Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thoughts on Tmobile switch

I'm thinking of switching to Tmobile (as long as they will give me a Cel Fi for my house). We have 2 iPhone 5's and each had a $200 ETF. AT&T has said that they'd let me upgrade each line (at $25 more per line). Any reason why I shouldn't upgrade both lines before switching? This will put the ETF's at $350 but we could still trade in the iPhone 5's and keep whatever we got on upgrade and Tmobile would still pay the ETF... Or am I missing something?

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

Default Re: Thoughts on Tmobile switch

I'm wondering why AT&T would give you the upgrade with $200 left on your ETF. Are you sure there's no other catch?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I was surprised as well, been with them a while and they will typically give me early upgrades. I don't think it's usually this early though, but they still can't compete with Tmobile prices.

Why do you want a celfi right away? Do you know your signal is bad for T-Mobile at your house? They will only do it if you meet certain criteria... Not just because you may want / think you need one.

Just wanted to say that as an FYI so you don't switch and then not be eligible for one.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

My house shows up on the coverage map as only 2G. I've ordered a sim so I can try it for a month before switching. Maybe I'll be lucky and won't need one but I doubt it.

They would still pay it. But how much will they give you for your iPhone trade in is the question? You could probably keep your $25

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by raymaane View Post
    They would still pay it. But how much will they give you for your iPhone trade in is the question? You could probably keep your $25

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app
    He has to turn a phone in for them to pay his ETF.

He could buy some cheap BB phone or something to turn in and that could work.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Quote Originally Posted by nrvna76 View Post
    My house shows up on the coverage map as only 2G. I've ordered a sim so I can try it for a month before switching. Maybe I'll be lucky and won't need one but I doubt it.

Cel-fi I believe doesn't work with edge 2g

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HawaiiD; 05-31-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S

When I talked to them they said that you can pretty much trade any phone into t mobile. I read the same thing on here from other people. I would sell the IPhones somewhere else then.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

So you need 3G for a Cel Fi to work? Doesn't make much sense to me..

And this may be more trouble than it's worth. I'd have to buy upgrades from AT&T for around &400. Then find cheap phones to trade in ($100?) and I still need to buy phones from Tmo to get the ETF covered then switch service back to the AT&T phones ( I'd have to find a phone that would work ). And either keep the Tmo phones for backup or sell them. They give about $175 for trade on an iPhone 5, not completely awful, I may have to just trade those in... Thanks for the replies.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Oh, and I have read that they have different limits for ETF's now based on the type of phone traded in. A flip phone doesn't cover the full $350 of a smartphone anymore. This is just from reading forums idk if it's been verified.

Quote Originally Posted by nrvna76 View Post
    I'm thinking of switching to Tmobile (as long as they will give me a Cel Fi for my house). We have 2 iPhone 5's and each had a $200 ETF. AT&T has said that they'd let me upgrade each line (at $25 more per line). Any reason why I shouldn't upgrade both lines before switching? This will put the ETF's at $350 but we could still trade in the iPhone 5's and keep whatever we got on upgrade and Tmobile would still pay the ETF... Or am I missing something?
    When you say upgrade, is it at subsidized pricing or on the next program? Is the $25 a one time fee or a monthly fee?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Moto G
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

We're on the mobile share.. So they let us switch to the off contract rate ($130). So the offer is for a full subsidized upgrade which would cost an extra $25/mo per device. So I would never do it unless I was switching to Tmo.