advantages to having carrier priority. On BM the speeds were even slower than Virgin's, which were way slower than Sprint's.

With Aio everything is better. The only small complaint is that it takes a few beats for my calls to begin ringing the number. That's scary in a life or death situation. Which brings me to the point that if your cell is the only phone you have it is a necessity.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    I like t-mobile but I don't see any value in the new $40 plan

Sent from my SM-N900T
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Global Posts
    6,607 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/azesasav.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/7a3erynu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/zepeja6u.jpg

First phone is a Nokia lumia 521 which is on Amazon for around $70 no contract anything for metro pcs and t-mobile variants

2nd is some LG cheap phone and 3rd is the nexus 5

When you get down to it the per month cost is cheaper with metro pcs or AIO wireless (buy the Nokia 520 for $60-70)

Sent from my SM-N900T
    Again, the network isn't as good. I had MetroPCS prior to T-Mo and it was extremely spotty (even after the T-Mo sale). Speeds were atrocious to say the least...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Almost there but not quite. As a matter of fact, you can't activate those phones at the $40 level! And it's not available to someone wanting to activate a new line - it MUST be a number ported from another carrier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	free phone.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	112039

A free phone off contract would mean that (1) it can be activated on any plan, and (2) that it can be activated for a new line. Besides for which, you have to pay taxes on the phone's full price, so not really free. I wouldn't quibble about taxes, but you seem to be intent on insisting that taxes must be taken into account - so what's good for the goose...
    I pay about $14 a month of taxes on my T-Mobile plan...

Sent from my SM-N900T

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Again, the network isn't as good. I had MetroPCS prior to T-Mo and it was extremely spotty (even after the T-Mo sale). Speeds were atrocious to say the least...

I've also seen people with t-mobile speeds on metro pcs. Also if we're looking at these plans speeds aren't a factor

Sent from my SM-N900T

Global Posts
    6,607 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/azesasav.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/7a3erynu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/zepeja6u.jpg

First phone is a Nokia lumia 521 which is on Amazon for around $70 no contract anything for metro pcs and t-mobile variants

2nd is some LG cheap phone and 3rd is the nexus 5

When you get down to it the per month cost is cheaper with metro pcs or AIO wireless (buy the Nokia 520 for $60-70)

Sent from my SM-N900T
    By the way, T-Mo does have a $40 unlimited text/talk and 500MB of high speeds data plan. There's also a $30 100 minutes/unlimited text/5GB of high speed data.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    6,607 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I've also seen people with t-mobile speeds on metro pcs. Also if we're looking at these plans speeds aren't a factor

Sent from my SM-N900T
    Maybe not to someone who doesn't use internet. I absolutely take into account my data speeds.

By the way, T-Mo does have a $40 unlimited text/talk and 500MB of high speeds data plan. There's also a $30 100 minutes/unlimited text/5GB of high speed data.

That 40 dollar plan is the one I'm talking about specifically I just don't see a value in it because A) your not a huge data user and probably a basic smartphone will be good enough and B) with taxes and a eip that 40 becomes at least $50+ a month where you get a hard data cap compared to metro pcs or AIO where it is $40 and a soft cap at 500mb and then throttled.

I would just go with the 30 dollar prepaid option before the $40 plan with t-mobile

Sent from my SM-N900T

Global Posts
    6,031 Global Posts

I like t-mobile but I don't see any value in the new $40 plan
    I largely agree with you, but there's value in that it's:

-EIP eligible (which can be a rip-off IMO because of the markups)
    -Uncapped speeds

If EIP is not something one's interested in, or doesn't necessarily need >8 mbps, Aio IMO is a better option.
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3
    jdbii likes this.

Maybe not to someone who doesn't use internet. I absolutely take into account my data speeds.

The your not even in the market for this plan ... I wanted the speed and personally chose this after looking at all and love it for what I pay for. This plan is for minor usage and texting and phone calls and then price is a factor you get more bang for your dollar with metro or AIO

Sent from my SM-N900T

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Actually on Amazon the Lumia 521 (as opposed to the 520 - which is AT&T)for Metro is about $85. Again and again, you assume that someone with the ability or willingness to make a small monthly payment (in case of the 521 it's $5.25) also has the ability or willingness to make a much bigger one-time payment. That simply isn't true, and despite your seeming insistence, the inability or unwillingness to do so isn't "dumb."

pay about $14 a month of taxes on my T-Mobile plan...
    No one said that you didn't. But if you are going to count the taxes, you have to count the taxes Metro charges when you get your "free" phone too.

No one has ever said that certain MVNO plans can't be better value for certain individuals than the $40 T-Mobile plan, but you refuse to accept that for some others, the reverse may also be true. Everyone's situation is different, and neither you nor I get to tell them what their best decision is.

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    I largely agree with you, but there's value in that it's:

-EIP eligible (which can be a rip-off IMO because of the markups)
    -Uncapped speeds

If EIP is not something one's interested in, or doesn't necessarily need >8 mbps, Aio IMO is a better option.
    Your not getting this plan caring about speed since you don't need much data. This plan is 500mb only and then no data at all. I would suggest getting MetroPCS or AIO wireless since it has unlimited phone, text and 500mb of 4g data and then throttled for $40

Sent from my SM-N900T

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Your not getting this plan caring about speed since you don't need much data.
    Don't need much data is NOT synonymous to "don't need/want data speed." I may only use mobile data for very limited amounts of time, but when I use it, I may want things to be fast.

Actually on Amazon the Lumia 521 (as opposed to the 520 - which is AT&T)for Metro is about $85. Again and again, you assume that someone with the ability or willingness to make a small monthly payment (in case of the 521 it's $5.25) also has the ability or willingness to make a much bigger one-time payment. That simply isn't true, and despite your seeming insistence, the inability or unwillingness to do so isn't "dumb."

