Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Very impressive number, Verizon and ATT added around 500k each, so T-Mobile's 2.5 million is huge. Though T-mobile has EBITDA margin of 20% whereas Verizon has 52%.

    T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014 | Android Central
    Almeuit likes this.
  2. #2  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    953 Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Very impressive number, Verizon and ATT added around 500k each, so T-Mobile's 2.5 million is huge. Though T-mobile has EBITDA margin of 20% whereas Verizon has 52%.

    T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014 | Android Central
    This honestly doesn't surprise me. They have been aggresively advertising and done some good things with their network. They still lack one big thing, coverage. I honestly don't like their "We now cover 96% of the U.S." because they don't. There are whole states they have no coverage in. For instance my home state. The only way they function in these areas is because they are using AT&T towers, which makes data almost useless and you can only basically talk and txt. So they really don't cover 96% of the country and it is misleading.

    As a whole I love what they are doing, because they ARE pushing the big dogs, but to attack Verizon's maps (which yes are not completely accurate when it comes to showing competitors), when you are at the same time misleading everyone else with your "We now cover 96% of the US" commercials is silly. Verizon's map still dwarfs T-Mobiles, especially the 4GLTE maps. I know all companies have things misleading. In fact all of them pay penalties regularly just to keep doing so.

    But again, I love what they are doing, because they are putting pressure on the big dogs to make changes. I will never complain about that. I am also interested to see what they do with the spectrum they bought from Verizon, and what areas this will affect.
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  3. #3  

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Does this mean that Sprint must be losing customers?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  4. #4  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    I honestly don't like their "We now cover 96% of the U.S." because they don't. There are whole states they have no coverage in.[...]

    Verizon's map still dwarfs T-Mobiles, especially the 4GLTE maps.
    Not to nitpick, but a couple of points: first, T-Mobile don't say that they cover 96% of the US as in land mass. But that they cover 96% of *Americans*. The US population isn't distributed evenly through its vast landmass, and a great majority live in cities and metro areas where T-Mobile usually has great coverage. Add to that its patchwork of 2G rural coverage and it is true that T-Mobile technically covers 96% of Americans.

    Verizon's LTE coverage does "dwarf" T-Mobile's, but the dishonest part is that Verizon discounts a ton of T-Mobile markets that have speeds comparable to or better than Verizon's LTE speeds, through T-Mobile's HSPA+ network. Since LTE is about speed, Verizon's claim gives a distorted view of the market.

    Everyone advertises their perceived strengths. I'm glad T-Mobile is going after Verizon's LTE claims and their coverage maps. It is clearly working not only in gaining them customers but in retaining them as well.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    Does this mean that Sprint must be losing customers?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Sprint lost about 500k customers, and was in the red.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    953 Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Let's not confuse LTE and HSPA+ here. They are not the same. Verizon map claims are for 4G LTE only. Technically HSPA+ is not even 4G.

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_HSPA

    Verizon's LTE maps are more accurate than people would think. I mean in my state Verizon now has nearly the whole state LTE while AT&T has just started to cover the bigger cities.

    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Tests...ts-LTE_id44209

    Again I like what T-Mobile is doing.

    But there claims is the US.

    They say they cover "96% of Americans coast to coast."



    Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014-1399032699852.jpg  
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  7. #7  

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    Let's not confuse LTE and HSPA+ here. They are not the same. Verizon map claims are for 4G LTE only. Technically HSPA+ is not even 4G.

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_HSPA

    Verizon's LTE maps are more accurate than people would think. I mean in my state Verizon now has nearly the whole state LTE while AT&T has just started to cover the bigger cities.

    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Tests...ts-LTE_id44209

    Again I like what T-Mobile is doing.

    But there claims is the US.

    They say they cover "96% of Americans coast to coast."



    Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5
    Their coverage doesn't mention LTE or anything. They mean a connection... Calls.. Texts.. Edge data. Yes edge is useless but they are saying it as you can get a connection.

    I have yet to find a place I couldn't make a call.. But data yes that's an issue out of major cities.

    Verizon claims 4g LTE for their coverage... Two different things. So of course T-Mobile's claim doesn't match.. They don't say their 4g LTE covers 96 percent...

    Also.. T-Mobile said they will have 50 percent of their edge to LTE by the end of the year... So we will see if they can keep that claim.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Also another note I'm not saying it's good they claim that as most are going to think they'll be okay everywhere and not realize this connection only thing... But that's what they are doing.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  9. #9  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    Again I like what T-Mobile is doing.

    But there claims is the US.

    They say they cover "96% of Americans coast to coast."
    You say their claim is the US, then quote them saying "96% of Americans coast to coast. They cover both coasts, and their cumulative coverage area is where 96% of Americans live. Again, our population is getting more and more concentrated in the cities. It doesn't mean T-Mobile is catching up to Verizon in terms of land mass coverage, but in terms of population, it's not bad. Let's not also forget that 4% of Americans is about 13-14 million people, which is a lot; spread that over a vast amount of landmass, and T-Mobile doesn't have to cover 96% of the American landmass to cover 96% of Americans.
  10. #10  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    953 Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Their coverage doesn't mention LTE or anything. They mean a connection... Calls.. Texts.. Edge data. Yes edge is useless but they are saying it as you can get a connection.

    I have yet to find a place I couldn't make a call.. But data yes that's an issue out of major cities.

    Verizon claims 4g LTE for their coverage... Two different things. So of course T-Mobile's claim doesn't match.. They don't say their 4g LTE covers 96 percent...

    Also.. T-Mobile said they will have 50 percent of their edge to LTE by the end of the year... So we will see if they can keep that claim.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Oh I know they are only claiming calls and Txt in the areas that they are piggy backing off AT&T. I made reference to the LTE because someone brought up Verizon's map advertising, which is purely LTE comparison. I wasn't saying it was included I their 96%.

    They still don't cover 96% of Americans however, they just have more areas to use the phones in calling and texting. I called to get service just to test them out, because according to the map they do have roaming in my state, but they telesalesman (and I give him props for this) said he didn't feel comfortable selling me service because my state and many of the surrounding States are mostly roaming.

    Again they are doing good things, as proven by their customer gains, and I like the buttons they are pressing and pushing the big dogs. I just think the 96% things, especially when the commercial says "better change your maps Verizon" because it is misleading. Verizon maps are LTE coverage, not calling, and Verizon has very more pure Verizon coverage than T-Mobile by far. Again my state has 75% Verizon customer base, because Verizon had nearly the entire state covered in LTE even, while the only other company to exist at all is prepaid companies and AT&T.

    When I look at companies (because I have had all of them), I look at pure coverage, not roaming etc.

    Also like I stated before, it will be interesting to see how much spectrum, where it is and how they use it when it comes from T-Mobiles recent spectrum purchase from Verizon. Personally I would like to see more competition in my state, because there is really only one choice.

    Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  11. #11  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    953 Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Also another note I'm not saying it's good they claim that as most are going to think they'll be okay everywhere and not realize this connection only thing... But that's what they are doing.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Ya it's all about marketing, every company does it in some shape or form. T-Mobile is pushing the envelope which is good. AT&T isn't really, Sprint definitely not and Verizon just continues to thrive off the fact no one can match their coverage, especially LTE. AT&T got the Altel buyout in my state, and has completely dropped the ball on capitalizing on it as they continue to lose customers. Altel was really really good competition to Verizon in my state, and in general, hence Verizon buying them out lol.

    Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  12. #12  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    953 Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    I guess my beef overall is when you say you cover 96% of Americans, it should mean you cover them, not that including roaming, because at that point the towers you are roaming on technically are covering them. Other than that, like I said I love their aggressiveness and direction.

    Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  13. #13  

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    I guess my beef overall is when you say you cover 96% of Americans, it should mean you cover them, not that including roaming, because at that point the towers you are roaming on technically are covering them. Other than that, like I said I love their aggressiveness and direction.

    Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5
    True but they are going to spin marketing to their advantage. No one competes with Verizon in coverage.. They are great in that.

    T-Mobile is good for those who don't travel much (like me) but for others.. Verizon. If I had good wifi at work (where I use most of my data) I would be on Verizon... But since I use tons of mobile data... I need the unlimited of T-Mobile for now.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    fofjjsr likes this.
  14. #14  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    953 Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    True but they are going to spin marketing to their advantage. No one competes with Verizon in coverage.. They are great in that.

