Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google voice questions

From searching and reading it appears that if I use GV and my T-Mo enabled phone I will be charged minutes under my pre paid $30 Walmart plan.

About the only benefit I probably get is if I am calling Canada then I will be charged domestic minutes vs international charges, it seems that there are wifi use phone apps for calls but my experience is the quality is often lacking.

Anyone have any ideas on how to use GV and not have to use my prepaid minutes.

This past winter I noticed that T-Mo made a little change to the $30.00 100 minute plan. In the past I was able to keep extra funds in my account and after the 100 minutes were used up then pay .10 minute. The last time I tried this no calls would work incoming and outgoing. I phoned and was told I had to replenish the full $30.00. This kind of makes the plan less worthwhile unless you really want the unlimited data.

Default Re: Google voice questions

I tried some of the GV apps and didn't have any success with the voice quality either.

We use MagicJack for our home phone, and I just use the Android app that they offer to make voice calls on my T-Mobile Moto X

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by weknsmith View Post
    I tried some of the GV apps and didn't have any success with the voice quality either.

We use MagicJack for our home phone, and I just use the Android app that they offer to make voice calls on my T-Mobile Moto X

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app
    How does that work for sound quality?

Are you saying that you attached the magic jack to PC/router and then just use the app on your T-Mo phone vs attaching a regular wired phone to the magic jack

I also put a question on T-Mo forum and someone from T-Mo answered saying I should have been able to continue making calls and receiving but pay from my cash on deposit. I cannot rely on them though to sort this out if it happens again

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

For a while you could use your Google Voice account through the Talkatone app and it would not use your minutes but I believe that ended last month.

I know the iOS Google Hangouts app allows phone calls through it and it will not use any minutes. I've used it on my iPod touch a bunch of times. Don't know why the Android version does not have this calling feature.
    gtt1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rirruto View Post
    For a while you could use your Google Voice account through the Talkatone app and it would not use your minutes but I believe that ended last month.

I know the iOS Google Hangouts app allows phone calls through it and it will not use any minutes. I've used it on my iPod touch a bunch of times. Don't know why the Android version does not have this calling feature.
    It does. You can call people. Just turn the video camera off and bam.. Call .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    gtt1 likes this.

I use Vonage Mobile https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...age.TimeToCall
    It uses your data, not minutes. The calls are free to any telephone number in the US until September 24th. After that date they will charge 1 cent per minute, unless you call another Vonage number - then it's free.
    gtt1 likes this.

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
    I use Vonage Mobile https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...age.TimeToCall
    It uses your data, not minutes. The calls are free to any telephone number in the US until September 24th. After that date they will charge 1 cent per minute, unless you call another Vonage number - then it's free.
    Just have to ask... are you the same ReuvenNY from EmailDiscussions?

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Just have to ask... are you the same ReuvenNY from EmailDiscussions?
    Yes. Who are you?

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
    Yes. Who are you?
    I went by 'FMRocks' there. Haven't been around those parts in a long time, though. Nice to "see" you again!

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    It does. You can call people. Just turn the video camera off and bam.. Call .

How do you turn off video camera in hangouts before call?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by johnjuan View Post
    How do you turn off video camera in hangouts before call?

Posted via Android Central App
    Don't think you can before. All I'd do is put my hand directly on the front camera so it shows nothing but black once the call first connects ... Then turn it off and use it for calls.

johnjuan likes this.