Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google all access question..

If they end up adding this service to the unlimited data, does that include my own music stored on google play/ play music app. I forgot what its called.

Default Re: Google all access question..

I don't know. The thing is, while T-Mobile has said streaming will be unlimited, they've also explicitly said that downloads of music won't be. With Google Play Music's caching system, that's a bit of a gray area, since you can stream, download, or download while streaming. If and how T-Mobile is going to discriminate between those things is a bit of a mystery.

Global Posts
    889 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rrballer11 View Post
    If they end up adding this service to the unlimited data, does that include my own music stored on google play/ play music app. I forgot what its called.
    I would think so, because of the way Play Music all access works. You can create mixes and playlists that include both music you own and upload as well as songs you have access to because of your subscription. The streaming urls, therefore, cannot be separated, which is what T-Mobile is going to whitelist.

It should. It is from the same servers.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Wait Google Music is added now?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by oscari View Post
    Wait Google Music is added now?

Being voted on.

Hopefully the stored music can be streamed for free, I have 5 thousand songs that are just waiting to be streamed outside my house.

I am sure this will make no difference. When they refer to downloaded, they mean pinning the music to your phone. From T-Mobile's point of view, there is no difference between streaming music you previously uploaded to Google vs. music you are streaming that you do not own. Streaming is streaming.

If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!

The difference is if Google can verify that your uploaded music is a legally licensed copy. Anyone can upload a copy of a copy of a song. T-Mobile has said, not in these exact words, that they will allow free streaming for legally licensed music services. All Access is fully and legally licensed but uploaded music may be a different story. I may be wrong but that distinction may be a sticky point.

Edited for clarity.
    Last edited by DolphinDroid; 07-05-2014 at 10:26 PM.
    You can observe a lot by watching- Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDroid View Post
    The difference is if Google can verify that your uploaded music is a legally licensed copy. Anyone can upload a copy of a copy of a song. T-Mobile has said, not in these exact words, that they will allow free streaming for legally licensed music services. All Access is fully and legally licensed but uploaded music may be a different story. I may be wrong but that distinction may be a sticky point.

Edited for clarity.
    Well, the issue here would be whether T-Mobile can easily distinguish between uploaded music and All Access music. The application itself makes very little distinction with the only difference being whether the overflow menu gives you the option to "delete" or "remove" the music. But music purchased from Google behaves the same as uploaded music.

What surprises me more is that Grooveshark was one of the options for voting considering their legal issues.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    I am sure this will make no difference. When they refer to downloaded, they mean pinning the music to your phone. From T-Mobile's point of view, there is no difference between streaming music you previously uploaded to Google vs. music you are streaming that you do not own. Streaming is streaming.

They can tell the difference. With Spotify it specifically says Streamed music.. Not downloading the playlist. I am sure they pull from different servers... Same company (Spotify).. Just different servers for streams and downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    They can tell the difference. With Spotify it specifically says Streamed music.. Not downloading the playlist. I am sure they pull from different servers... Same company (Spotify).. Just different servers for streams and downloads.

Why would they possibly pull from different servers? It's the same file. I am sure they have multiple copies of each file to serve up, but why would they dedicate some servers to streaming and some to downloads when they're mirroring the same content?

Also, even though that was the official statement, people are seeing that downloads are not counting against the usage either.

T-Mobile T-Mobile Customers Unlimited Music Streaming - Page 3

I've also personally seen that Slacker downloads (specifically "caching" radio) does not count as data usage.

Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    Why would they possibly pull from different servers? It's the same file. I am sure they have multiple copies of each file to serve up, but why would they dedicate some servers to streaming and some to downloads when they're mirroring the same content?
    Why from different servers? Could be to distribute load... But I am only guessing as I know companies do this. For an exact answer you'd have to ask them.

Also as for song downloads.. I am going off T-Mobile's terms. Maybe some people can download the playlist and have it not count... That's awesome... Use as you see fit! .. But if it does count towards your high speed allotment you can't say much since they put it in the terms that it is excluded (see below).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google all access question..-1405365861499.jpg