T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and text

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tmobile to introduce $40 single line plan with 500mb high speed data, and unlimited talk and tex

Not bad for people who don't need a lot of data :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tmobile to introduce $40 single line plan with 500mb high speed data, and unlimited talk and tex

Aio Wireless has a similar $40 ($35 on auto-pay) plan. They cap speeds at 8mbps though, but you get AT&T's network.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Tmobile is introducing a new plan for single line. No international text and data. Still a nice move on Tmobile's part

Day 1 of 3: T-Mobile On a Roll Again with Multiple Initiatives ... First with the Launch of its All-New "Simple Starter Plan" | T-Mobile

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

This same plan was $50 before, right? If only they had kept the unlimited plan at $70 :(

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Tmobile to introduce $40 single line plan with 500mb high speed data, and unl...

I'm on aio. Would not mind trying this out to see how tmobile is on my are but they charge for SIM cards which j think is a rip off. I'll just keep my 2.5gb on aio for $45.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using tapatalk.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

This same plan was $50 before, right? If only they had kept the unlimited plan at $70 :(

The simple choice plan still exists and is available if you opt for it. Paying $10 more gives you international text and data

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Tmobile to introduce $40 single line plan with 500mb high speed data, and unl...

I'm on aio. Would not mind trying this out to see how tmobile is on my are but they charge for SIM cards which j think is a rip off. I'll just keep my 2.5gb on aio for $45.

One time fee of $10. How is that a ripoff?
You'd probably be better off with your plan though, as it has 2GB more data

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Tmobile to introduce $40 single line plan with 500mb high speed data, and unl...

Free sim from tmobile,

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3566819

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

This is pretty dope. What sets it apart from Aio's plans - other than the fact that this isn't an MVNO - is that the Simple Starter plan allows you to buy a phone on monthly installments. And of course, the plan is eligible for Contract Freedom.

But T-Mobile's target is Verizon and AT&T's single line plans @ $45. This plan is both cheaper and includes more data, as well as no overages. I'm liking this.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I don't really see the value

The 30 dollar walmart plan offers more data, but less minutes

The 50 dollar plan doesn't have a "hard" cap. I don't see why anyone wouldn't go for the 50 dollar plan just because it offers a soft cap

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

The 50 dollar plan doesn't have a "hard" cap. I don't see why anyone wouldn't go for the 50 dollar plan just because it offers a soft cap
The Simple Starter plan is obviously not for everyone. But I can imagine a lot of people who will find value in saving $10 a month and still have unlimited talk and text. Maybe they don't need more than 500 MB of data (either don't use data much or have access to wifi nearly everywhere) and want to put the extra $10 towards paying off their phone. It won't fit everyone's needs, but for those whose needs it will fit, this is a great plan.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

This is for those who need Unlimited Talk and text. I believe that the Walmart $30 plan has 100 minutes which may not be enough for some.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and te

There is a $35 unlimited talk and text prepaid plan. No data though.

So what this new option has going for it, really, is EIP.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

The Simple Starter plan is obviously not for everyone. But I can imagine a lot of people who will find value in saving $10 a month and still have unlimited talk and text. Maybe they don't need more than 500 MB of data (either don't use data much or have access to wifi nearly everywhere) and want to put the extra $10 towards paying off their phone. It won't fit everyone's needs, but for those whose needs it will fit, this is a great plan.

But you're still guaranteed the throttled "soft" cap once you do go over your data allowance.

I think tmobile took a step backwards when they removed the "soft" data cap and therefore allowing you to purchase "X" amount of data that expires in "Y" amount of time; Nothing "uncarrier" about it at all. Call me a consumerist, but I can only see the value in this 40 dollar plan if they didn't remove the soft data cap. Normally, I'm a big fan of John Legere and what he's doing, but this doesn't seem that industry breaking to me.

Many people may not see the value in the throttled data, but it still allows you to stream Pandora and use Google maps and therefore consumers bleed less every month when they pay their monthly bill.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

I think tmobile took a step backwards when they removed the "soft" data cap and therefore allowing you to purchase "X" amount of data that expires in "Y" amount of time; Nothing "uncarrier" about it at all. Call me a consumerist, but I can only see the value in this 40 dollar plan if they didn't remove the soft data cap. Normally, I'm a big fan of John Legere and what he's doing, but this doesn't seem that industry breaking to me.

Many people may not see the value in the throttled data, but it still allows you to stream Pandora and use Google maps and therefore consumers bleed less every month when they pay their monthly bill.
No doubt it would be better if they kept unlimited throttled data for this plan. But it IS a $40 a plan. If you need access to throttled data (as well as unlimited minutes and texts), you should go with the $50 plan. This plan simply isn't for anyone who needs more than 500 MB of mobile data in a month - at any speed. But that doesn't mean it isn't an appealing option for anyone.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

No doubt it would be better if they kept unlimited throttled data for this plan. But it IS a $40 a plan. If you need access to throttled data (as well as unlimited minutes and texts), you should go with the $50 plan. This plan simply isn't for anyone who needs more than 500 MB of mobile data in a month - at any speed. But that doesn't mean it isn't an appealing option for anyone.

I suppose this plan wouldn't be half bad for users who use wifi most of the day or simply don't use much data at all. But not having unlimited throttled data is a big deterrent in my book.

Hands down though, the 5 line family plan, $110 a month is the best deal ever.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I suppose this plan wouldn't be half bad for users who use wifi most of the day or simply don't use much data at all. But not having unlimited throttled data is a big deterrent in my book.

Hands down though, the 5 line family plan, $110 a month is the best deal ever.

I think all of us here in AC forums would love unlimited data. But, there is a whole world out there that only need talk/text and this plan is what TMobile is trying to get - that segment. My co-workers that have android phones mainly use talk/text. But they are getting ripped off by the other carriers. We have unlimited wifi at work so we're lucky. And they aren't heavy users like me.

I use the $30 100 minute plan but now that Google Voice is changing in May, I have to explore other options now. I may stay with the $30 plan, I may not.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Is T-mobile's throttled speeds fast enough to stream Pandora?
I've heard that AIO has pretty good throttled speeds, but I was under the impression that Tmobile's throttled speeds were all but useless.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile to introduce $40 "Simple Starter Plan" /w 500mb high speed data, unlimited talk, and te

Should be OK on low quality

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

To be honest if your buying a Plan from any of the 4 Big carriers ( Metro PCS still offers their own plans so i wouldn't include them with T-mobile so they apply to what i am saying) I would think this is a ripoff considering taxes bring it up around $50. If you can pay that $50 might as well go up to $60 after taxes. Honestly if that is to much I would just suggest Virgin Mobile for $35 you get unlimited data, texting and calling with a soft cap of 3GB i believe with taxes included i believe. Also Metro PCS offers unlimited talk, text and unlimited data with a 500MB soft cap for $40 with taxes included with T-mobile service which is the much better deal imo