    T-Mobile is good for those who don't travel much (like me) but for others.. Verizon. If I had good wifi at work (where I use most of my data) I would be on Verizon... But since I use tons of mobile data... I need the unlimited of T-Mobile for now.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Agreed. Every company spins something or other to their advantage. No company is immune from that. I am not trying to start a flame war here either (not saying there is one, just good convo atm), because I do think T-Mobile is doing a lot of good things, a lot.
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  15. #15  

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    Agreed. Every company spins something or other to their advantage. No company is immune from that. I am not trying to start a flame war here either (not saying there is one, just good convo atm), because I do think T-Mobile is doing a lot of good things, a lot.
    Oh no worries I didn't think you were trying to start one. As you said just good discussion .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  16. #16  
    HawaiiD's Avatar

    Posts
    986 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,006 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    Let's not confuse LTE and HSPA+ here. They are not the same. Verizon map claims are for 4G LTE only. Technically HSPA+ is not even 4G.

    Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5
    In Hawaii from what I see on Ave.
    My co-workers Verizon lte speeds
    Is anywhere from 8-15MB DL. I never did see his LTE hit 20MB in 2 years since it went live. At work anyways.
    On T-Mobile I used to have Hspa+ at work (now LTE) I
    would Ave 12-18MB DL.
    What are you basing your 4G argument on? Speed?
    Also, HSPA+ can do simultaneous voice and data. At this point LTE doesn't?
    To me HSPA+ is still technically more advanced than LTE.

    So is LTE at this point a true 4G
    Technology?

    My point is ... What is real definition of 4G? For all intent and purposes?

    Here is a Verizon LTE speed test video in Hawaii. If you watch this video
    You will see why I feel "4G" lte is just
    An advertising pitch.



    Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S
  17. #17  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    953 Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    LTE does voice and data at the same time. There wasn't really an argument just saying HSPA+ is advanced 3G. HSPA+ is not more advanced than LTE, otherwise why would everyone be rolling it out? It wasn't HSPA+ that allowed voice and data at the same time, it was the GSM networks (T-Mobile and AT&T) vs. CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) that was the difference. Now with LTE (and the use of SIM cards) Verizon's LTE network can do voice and data.

    As far as the speed thing, I hate getting into that because that can have so many variables (location, subscribers, population, coverage, etc, etc) because there are times I have pulled down 50mps in some areas and much much lower in others. Also my speeds can vary depending on the time of day also.

    Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    In Hawaii from what I see on Ave.
    My co-workers Verizon lte speeds
    Is anywhere from 8-15MB DL. I never did see his LTE hit 20MB in 2 years since it went live. At work anyways.
    On T-Mobile I used to have Hspa+ at work (now LTE) I
    would Ave 12-18MB DL.
    What are you basing your 4G argument on? Speed?
    Also, HSPA+ can do simultaneous voice and data. At this point LTE doesn't?
    To me HSPA+ is still technically more advanced than LTE.

    So is LTE at this point a true 4G
    Technology?

    My point is ... What is real definition of 4G? For all intent and purposes?

    Here is a Verizon LTE speed test video in Hawaii. If you watch this video
    You will see why I feel "4G" lte is just
    An advertising pitch.



    Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Supposedly volte should be available by end of month. Even now, voice can be used simultaneously with LTE data, just not volte.

    For me 4g is any speed substantially faster than 3g.

    Keep in mind dc- hspa+ can hit 42mbps,whereas 5x5 700MHz lte such as what Tmobile bought from Verizon maxes at 37.5mbps.

    As for real speeds it varies depending on so many variables. You will find fast 4GLTE speed tests and slow 4GLTE speed tests. Same with hspa+ or any other technology.


    This is near a few large shopping centers and large movie theater. I can get higher speeds at non peak times on Verizon




    This is at my work on 4GLTE , which is among multiple high rises. I do not have 20x20mhz here either. My co-worker has tmobile and their 4g(per the indicator) at this spot is slow, probably around 2mbps or less.


    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  19. #19  
    HawaiiD's Avatar

    Posts
    986 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,006 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Supposedly volte should be available by end of month. Even now, voice can be used simultaneously with LTE data, just not volte.

