Roaming in Canada

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
With the free international data and texting with Simple Choice plans, I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with using it abroad or Canada specifically in terms of data speeds. I know not to expect LTE speeds internationally but wanted to see what people have experienced with this relatively new feature.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Normally when roaming I've seen people report 3g speeds and sometimes 2g.

It would be nice if someone did have some first hand with it though. Free 3g data isn't bad when going international :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

jcastilloalonso

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I've used it in Mexico multiple times.

The phone will connect to the 3G networks, yet the speed will be capped to 2G (128kbps) speeds. It works pretty good for basic/background stuff. You can use your intant messenger, get emails, turn by turn navigation (will take a minute to load and search, but once it's loaded it will work) and will even stream music (just have patience on the initial buffering)

Overall, I think it works decent enough. If you need to send attachments and stream multiple things and really "use" your phone and not just let it sync and keep everything updated, then you can purchase the data packages which honestly are pretty decently priced.

c1arocque

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I just got back from a 3 day business trip. My One worked fine in Ottawa, on the train to Montreal, downtown, and Longueuil.

Odd event.

I connected to the hotel WiFi overnight and when I left the next morning the phone didn't transition from WiFi to cell service. Even turning WiFi off wouldn't enable connection to the cell for voice or data. Rebooting caused it to reconnect.

This happened every night in Ca. It never happened in the States.

Rodgers and two other networks worked perfectly. They did send me a text stating that I had access to the web and offered to sell me high speed data. I ignored the offer and everything was 4G and 3G once I rebooted in the morning.

I look forward to trying this on my next European trip.

Posted via Android Central App

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
With the free international data and texting with Simple Choice plans, I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with using it abroad or Canada specifically in terms of data speeds. I know not to expect LTE speeds internationally but wanted to see what people have experienced with this relatively new feature.

4G/LTE in the cities. 3Gs in the sticks. Less in the middle of no where. What cities are you going to?

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Toronto/Mississauga. Do you know what networks work best there?

You'll mostly be getting 4G/LTE. Rogers, Telus, Bell have the Greater Toronto Area well covered. Plus, you'll have access to WiFi in many places like malls and restaurants. All good.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21