Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: List of volte and wideband lte markets

Just some clarification. TMobile bought 700MHz lower block A. This is part of band 12 which consists of 700MHz lower blocks a, b, and c. There is a subset of lower block a consisting of blocks b and c, known as b17. Verizon uses 700MHz upper block c, which is b13. There is also a public safety band in the 700MHz spectrum

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Almeuit and npaladin-2000 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by npaladin-2000 View Post
    There still aren't any devices that support that particular 700 mhz band. I'm hoping it can be done with a firmware upgrade, but methinks the FCC might object.
    Was told that a simple firmware upgrade could make them compatible but who knows. They did a firmware upgrade for the wideband and the VoLTE what's the diff?

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by brkaras View Post
    Was told that a simple firmware upgrade could make them compatible but who knows. They did a firmware upgrade for the wideband and the VoLTE what's the diff?

The difference is that the FCC certified the device for a specific set of frequencies that did NOT include the 700 MHz Block A frequencies. They'd have to re-submit paperwork and testing results to the FCC which include that frequency set before they'd be allowed to sell the device here.

Wideband and VOLTE are all software. Block A is actually a radio frequency change, even if the support for it is present in the hardware, it wasn't enabled or tested. While it COULD make it compatible, there's a question of whether they'll be ALLOWED to make it compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by npaladin-2000 View Post
    The difference is that the FCC certified the device for a specific set of frequencies that did NOT include the 700 MHz Block A frequencies. They'd have to re-submit paperwork and testing results to the FCC which include that frequency set before they'd be allowed to sell the device here.

Wideband and VOLTE are all software. Block A is actually a radio frequency change, even if the support for it is present in the hardware, it wasn't enabled or tested. While it COULD make it compatible, there's a question of whether they'll be ALLOWED to make it compatible.
    Sounds like you have a little bit more knowledge in this area than I do so I'll take your word for it...but I'm thinking that since the same device is out for Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T Mobile as well as local carriers that issue would have been addressed no? Sounds more like a Samsung issue than a carrier issue

Sounds like you have a little bit more knowledge in this area than I do so I'll take your word for it...but I'm thinking that since the same device is out for Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T Mobile as well as local carriers that issue would have been addressed no? Sounds more like a Samsung issue than a carrier issue

No, they're all different model numbers, submitted seperately for FCC approval. You should check out their website, it's really interesting. Just as an example, here's three of the LG G3s (I'm an LG guy myself).

AT&T version: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...fcc_id=ZNFD850
    T-Mobile version: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...fcc_id=ZNFD851
    Verizon version: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...cc_id=ZNFVS985
    dpham00 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

As said above, they are different devices. The reason why b12 is not supported is because no major carrier needed them until now. It could also be a move to squeeze the little carriers out, as some regional carriers have b12 spectrum.

The major carriers specify what they want. For example, tmobile has wifi calling. The Verizon g3 has the Verizon logo on the front. And numerous other carrier specific requests.

The only manufacturer that has the autonomy would be apple. It doesn't do carrier specific software, and can push updates as it pleases(without the need for carrier approval) . The Verizon, T-Mobile, and att versions of the 5s and 5c are the same exact model number.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    As said above, they are different devices. The reason why b12 is not supported is because no major carrier needed them until now. It could also be a move to squeeze the little carriers out, as some regional carriers have b12 spectrum.

The major carriers specify what they want. For example, tmobile has wifi calling. The Verizon g3 has the Verizon logo on the front. And numerous other carrier specific requests.

The only manufacturer that has the autonomy would be apple. It doesn't do carrier specific software, and can push updates as it pleases(without the need for carrier approval) . The Verizon, T-Mobile, and att versions of the 5s and 5c are the same exact model number.

Gotcha. I guess we'll see but I can't imagine they didn't plan for this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12