    For me 4g is any speed substantially faster than 3g.

    Keep in mind dc- hspa+ can hit 42mbps,whereas 5x5 700MHz lte such as what Tmobile bought from Verizon maxes at 37.5mbps.

    As for real speeds it varies depending on so many variables. You will find fast 4GLTE speed tests and slow 4GLTE speed tests. Same with hspa+ or any other technology.


    This is near a few large shopping centers and large movie theater. I can get higher speeds at non peak times on Verizon


    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/06/u8ydegem.jpg

    This is at my work on 4GLTE , which is among multiple high rises. I do not have 20x20mhz here either. My co-worker has tmobile and their 4g(per the indicator) at this spot is slow, probably around 2mbps or less.
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/06/ynu8ujyj.jpg

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Point taken...
    However,
    My opinion was based on someone saying hpsa+isn't true 4G?
    Like you, I assume when we use the term 4G, it is based mostly on the higher speed we get over again what we call 3G.
    How can one say hspa+ isn't true 4G? HSPA+ in certain places I know not only here but other cities is faster than some 4G LTE networks. Here's another, what if your still on sprint's 4G Wimax?
    How can we designate it 4G? It is slow compared to Hspa+or LTE?
    I do know voice over LTE is right around the corner. But as of yet it is not implemented. From what I have read, Verizon's voice over lte was supposed to go live the end of last year when they started to refarm the 850mhz cdma spectrum.
    I also hope that when Volte goes live? Companies like Verizon and AT&T won't kill grandfathered unlimited plans?
    Anyway, though it is an exciting time to be apart of this wireless revolution.


    Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S
  20. #20  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    953 Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    HPSA+ is technically not 4G. That was my point. It is advanced 3G. I didn't day it wasn't faster than 3G. Again speeds as dpham00 printed out can vary depending on a variety of reasons. When I had Sprint, I was in an area that was "4G" and my speeds were 2mps max, while friends of mine on AT&T and Verizon had faster speeds run on 3G.

    There are so many variants to speed. Time of day, traffic, tower locations (or signal stength) that can affect speeds.

    But no, HSPA+ is not true 4G, it's called that, but look it up, AT&T pays out a large every year just to keep calling it that. It's a marketing thing, just like disgust before in this thread. I mean Verizon pays out fines over the LTE maps because to keep them up as advertising, because they don't update them everytime one of the other carriers updates their LTE maps. Even WiMax was not "true" 4G. When 4G first came out it was advertised that way by all the companies, but it was more a just an amp'd up 3G. Faster yes, but not true 4G.

    Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  21. #21  
    HawaiiD's Avatar

    Posts
    986 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,006 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    HPSA+ is technically not 4G. That was my point. It is advanced 3G. I didn't day it wasn't faster than 3G. Again speeds as dpham00 printed out can vary depending on a variety of reasons. When I had Sprint, I was in an area that was "4G" and my speeds were 2mps max, while friends of mine on AT&T and Verizon had faster speeds run on 3G.

    There are so many variants to speed. Time of day, traffic, tower locations (or signal stength) that can affect speeds.

    But no, HSPA+ is not true 4G, it's called that, but look it up, AT&T pays out a large every year just to keep calling it that. It's a marketing thing, just like disgust before in this thread. I mean Verizon pays out fines over the LTE maps because to keep them up as advertising, because they don't update them everytime one of the other carriers updates their LTE maps. Even WiMax was not "true" 4G. When 4G first came out it was advertised that way by all the companies, but it was more a just an amp'd up 3G. Faster yes, but not true 4G.

    Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5
    That's what I am trying to say. 4G is just a marketing pitch. Even current
    State of LTE is not considered true 4G but a stopgap or pre 4th generation . I was trying to convey, that if HSPA+ isn''t considered 4G? Then why is LTE considered 4G.The next generation LTE Advanced and Wimax 2 are going to follow the standards laid out by the International mobile telecommunications advanced
    To be considered this so called 4G.

    Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S
  22. #22  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    953 Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    That's what I am trying to say. 4G is just a marketing pitch. Even current
    State of LTE is not considered true 4G but a stopgap or pre 4th generation . I was trying to convey, that if HSPA+ isn''t considered 4G? Then why is LTE considered 4G.The next generation LTE Advanced and Wimax 2 are going to follow the standards laid out by the International mobile telecommunications advanced
    To be considered this so called 4G.

    Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    I never said LTE was "true 4G", it is still just another advancement of the 3G networks (including HSPA+) that were marketed as 4G before LTE started rolling out. But it is just that. It is an advancement over HSPA+, WiMax, and the other original marketed 4G networks.

    Although marketed as a 4G wireless service, LTE (as specified in the 3GPP Release 8 and 9 document series) does not satisfy the technical requirements the 3GPP consortium has adopted for its new standard generation, and which were originally set forth by the ITU-R organization in its IMT-Advanced specification. However, due to marketing pressures and the significant advancements that WIMAX, HSPA+ and LTE bring to the original 3G technologies, ITU later decided that LTE together with the aforementioned technologies can be called 4G technologies.[7] The LTE Advanced standard formally satisfies the ITU-R requirements to be considered IMT-Advanced. And to differentiate LTE Advanced and WiMAX-Advanced from current 4G technologies, ITU has defined them as "True 4G".

    I mean if HSPA+ was faster than LTE, why is AT&T and the other GSM carriers rolling out LTE and Sprint dropping WiMax for LTE? Because it is another advancement in the 3G networks (that is again, called 4g), I am not trying to get into an argument about speeds, because again so many variables can come into play there, but LTE is the best data network available right now, and soon to advance to VoLTE, which should be interesting, because the biggest obstacle from what I have read is how they are going to handle the minutes, because it will all be over data at that point. I mean minutes and text have pretty much become standard unlimited. There is even LTE Advanced, however that is not in the U.S. that was being tested for instance by Samsung, who even launched an Galaxy S4 LTE Advanced phone in Korea. Samsung has even been rumored to be tested and 5G network (no idea how that works considering a real 4G network hasn't even really been established yet lol).
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  23. #23  

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    That's what I am trying to say. 4G is just a marketing pitch. Even current
    State of LTE is not considered true 4G but a stopgap or pre 4th generation . I was trying to convey, that if HSPA+ isn''t considered 4G? Then why is LTE considered 4G.The next generation LTE Advanced and Wimax 2 are going to follow the standards laid out by the International mobile telecommunications advanced
    To be considered this so called 4G.

    Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    I don't care what others call it. I call it fast! I get awesome speeds from T-Mobile just about everywhere I go. And it's unlimited. Coverage doesn't matter too much to me because I don't travel often. In the suburbs of Chicago, their coverage, speeds, and service are phenomenal.

    Sent from the Samsung Galaxy Note 3...yeah, it's spectacular.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    HPSA+ is technically not 4G. That was my point. It is advanced 3G. I didn't day it wasn't faster than 3G. Again speeds as dpham00 printed out can vary depending on a variety of reasons. When I had Sprint, I was in an area that was "4G" and my speeds were 2mps max, while friends of mine on AT&T and Verizon had faster speeds run on 3G.

    There are so many variants to speed. Time of day, traffic, tower locations (or signal stength) that can affect speeds.

    But no, HSPA+ is not true 4G, it's called that, but look it up, AT&T pays out a large every year just to keep calling it that. It's a marketing thing, just like disgust before in this thread. I mean Verizon pays out fines over the LTE maps because to keep them up as advertising, because they don't update them everytime one of the other carriers updates their LTE maps. Even WiMax was not "true" 4G. When 4G first came out it was advertised that way by all the companies, but it was more a just an amp'd up 3G. Faster yes, but not true 4G.

    Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5
    You sure? I could of swore the government said HSPA is 4g Hence why AT&T and T-Moblie can call it that.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  25. #25  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    953 Posts

    Default Re: T-Mobile adds 2.5 million new customers in Q1 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    You sure? I could of swore the government said HSPA is 4g Hence why AT&T and T-Moblie can call it that.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    HSPA+, or Evolved High-Speed Packet Access, is a technical standard for wireless, broadband telecommunication. HSPA+ enhances the widely used WCDMA (UMTS) based 3G networks with higher speeds for the end user that are comparable to the newer LTE networks. HSPA+ was first defined in the technical standard 3GPP release 7 and expanded further in later releases.

