T-Mobile Accused Of Bogus Charges By FTC

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Being aware of your bills is a good idea no matter what, but it's good that the FTC leaned in. No doubt this is why T-Mobile recently announced they'd be proactively notifying customers of such charges on the future.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Being aware of your bills is a good idea no matter what, but it's good that the FTC leaned in. No doubt this is why T-Mobile recently announced they'd be proactively notifying customers of such charges on the future.
It has to do with people allowing third parties to charge to their T-Mobile accounts. It's up to people not to allow this to happen and to check their bill so they don't get charged extra, not T-Mobiles responsibility.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Jon Legere's response does have a point. Tmobile did stop premium SMS a few years back.

Also, why aren't the other carriers involved? ALLL the carriers were involved in premium SMS chargeres

We have seen the complaint filed today by the FTC and find it to be unfounded and without merit. In fact T-Mobile stopped billing for these Premium SMS services last year and launched a proactive program to provide full refunds for any customer that feels that they were charged for something they did not want. T-Mobile is fighting harder than any of the carriers to change the way the wireless industry operates and we are disappointed that the FTC has chosen to file this action against the most pro-consumer company in the industry rather than the real bad actors.

As the Un-carrier, we believe that customers should only pay for what they want and what they sign up for. We exited this business late last year, and announced an aggressive program to take care of customers and we are disappointed that the FTC has instead chosen to file this sensationalized legal action. We are the first to take action for the consumer and I am calling for the entire industry to do the same.

This is about doing what is right for consumers and we put in place procedures to protect our customers from unauthorized charges. Unfortunately, not all of these third party providers acted responsibly—an issue the entire industry faced. We believe those providers should be held accountable, and the FTC’s lawsuit seeking to hold T-Mobile responsible for their acts is not only factually and legally unfounded, but also misdirected.

— John Legere, CEO of T-Mobile USA

It honestly would not surprise me if ATT/Verizon directed this towards the FTC

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Jon Legere's response does have a point. Tmobile did stop premium SMS a few years back.

Also, why aren't the other carriers involved? ALLL the carriers were involved in premium SMS chargeres
Because the other carriers are the ones that are being hurt by all this disruptive "UnCarrier" stuff.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Because the other carriers are the ones that are being hurt by all this disruptive "UnCarrier" stuff.

It could backlash and hit att/verizon/sprint.

All tmobile has to do is release the records and complain to the ftc enough

I believe verizon still does premium sms

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It could backlash and hit att/verizon/sprint.

It could, but I bet their campaign donation checks cashed fine.

It's also possible like someone mentioned somewhere, that this is an attempt to poison the Sprint/T-Mobile merger, which still means it's probably AT&T or Verizon pulling the strings. Neither one of them wants a viable competitor that's nearly as big as they are, I'm sure they'd prefer two smaller competitors.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It could, but I bet their campaign donation checks cashed fine.

It's also possible like someone mentioned somewhere, that this is an attempt to poison the Sprint/T-Mobile merger, which still means it's probably AT&T or Verizon pulling the strings. Neither one of them wants a viable competitor that's nearly as big as they are, I'm sure they'd prefer two smaller competitors.

But even then, the whole premium SMS fiasco was from years ago and all the carriers decided to stop supporting it last year. It's not "new" news by any means, and I can almost gurantee Verizon/ATT milked premium sms way more than sprint/tmobile did.

AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile agree to stop billing for premium SMS messages - FierceWireless

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If that's the case, FTC should sue all the carriers, not just T-Mobile

At least T-Mobile helped to offer refunds. I can't find anything on the other three