No one said that you didn't. But if you are going to count the taxes, you have to count the taxes Metro charges when you get your "free" phone too.

No one has ever said that certain MVNO plans can't be better value for certain individuals than the $40 T-Mobile plan, but you refuse to accept that for some others, the reverse may also be true. Everyone's situation is different, and neither you nor I get to tell them what their best decision is.
    Smartphones are a luxury not a necessity (you can simply buy a dumb phone with a pre paid card if you "need" a phone). You save more money long term with AIO wireless and metro then you will with t-mobile

Sent from my SM-N900T

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Smartphones are a luxury not a necessity (you can simply buy a dumb phone with a pre paid card if you "need" a phone). You save more money long term with AIO wireless and metro then you will with t-mobile
    Again, "luxury" doesn't mean "infinitely affordable." People make choices on what luxuries to afford every single day. And whether something is a luxury has no bearing on this debate. In the long run you may be right, but have you ever heard the expression "in the long run, we're all dead?" The long run isn't the only thing that matters. Value isn't only decided by the long term total costs. Immediacy (as in how immediately can you get a phone even if you don't have the full retail saved up) can also be part of the value proposition.

Again, "luxury" doesn't mean "infinitely affordable." People make choices on what luxuries to afford every single day. And whether something is a luxury has no bearing on this debate. In the long run you may be right, but have you ever heard the expression "in the long run, we're all dead?" The long run isn't the only thing that matters. Value isn't only decided by the long term total costs. Immediacy (as in how immediately can you get a phone even if you don't have the full retail saved up) can also be part of the value proposition.
    Then months 2 bill will be cheaper then T-mobile? Out of pocket costs might be Bigger then T-mobile but by the 2nd months bill AIO or Metro PCS is cheaper .... $40 dollars and thats it . Aio you can get an Android phone for $49.99 and the Nokia Lumia 620 as well. Also can find an iphone 4 on Ebay that is an AT&T phone and should be fine as long as IMEI number is clean.

Also the Nokia lumia 520 gophone for AT&T should also work on Aio which is $59.99 on amazon

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Then months 2 bill will be cheaper then T-mobile? Out of pocket costs might be Bigger then T-mobile but by the 2nd months bill AIO or Metro PCS is cheaper .... $40 dollars and thats it . Aio you can get an Android phone for $49.99 and the Nokia Lumia 620 as well. Also can find an iphone 4 on Ebay that is an AT&T phone and should be fine as long as IMEI number is clean.

Also the Nokia lumia 520 gophone for AT&T should also work on Aio which is $59.99 on amazon
    Again, having to pay full price - whatever the full price is - may not be palatable to someone, and your insistence that it must be is irrelevant. Secondly, just like there is no reason to assume that someone on a budget conscious plan will have the most expensive phone (e.g. the GS5), there is also no reason to assume that they will be happy with the cheapest thing out there. Someone looking for an inexpensive plan may not always want the cheapest phone - one reason being cheap phones don't last as long as better models. T-Mobile offers a larger selection of phones, AND payment plans than either AIO or Metro. Someone may went want a decent phone with a cheap plan or a cheap phone with an expensive plan or a cheap plan with an expensive phone. It's called choice, and choice is also a value proposition.

Global Posts
    6,031 Global Posts

Generally speaking, the ones on prepaid plans are NOT the ones buying $600 phones. The numbers are increasing (thanks in part to the $30 plan,) but they're nowhere near what you'd find in Europe, Asia, etc.
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3

Again, having to pay full price - whatever the full price is - may not be palatable to someone, and your insistence that it must be is irrelevant. Secondly, just like there is no reason to assume that someone on a budget conscious plan will have the most expensive phone (e.g. the GS5), there is also no reason to assume that they will be happy with the cheapest thing out there. Someone looking for an inexpensive plan may not always want the cheapest phone - one reason being cheap phones don't last as long as better models. T-Mobile offers a larger selection of phones, AND payment plans than either AIO or Metro. Someone may went want a decent phone with a cheap plan or a cheap phone with an expensive plan or a cheap plan with an expensive phone. It's called choice, and choice is also a value proposition.
    The cheap or expensive phone it doesn't matter aio and metro wins I'm price and value. People who want the latest phones I bet use more than 500mb of data a month. Most people who want to use this plan are not looking for the gs5 and looking for a phone that take pics, Facebook, and call & text. This plan doesn't actually cater to the cost conscious since getting metro pcs is cheaper per month +only 85 for the Nokia lumia 521 or only 59.99 for the Nokia lumia 520 if you want to use aio. The only $40 per month will save you $10+ a month which by 6-8 months will even out buying that phone

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

The cheap or expensive phone it doesn't matter aio and metro wins I'm price and value.
    Not if part of someone's definition of value includes the ability to pay for a phone over time AND a broader selection of phones to do it on. Value is subjective, which is why you can't force everyone else to accept your description of it.

People who want the latest phones I bet use more than 500mb of data a month.
    You can bet anything you want. I know plenty of people who have top of the line smartphones (including the iPhone 5S and HTC One) who are on wifi all day (work or home or Starbucks) and don't actually use 500 MB of data. But they call a lot.

Most people who want to use this plan are not looking for the gs5 and looking for a phone that take pics, Facebook, and call & text.
    Lol, you assume that a phone's only data use is on mobile data, when that is not the case for many, many people. Again, Wifi.

This plan caters to people who want first priority access to a national network, unlimited talk and text, access to the ability to buy a phone by making monthly payments, and/or don't need much mobile data. It caters to people who are on AT&T and Verizon's $45 single line plans which have less data allotment.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123