    In the United States, it is commonly available under AT&T Mobility and T-Mobile US.


    The technology also delivers significant battery life improvements and dramatically quicker wake-from-idle time – delivering a true always-on connection. HSPA+ should not be confused with LTE, which uses a new air interface based on OFDMA technology. HSPA+ is an evolution of HSPA that upgrades the existing 3G network and provides a method for telecom operators to migrate towards 4G speeds without deploying a new radio interface.

    The ITU or International Telecommunications Union stated after a December 6th meeting that “It is recognized that [4G], while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed.

    So yes they are allowed to call it that. But again, it is still just an advanced 3G network.

    T-Mobile will likely further step up the argument that it offers 4G performance as well as press the attack against AT&T and Sprint. We’ve seen T-Mobile define “4G” using their own methodology but their argument was predicated on the earlier ITU decision that Wimax and LTE were not 4G networks. This could very well be a huge pickup for the T-Mobile marketing campaign. Now they can fight the battle where it really needs to be fought, on the speed front, an area where T-Mobile is definitely ready to continue to fight. This will be one to watch.

    HSPA+ or Evolved High Speed Packet Access, is a souped-up version of HSUPA and HSDPA 3G standards with speeds comparable to the newer LTE networks. Theoretical speeds are said to feature download speeds up to 168Mbps and uplink of 22Mbps. These are of course theoretical speeds, with the actual speed available to users being much lower. While most HSPA+ networks around the world boast a theoretical 21Mbps(download) speed, T-Mobile(USA) and Deutsche Telekom(Germany) feature 42Mbps networks. A hotly debated issue is the 4G tag offered by cellular network companies to advertise their HSPA+ networks(T-mobile and AT&T), while most accept that it should be considered, at most, a 3.75G network.

    On the other hand, LTE, or Long Term Evolution, is considered a “true” 4G network. Theoretical speeds boast downlink speeds of 300Mbps and uploads of 75Mbps. LTE, which is an IP-based system, is a complete redesign and simplication of 3G network architecture resulting in a marked reduction in transfer latency. Because of this, LTE is not compatible with 2G and 3G networks and thus, functions on an entirely different wireless spectrum. Unfortunately, this means that erecting an LTE network requires it to be built from the ground up. This is one of the main factors behind the delayed launch of complete 4G LTE networks.

    The reason you see T-Mobile and AT&T converting to LTE (all be it at a much slower rate) is because LTE is more widely considered a "true 4G" network (even though it still is just an even more amp'd up 3G network, just requiring to be built from the ground up), and the top end speeds and better penetration. While in some areas HSPA+ has top out at higher speeds than LTE, most companies (including Verizon) have not use the bandwidth capacities it is capable of. Altough, Verizon feeling the pressure from the speed comparisons of AT&T and T-Mobile, has begun to change there LTE Network. They are rolling it out slowly and quietly however.

    Verizon dramatically increases LTE network capacity in major cities | Android Central
    Watch out AT&T: Verizon€™s new LTE network monster stirs in NYC €” Tech News and Analysis

    Some of those articles are older, but Verizon has felt the most pressure in the major cities, so you will see the speed increases slowly roll out there first from what I have read. Although the speed increases are more about increasing capacity than anything, because of the capacity restrictions on the LTE network. Hope this kinda clears up what I am trying to get at. I am not trying to say something isn't "faster" than the original 3G, because HSPA+ definitely is. I am just trying to show there is a reason all the major carriers are converting to LTE.

    Edit: AT&T no longer pays that fine, because as stated above, HSPA+ was recognized as being able to be called 4G on December 6.
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 05:49 PM
  2. Pictures not showing in texts
    By Christina Evans1 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2014, 11:09 PM
  3. Don't see Enable Widgets in Security Settings
    By david_ms in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-05-2014, 09:43 AM
  4. Moto X losing connection to mobile data after idling
    By JP Velderrain Spence in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-04-2014, 08:15 AM
  5. Hancom office for n10.1 2014
    By Nychotxxx in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 11:36 AM

Posting Permissions