Used over 300GB of data on billing cycle so far - Will I get in trouble?

Telomir

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Just finished talking to customer support (Live chat) - representative said my account is in good standing. Asked him if I am using too much data and he said no, that if it got to the 5TB+ region that I would get throttled to 2G speeds for an entire billing cycle.

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
If they said you're in good standing take their word for it. What plan do you have? How are you using so much data? I'm quite interested... Also, yes, if you go over your data allotment that will throttle your speeds for an entire billing cycle.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Telomir

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Unlimited data 2.5GB hotspot - Hotspot never works, I connect and then my browser is stuck on "Resolving host" - I have a desk job that allows us to listen to music/watch videos at work as long as we get our work done, so Im constantly streaming on 1080p+ for about 60-65 hours a week. I told T-Mobile this and they said its fine. I even asked if I should tone down my usage and they said I'm fine as long as I don't go near or over 5TB - Accounts 2TB+ get flagged and watched more closely.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I used 1 TB before and T-Moblie didn't care.

You're fine.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Should be hitting 5 terabytes this cycle, no slowdown, though I am on Verizon.
se8anyba.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

sparker04

May 21, 2014
Visit site
300 GB?! I've never heard that one before! haha

But that's what unlimited should be right? I'd take advantage of it as much as I could until they force you out of unlimited like they did to me :(

Telomir

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Should be hitting 5 terabytes this cycle, no slowdown, though I am on Verizon. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/03/se8anyba.jpg

5TB? WOW LOL - what are you doing??

- - - Updated - - -

300 GB?! I've never heard that one before! haha

But that's what unlimited should be right? I'd take advantage of it as much as I could until they force you out of unlimited like they did to me :(

How did they force you out of unlimited?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
When my upgrade came up they told me that I wasn't going to be able to keep my unlimited plan. I've been on 2GB since.

You must mean on Verizon.. Which would make sense. You have to buy full price to keep unlimited... They just didn't tell you that.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
When you have the unlimited data plan it is truly unlimited with T Mobile...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
When you have the unlimited data plan it is truly unlimited with T Mobile...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

On a smartphone only. It does not include hotspot or usage on a tablet or hotspot device.

CFR0628

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Dude 300GB? It's meant to be a cell phone not your homes ISP. I hope you get banned. I mean I know it's unlimited but come on.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Dude 300GB? It's meant to be a cell phone not your homes ISP. I hope you get banned. I mean I know it's unlimited but come on.

Posted via Android Central App

He won't be. I pushed the limits on my phone before and used 1 TB to see if there was an invisible throttle limit... There wasn't and they didn't care.

All of it was phone data.. No tether hack or anything.. And yes I have a home ISP :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also just because someone uses alot of data doesn't mean it's their home ISP. I am not to high this month but around 50 GB.... Without using it as my home internet. It's all phone data (with like 1 GB of tether but they give 5 GB ) ... And all I've done is stream content. If you look at T-Mobile's site it even says unlimited is for "streaming as much as you want on our network".

Sorry if they offer unlimited and say that... Then there is no issue. That's like your cable company saying watch 300 channels and you leave multiple TVs on to do so but someone says you're abusing it... And you aren't.

Now I agree people using a hack to make it their home internet is wrong.. Since that's not what it was meant for... But if you just use a lot of data steaming and stuff.. As they have it advertised... Sorry that's how they are marketing it.. You can't blame people for saying "Yeah I want that"... And using it.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1406561460200.jpg
    1406561460200.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

AnotherCookie

May 1, 2014
Visit site
How good are your T-mobile speeds at home that you can push 1 TB?

At my home it's between 5-15 down usually and 1-10 up on LTE. Everywhere else in the city is 20-40 down. I would have to use my phone constantly for the whole month downloading torrent after torrent or games from steam non stop