Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rirruto
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Third party text/mms issues

    I'm only able to use stock messaging app when on Wifi to be successful in sending and receiving MMS messages. If I use third party, they only work when Wifi is disabled. Is anyone else experiencimg this on T-Mobile with the M8 or any other device?

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app


    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    I sent a pick to a friend a few hours ago on my stock TMO HTC one M8 using the stock messaging app and NOT connected to WiFi (Edited, originally said not connected to Cellular - sorry). I was connected to LTE.
    Last edited by IAmSixNine; 04-21-2014 at 09:40 AM.
  3. #3  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    873 Posts
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNeil View Post
    I'm only able to use stock messaging app when on Wifi to be successful in sending and receiving MMS messages. If I use third party, they only work when Wifi is disabled. Is anyone else experiencimg this on T-Mobile with the M8 or any other device?
    I'm not sure what you mean by when you use a third party. Do you mean a third-party messaging app?

    A data connection is required to be able to receive or send MMS. What data plan are you on?


    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    This is normal sadly. I did a bunch of troubleshooting with ChompSMS on this issue and they finally said that T-Mobile basically doesn't release all the information needed to make this work so... Having to use the stock is the only way :/.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by when you use a third party. Do you mean a third-party messaging app?

    A data connection is required to be able to receive or send MMS. What data plan are you on?


    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    On T-Mobile a data connection is actually not required. It's the only carrier that doesn't... IF... Your phone supports their wifi calling feature. If it does (most T-Mobile branded Android phones do) it will work MMS over wifi but only via the stock app.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    I sent a pick to a friend a few hours ago on my stock TMO HTC one M8 using the stock messaging app and NOT connected to cellular. I believe i was on LTE.
    Cellular... Is LTE? That made no sense :P.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    I saw something online that said you can set new APN settings and then be able to override this. Anyone ever try that? There is a video on YouTube that shows how.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNeil View Post
    I saw something online that said you can set new APN settings and then be able to override this. Anyone ever try that? There is a video on YouTube that shows how.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app
    I have never found a way. I just use stock when on wifi since I don't want to mess up MMS when on mobile data.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Cellular... Is LTE? That made no sense :P.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Cellular can consist of GSM, UMTS, HDSPA, HSDPA+ and LTE.
    Since your trying to trouble shoot an issue I was trying to be specific. So by saying Cellular that leaves it open to several options. LTE being one of them.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Cellular can consist of GSM, UMTS, HDSPA, HSDPA+ and LTE.
    Since your trying to trouble shoot an issue I was trying to be specific. So by saying Cellular that leaves it open to several options. LTE being one of them.
    Oh I understand it's just confusing since you said you weren't on cellular but then said you were on LTE which is like saying I'm connected but not connected ... Not sure if it was a typo but it was confusing :P.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Oh I understand it's just confusing since you said you weren't on cellular but then said you were on LTE which is like saying I'm connected but not connected ... Not sure if it was a typo but it was confusing :P.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    You are completely right, I went back and re-read what i wrote and i have edited it and updated it to read NOT connected to WiFi. My apologies.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    You are completely right, I went back and re-read what i wrote and i have edited it and updated it to read NOT connected to WiFi. My apologies.
    That's what I thought but just wanted to be sure... I can't tell you how many times I've typoed like that and read right over it .

    Glad we got it though! .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    LOL im glad we got through it too.. New problem of the day. NO LTE connectivity. But thats a whole new thread.
  14. #14  
    Rirruto's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    I keep my GS4 on wifi while at home. I use a third party sms app called 8sms. It's fantastic. When I send/receive MMS, my network automatically switches to cellular (LTE/4G) and once its done downloading the message, it goes back to wifi. There's a setting under Advanced Wifi settings for Auto Network Switch on my phone. Make sure you have that checked off. In addition, I noticed MMS does not work when I have Wifi Calling enabled so I just disable it.
    tube517 likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Rirruto View Post
    I keep my GS4 on wifi while at home. I use a third party sms app called 8sms. It's fantastic. When I send/receive MMS, my network automatically switches to cellular (LTE/4G) and once its done downloading the message, it goes back to wifi. There's a setting under Advanced Wifi settings for Auto Network Switch on my phone. Make sure you have that checked off. In addition, I noticed MMS does not work when I have Wifi Calling enabled so I just disable it.
    If only I could disable wifi calling.. But I need it at my house. My house likes to rock cellular signal .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    If only I could disable wifi calling.. But I need it at my house. My house likes to rock cellular signal .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    It only disables it for a second when sending or receiving a MMS message and then turns Wifi calling right back on.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Third party text/mms issues

    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNeil View Post
    It only disables it for a second when sending or receiving a MMS message and then turns Wifi calling right back on.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app
    Yeah but I don't get a cell signal at/in my house.. So It would be a no go .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Similar Threads

  1. Weird icon on status bar when sending a text???
    By trandz in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-15-2014, 09:02 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 08:35 PM
  3. Having issues receiving pics with textra
    By Sami Witomski in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-20-2014, 09:50 AM
  4. Not receiving picture in mms
    By williams448 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 09:27 PM
  5. Bluetooth voice output issue
    By Patrick Krous in forum Verizon LG G2
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions