Questions about $30 prepaid plan

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
1. Can you re-activate this plan on the same device (IMEI) after 10-12 months of inactivity? I know the phone number's lost after a certain period of inactivity and a new SIM card will be needed, but I recall something about this plan being only for "new customers," so I want to check whether it works for re-activations on lapsed IMEIs that are already in their system.

2. The description on TMO's website says "Now get unlimited international texting from the U.S to virtually anywhere included in your plan?at no extra charge." Are these the same "200" countries that stateside texting gets, or a more limited set of places? If not, someone got a list?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Alot of people are on this plan and never left!!! :D

Since you have to get a new sim then you would be a new customer. I have 2 lines separately on this plan. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get the plan again.

Have you contacted T-Mobile?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Alot of people are on this plan and never left!!! :D

Since you have to get a new sim then you would be a new customer. I have 2 lines separately on this plan. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get the plan again.

Have you contacted T-Mobile?

It's actually going to be for an international traveler who's here once a year. And a new SIM as the determinant of an old vs. new customer makes sense, because if the phone got sold and the buyer wanted to sign up for the same plan, he'd be SOL. Regardless, I'm ready to feed them different IMEIs if needed :)

I haven't contacted TMO because from past experience, store reps are not very knowledgeable about these procedural types of things on the prepaid end.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
It's actually going to be for an international traveler who's here once a year. And a new SIM as the determinant of an old vs. new customer makes sense, because if the phone got sold and the buyer wanted to sign up for the same plan, he'd be SOL. Regardless, I'm ready to feed them different IMEIs if needed :)

I haven't contacted TMO because from past experience, store reps are not very knowledgeable about these procedural types of things on the prepaid end.

Yeah, I don't even go to the stores for questions. I just ported my number from Google Voice into T-Mobile and did it all through chat and it went through flawlessly.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Damn, I shoulda used Chat. Then I would've had a text record of the first rep I talked to on the phone...

I just converted from post-paid (contact term completed) to pre-paid over the phone, the rep told me that though she couldn't give me the $30 plan over the phone, as a workaround after I'd converted to a prepaid plan (I selected $60 unlimited calling + texting, 3GB 4G data) she said I'd see the plan available. She lied. Later reps told me that you could only get that plan on your account by activating one of the "special Wal-Mart package SIMs." They added that once that plan was "enabled" it would continue to show on my plan (that is, I can change plans on demand at any time). This is my first time going prepaid, so I'm a bit of a n00b at it.

I'm still saving money with the $60 prepaid plan. It would just be nice to have the option to switch to the Wal-Mart plan when I know I'll be doing most of my calling via SIP. Apparently you have to pony up the money to Wal-Mart do get it (and I'm not a big fan of Wal-Mart. :(

And it would be nice if T-Mobile reps didn't lie to keep your business.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Never trust a T-Mobile CSR. I don't think there's anything sinister about their lies, I just think they're poorly trained and make things up to cover their ignorance. Still, the results are the same.

If I were you, I'd just get a prepaid SIM, activate the plan on the website, then get your number ported.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone. Picked up a refill card from Walmart yesterday and activated it. No problems whatsoever with using the same IMEI#

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm still saving money with the $60 prepaid plan. It would just be nice to have the option to switch to the Wal-Mart plan when I know I'll be doing most of my calling via SIP. Apparently you have to pony up the money to Wal-Mart do get it (and I'm not a big fan of Wal-Mart. :(
I just activated my Moto X on this plan online with a SIM ordered from T-Mobile. No trip to wallyworld needed.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everyone. Picked up a refill card from Walmart yesterday and activated it. No problems whatsoever with using the same IMEI#

I just activated my Moto X on this plan online with a SIM ordered from T-Mobile. No trip to wallyworld needed.

Yep, the $30 plan is available if you activate online, OR you have the "Wal-Mart scented SIM" and activate it over the phone or other means. So ... I need to kick myself once again for forgetting to act during the last time they were offering SIMs (limit of 2 per person) for free.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Resurrecting my older thread here, but can someone confirm the $30 plan comes with free unlimited outbound international texting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2