Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Closingracer
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  • 3 Post By zorak950
  • 1 Post By Bigballer
  • 1 Post By Bigballer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SprinT-Mobile?!?

We've previously seen announcements that somebody was going to buy T Mobile, and in that case it never came true. What does everybody think about the idea of a Sprint and T-Mobile merger?

What if they ran as two separate companies, but partnered on technologies.

Sprint announced that partnership with rural carriers earlier this year where they are going to support 700 Mhz band 12. The A block purchase at T-Mobile made from Verizon is in that same frequency, so that could be good.

Default Re: SprinT-Mobile?!?

Back to AT&T I go ...Sprint sucks
    cgardnervt likes this.

It saddens me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    Back to AT&T I go ...Sprint sucks
    I wouldn't jump the gun. Even if they announce it regulators have to approve.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    Bigballer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post

Well this is assuming it is approved

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- t-mobile
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32GB Wifi
    Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3- T-mobile
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T

The better question is if they do merge, which network survives? If it's the GSM one, I can probably live with it. If it's the CDMA one, I'll probably go to AT&T or Verizon.

Hopefulyl Tmobile gets their 1 billion
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    The better question is if they do merge, which network survives? If it's the GSM one, I can probably live with it. If it's the CDMA one, I'll probably go to AT&T or Verizon.
    I hope by that time there is only LTE

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S

Everyone is moving towards lte. There isn't a reason to keep a CDMA network (other than for legacy devices) once volte is deployed. Lte is more spectrally efficient than cdma and doesn't require voice and data to run over spare spectrum.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Everyone is moving towards lte. There isn't a reason to keep a CDMA network (other than for legacy devices) once volte is deployed. Lte is more spectrally efficient than cdma and doesn't require voice and data to run over spare spectrum.
    I know you're right in theory, but Sprint has already demonstrated a remarkable capacity for poor decisions with their network.
    Thanked by:

I know you're right in theory, but Sprint has already demonstrated a remarkable capacity for poor decisions with their network.
    Lol, Wimax, Clear, LTE, no backbone, clueless CEO:

Sprint CEO Hesse Contradicts Masayoshi Son on Fixed LTE Plans | DSLReports, ISP Information

First Sprint gobbled up Nextel, and then Clear. Neither of which have benefitted customers to date....
    Thanked by:
    Closingracer likes this.

I can only suggest on the most prudent course of action. If Sprint decides to mess up more... So be it... In which case anything can happen.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I was just in a T-Mobile store this afternoon and asked the employee what he had heard about Sprint buying T-Mobile. He seemed like he at least knew a little about it because he corrected me by telling me that it wasn't "Sprint" buying T-Mobile but that it was Sprint's parent company. He then proceeded to tell me that the communication they received was that the T-Mobile brand would be the survivor and eventually Sprint would go away. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Buck-eye View Post
    I was just in a T-Mobile store this afternoon and asked the employee what he had heard about Sprint buying T-Mobile. He seemed like he at least knew a little about it because he corrected me by telling me that it wasn't "Sprint" buying T-Mobile but that it was Sprint's parent company. He then proceeded to tell me that the communication they received was that the T-Mobile brand would be the survivor and eventually Sprint would go away. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Posted via Android Central App
    If that's true then good but if that ceo of sprint is the new leader of this new whatever it will be I will guarantee I will be moving back to AT&T or maybe try out Verizon because the people at sprint are retards (at least they show to be retards)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- t-mobile
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32GB Wifi
    Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3- T-mobile
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T

I certainly hope Softbank/Sprint does not acquire T-Mobile.

Masayoshi Son (CEO of Softbank) says he wants to be disruptive in the U.S. wireless carrier market, but he has yet to put his existing wireless company where his mouth is. Sprint is same ol', same ol', only without the coverage of VZW or "at&t", or the data performance of even TMO. Thus one suspects that if Sprint/Softbank acquires T-Mobile, you can say goodbye to aggressive pricing, terrific international roaming, great international LD plans, etc.

You can probably also say so long to effective network upgrades. T-Mobile has relatively quietly been upgrading their network. Sprint's made a lot of noise about upgrading theirs. TMO's upgrades have been effective, by all accounts. Sprint's? Not so much.

The industry pundits are saying they think approval by U.S. regulators is unlikely. I certainly hope so, but I cannot imagine why, if that's so, Son would have agreed to a $1bn failure-to-execute fee--particularly after the "at&t"/TMO debacle.

Personally: I hope that TMO just got itself a cool $1bn with which to buy spectrum and further upgrade its network

Jim

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

If Sprint bought Tmo I'd jump too. Sprint IMO is just a bad company to deal with. Feel bad for Tmo users.

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    If Sprint bought Tmo I'd jump too. Sprint IMO is just a bad company to deal with. Feel bad for Tmo users.
    No need to feel bad for T-Mobile users... yet. It ain't over 'til the fat ladies sing, and, so far, the fat ladies don't seem to be much interested in singing to the tune Son's playing.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Stoneface View Post
    No need to feel bad for T-Mobile users... yet. It ain't over 'til the fat ladies sing, and, so far, the fat ladies don't seem to be much interested in singing to the tune Son's playing.

Jim
    Even if it did go through... If John Legere stayed at the helm... With all that spectrum.. I could see him turning it around.

If Dan Hesse stays at the helm... Bad news.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Even if it did go through... If John Legere stayed at the helm... With all that spectrum.. I could see him turning it around.

If Dan Hesse stays at the helm... Bad news.

CDMA, Wimax, GSM, LTE, LTE-A.

Too many radio platforms in one company. It would take years for Sprintmobile to figure it all out and convert it all to LTE.
    Thanked by:
    cgardnervt likes this.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Stoneface View Post

Jim
    Jim very good point! We do need to let this play it self out first. My post was more of a "If it happens" I guess.

CJ

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    CDMA, Wimax, GSM, LTE, LTE-A.

Too many radio platforms in one company. It would take years for Sprintmobile to figure it all out and convert it all to LTE.
    +1 to this. Sprint is already a giant mess. This will only add to it further I think. Far to many bands for one network IMO.

I just laid out full price for a Galaxy S5 on T-Mobile – I sure do hope the GSM survives or AT&T will be the only ballgame for my handset I guess?

If it does happen… and even by the time it is an issue I might be due for a new phone regardless of plucking down retail for my S5.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
    I just laid out full price for a Galaxy S5 on T-Mobile I sure do hope the GSM survives or AT&T will be the only ballgame for my handset I guess?

If it does happen and even by the time it is an issue I might be due for a new phone regardless of plucking down retail for my S5.
    It is unlikely that Sprint would eliminate lte. If you are talking about legacy gsm, even att is getting rid of that in the future

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    It is unlikely that Sprint would eliminate lte. If you are talking about legacy gsm, even att is getting rid of that in the future

The "distant" future. I'm assuming ATT would refarm their edge to LTE, before cutting off their gsm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    The "distant" future. I'm assuming ATT would refarm their edge to LTE, before cutting off their gsm.
    They have said 2017.