Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default tired of T-Mobiles indoor coverage.

I live in Wilmington, NC where Verizon and att are king. I switched from spring a few months ago due to their garbage services. The last few weeks my LTE here in town has been so spotty. How can t mobile call this a LTE city when LTE covers 3 or 4 roads of the city. I hit 2g today at the beach in town and it pissed me off. You can't do anything with 2g. Its 2014 and this company does great jobs in huge cities but smaller cities get half *** LTE coverage. My indoor coverage of my one story home is pathetic. I actually don't even get bars inside, but Verizon has full bars. If t mobile doesn't fix their terrible network, I'm gone.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: tired of T-Mobiles indoor coverage.

Sorry for your frustration but this is known fact... T-Mobile is known for being a "city" carrier. The main cities it's great.. It's issue is what you said... Crappy in between and smaller cities.

You need to always test a network before jumping. Don't believe media hype.. Don't believe commercials. Check YOUR area since carriers are very very area dependent. Most have prepaid plans you can buy to test it day by day so you don't have to pay much.. That way you can see how the data, call, and text coverage is for your area.

Sorry again you're having this much trouble but you always check before you jump. You need to probably go to Verizon or AT&T if you know they are good. T-Mobile is working to fix those areas that are bad but it's going to take time and definitely won't be an overnight thing.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    889 Global Posts

Bars and coverage aren't exactly the same. Are you actually having trouble making, receiving or holding calls indoors?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jaramie3 View Post
    My indoor coverage of my one story home is pathetic. I actually don't even get bars inside, but Verizon has full bars.
    Call T-Mobile and ask them about a signal booster: Cell Phone Signal Booster - Plug-And-Play, Guaranteed to Work - Cel-Fi If you have the Simple Choice plan, they'll send you one for free (well, for $7 shipping/handling), and you don't pay a cent unless you break it or never return it if you leave T-Mobile. They say you need at least a bar of reception, so check if there's any place in your house with one bar. I have a Cel-Fi and it works great.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I actually did s pre paid account for about a week and it was great. But this has been recently the service has gotten worse. I've called t mobile a dozen times and its the same thing. They put a trouble ticket in and nothing changes. I can still make calls, crystal clear, text are fine, and but the data and the phone suddenly drops to zero bars. The inconsistency is what I dislike the most.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I've called about this but they told me it won't help since I'm in an LTE area or something like that.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I can make and receive calls just fine. Text messages are solid but picture messages are an issue when getting them from someone on another carrier

Oh I see. I thought you were having problems with calls. Yeah, the Cel-Fi is primarily to boost voice, but doesn't do anything about LTE. I think it boosts HSPA+, but it only works while on a call, so if you're just trying to access the web, it won't help.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yup and accessing the web is my issue

Global Posts
    889 Global Posts

Text messages are solid but picture messages are an issue when getting them from someone on another carrier
    Are you not receiving MMS at all from other carriers? Is it just being delayed? What kind of problems exactly?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

They don't get my MMS land I don't get theirs on time.

It really depends on many factors. I am on Verizon and at my work indoors , Verizon's 700 MHz LTE is heavily loaded, around 2mbps. On Verizon's aws, which is also 1700 /2100 MHz like tmobile, lte is fast, around 20 mbps. But as always there are a variety of factors involved. TMobile is getting 700 MHz A-Block from Verizon but unfortunately it doesn't cover North Carolina. TMobile will convert their edge network to lte by mid next year, but obviously that is still some way out, and even then no guarantees.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Might wanna make sure there isn't a reception issue with your phone if Tmobile's service worked good for you before in the same area.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

The only places I have a problem with indoor coverage are supermarkets, and Walmarts, that's it, no where else.

All I'm going to say is give them til the end of this year, if nothing improves then go. But supposedly they will be converting 50% of their 2G network to 4G LTE by years end, and adding 700mhz coverage. So, at least give them til the end of the year, if you can bear it.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I'm not going anywhere at the moment. I'm just very disappointed with the quality of this network. I've been to several markets in NC and none of them have solid LTE coverage.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

My wife's phone is the same way so its not the phone

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Call T-Mobile and ask them about a signal booster: Cell Phone Signal Booster - Plug-And-Play, Guaranteed to Work - Cel-Fi If you have the Simple Choice plan, they'll send you one for free (well, for $7 shipping/handling), and you don't pay a cent unless you break it or never return it if you leave T-Mobile. They say you need at least a bar of reception, so check if there's any place in your house with one bar. I have a Cel-Fi and it works great.
    Only thing though Cel-Fi doesn't support lte.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    Only thing though Cel-Fi doesn't support lte.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Yep, mentioned that in a followup post. Also, Cel-Fi really only works while in-call--so if you're only using it for mobile data, it won't kick in.

What kind of phone are you using? Is it a T-Mobile branded phone?

I'm not going anywhere at the moment. I'm just very disappointed with the quality of this network. I've been to several markets in NC and none of them have solid LTE coverage.

It will be spotty when it comes to LTE... HSPA is the backup... And then in between is edge. If you're used to a carrier like Verizon you simply aren't going to enjoy T-Mobile. There is a reason they aren't the #1 carrier and coverage is a huge factor in that. They are working on it but.. It won't be an overnight thing.

I'd suggest switching.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    It will be spotty when it comes to LTE... HSPA is the backup... And then in between is edge. If you're used to a carrier like Verizon you simply aren't going to enjoy T-Mobile. There is a reason they aren't the #1 carrier and coverage is a huge factor in that. They are working on it but.. It won't be an overnight thing.

I'd suggest switching.

I get hspa + through the cel-fi booster and the speeds is adequate enough for casual browsing

Sent from my SM-N900T
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

I have a nexus 5

I have a nexus 5

Ah okay. I was going to say if you have a T-Mobile branded phone and wifi at home they have a feature called wifi calling which allows calls, text, and MMS to go over wifi. Helps for situations like this.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Holm View Post
    The only places I have a problem with indoor coverage are supermarkets, and Walmarts, that's it, no where else.

Dollar general stores and Texas Roadhouse are coverage holes around here. It's almost like the dollar General has a cell killer installed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast