Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By boogas8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Tmobile putting an end to overages

I guess this applies to some legacy plans. Not sure if it means that old plans will be converted to unlimited, or if they will be converted to a hard cutoff.

T-Mobile putting an end to overages on all consumer plans | Android Central

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Global Posts
    29,807 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: Tmobile putting an end to overages

Interesting read nonetheless.

I'm confused. First John Legere makes a 40 dollar plan and creates hard caps and "overages" Then a few days later retracts his previous statement? Didn't all of the "simply choice" plans have no overages to begin with? Minus the new 40 dollar plan.

Or is this some marketing propaganda where "overages" aren't really "overages" and they define it differently using some vague terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    I'm confused. First John Legere makes a 40 dollar plan and creates hard caps and "overages" Then a few days later retracts his previous statement?

Or is this some marketing propaganda where "overages" aren't really "overages" and they define it differently using some vague terminology.
    Yes. There is still an overage for the $40 plan (at which you get throttled). There just won't be any overage fees. That's the main point. $0 extra cost to the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy1814 View Post
    Yes. There is still an overage for the $40 plan (at which you get throttled). There just won't be any overage fees. That's the main point. $0 extra cost to the customer.
    This.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

The idea is that they will not automatically bill you if you go over your quota.

For data (only in the $40 new plan) they will cut you off and invite you to purchase more.

For voice and SMS, they will simply offer statewide unlimited service in all their plans as long as you have some allotment already.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by jcastilloalonso View Post
    The idea is that they will not automatically bill you if you go over your quota.

For data (only in the $40 new plan) they will cut you off and invite you to purchase more.

For voice and SMS, they will simply offer statewide unlimited service in all their plans as long as you have some allotment already.
    So will the $30 100 minutes plan with unlimited text and 5gb data now be unlimited talk?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    ChromeJob likes this.

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    So will the $30 100 minutes plan with unlimited text and 5gb data now be unlimited talk?

No, it is for postpaid accounts only. That is a prepaid plan.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    dpham00 likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks for the clarification.

Are PAYG charges considered overages? Currently, I pay $0.20 per text message sent or received.

I got an email yesterday, which says,

We’re eliminating overage charges, so your current talk, text, and data* services will now be unlimited in the U.S.— at no additional cost.
    And the fine print then says,

No overages for US domestic calls, text, and data. Pay Per Use features may still incur charges.
    It would make sense if they're trying to make grandfathered plans into Simple Choice (which comes with unlimited calls and texts.) But is that what they're trying to do, or as jcastilloalonso says, only allotted (i.e. monthly billed) limits get bumped to unlimited?

I reached my data cap the first month having my phone and realized that the Internet is next to unusable in the 2g data mode that the phone reverts to when the cap is reached.

So it's all relative what good is it if you don't pay any more if your internet is effectively shut off? In a way this is more inconvenient than paying a little more money.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,711 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deftdrummer View Post
    I reached my data cap the first month having my phone and realized that the Internet is next to unusable in the 2g data mode that the phone reverts to when the cap is reached.

So it's all relative what good is it if you don't pay any more if your internet is effectively shut off? In a way this is more inconvenient than paying a little more money.
    I've used 2g here and it is decent not great.. But better then nothing

Sent from my SM-N900T

I'm confused guys. I haven't had overage charges on my T-mobile post-paid contract since December 2011. Oh, they'd throttle back on the speed, and did the one or two times I used more than my allotted 2GB of 4G speed, but ... never an overage charge. It was part of the contract.

It's only news if they instituted overage charges for later post-paid plans.

So I don't see the news here. Other than Legere doing more posturing and pot-banging, if you consider that news.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,711 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    I'm confused guys. I haven't had overage charges on my T-mobile post-paid contract since December 2011. Oh, they'd throttle back on the speed, and did the one or two times I used more than my allotted 2GB of 4G speed, but ... never an overage charge. It was part of the contract.

It's only news if they instituted overage charges for later post-paid plans.

So I don't see the news here. Other than Legere doing more posturing and pot-banging, if you consider that news.
    He means any post paid plan that they still offer that's grandfathered in that still has overage charges..

Sent from my SM-N900T