Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default T-Mobile JUMP Questions.

Here is my situation. My note 2 was getting old so I upgraded to note 3 yesterday. However, according to everyone online, note 4 is coming out in 2 months. So I asked about jump program. I spoke with 2 different representative and these are their answers.

rep 1. Pay $308 up front(50% of note 3 price) and I will be able to jump upgrade to note 4 when it comes out. When I jump upgrade, note 3 trade in value will be transffered to note 4 price so total price will be note 4 price minus note 3 trade-in value at that time. For example, if note 4 is $700 and note 3 trade in value is $250 at that time, it will be 700-250 = $450 divide by 24 monthly fee.

rep 2. Pay $308 up front(50% of note 3 price) and I will be able to jump upgrade to note 4 when it comes out. When I jump upgrade, I have to give note 3 to t-mobile and no trade-in credit will be applied towards note 4. So if note 4 comes out for $700, I have to pay $700 divided by 24 monthly fee.

which one is true? Depending on answer, I might just go back to t-mobile store and return note 3. I will surely be mad if note 4 comes out in 2 months after buying $600 phone. Let me know which is the correct answer.
  2. Best Answer

Number 2 is correct. You can't do number 1 without the phone being paid off. So route 1 could be done but you'd still have to pay the rest of the balance (basically full price).

Option 2 you can just pay the monthly cost... Once the Note 4 comes out pay extra to get to 50 percent of the phone paid off and then jump.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Default Re: T-Mobile Jump Questions. Who's right?

Number 2 is correct. You can't do number 1 without the phone being paid off. So route 1 could be done but you'd still have to pay the rest of the balance (basically full price).

Option 2 you can just pay the monthly cost... Once the Note 4 comes out pay extra to get to 50 percent of the phone paid off and then jump.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.

Community Rules & Guidelines
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Number 2 is correct. You can't so number 1 without the phone being paid off. So route 1 could be done but you'd still have to pay the rest of the balance (basically full price).

I second that.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

gosh.. this jump program is garbage then. they charge $12 a month for this and if you do the calculation, this is much worse deal than having 2 years contract. Do the math.

2 year contract
    no monthly fee
    get phone for $300(note calibur)
    1 year use and sell one for $300 on ebay and add another $300 to get new note.
    2nd year use 2 year contract and get new note calibur phone for $300 and sell the one u use for $300 on ebay
    phone is urs

Jump Program
    pay $12 monthly fee
    No discount on phone but 24 month no interest financing.
    they pay you up to half of phone price when switching to new phone but you have to give your phone to them.
    phone is financed so you have to keep paying more monthly fee addition to your monthly plan and service bill.

This sux. only positive side about this is being able to finance 24 months no interest but overall price i am paying is just rip off.

Jump isn't a deal: you're paying for the convenience of upgrading your device regularly through the carrier. If you don't want to upgrade regularly it's not worth it, and if you're willing to buy and sell devices through third parties it's not worth it.

The old jump program made sense since you only had to pay for 6 months. Since the introduction of the 50 percent requirement, it makes less sense financially speaking.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The old jump program made sense since you only had to pay for 6 months. Since the introduction of the 50 percent requirement, it makes less sense financially speaking.

Actually with the old JUMP you only wait 6 months for your first JUMP any other JUMP is limited to 2 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherCookie View Post
    Actually with the old JUMP you only wait 6 months for your first JUMP any other JUMP is limited to 2 per year.
    Correct, 6 months minimum between jumps.

Thanked by:
    mrsp 

Quote Originally Posted by shin777 View Post
    gosh.. this jump program is garbage then. they charge $12 a month for this and if you do the calculation, this is much worse deal than having 2 years contract. Do the math.

2 year contract
    no monthly fee
    get phone for $300(note calibur)
    1 year use and sell one for $300 on ebay and add another $300 to get new note.
    2nd year use 2 year contract and get new note calibur phone for $300 and sell the one u use for $300 on ebay
    phone is urs

Jump Program
    pay $12 monthly fee
    No discount on phone but 24 month no interest financing.
    they pay you up to half of phone price when switching to new phone but you have to give your phone to them.
    phone is financed so you have to keep paying more monthly fee addition to your monthly plan and service bill.

This sux. only positive side about this is being able to finance 24 months no interest but overall price i am paying is just rip off.
    As for the jump Yeah you're paying monthly to pay it off. When you hand in the old phone after paying half you don't pay on that one anymore.. You move on to the next.

You can always jump to AT&T or Verizon if you want a contract price .

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.

Community Rules & Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Correct, 6 months minimum between jumps.

Common misconception. It's not six months between jumps. How the old one worked is you could jump twice a year after the first 6 months. So once you jump once you have one more to use within a year. You could use it one month later or 9 months later. Does not have to be in 6 month intervals. Jumps will then reset 1 year from the date of the first Jump upgrade.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

ROM
    MIJJzGoodnessFD02/ Rouge

So here's how it goes from what I've experienced:

Yes, you pay $308 up front for the Note 3, then you also have the monthly payments to pay off the rest. When you go to JUMP you do return the device, but it wipes out the remaining balance on what you owe for the Note 3. Now the thing is, when you use your JUMP upgrades the up-front costs are significantly lower than when you do a non-JUMP upgrade, but the monthly costs are higher. Since you said you had to pay $308 up-front, I'm assuming you're in what T-Mobile calls the "Building Credit" bracket.

That being said here's how it would work to JUMP to a Note 4 (based off of me JUMPing to a LG G3):

Non-Jump Upgrade (Good Credit Bracket): $0 down w/ $29.15 per month for 24 months.
    Non-Jump Upgrade (Building Credit Bracket): ~$350 down (Half the cost of the device) w/ $14.60 per month for 24 months.
    JUMP Upgrade (Good Credit Bracket): $0 down w/ $29.15 per month for 24 months.
    JUMP Upgrade (Building Credit Bracket) $70 down (10% of device cost) w/ $26.25 per month for 24 months.

Overall, it's whether or not you like having the convenience of being able to upgrade when you want. JUMP is still restricted to 2 JUMPs a year.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Wicell View Post
    So here's how it goes from what I've experienced:

Yes, you pay $308 up front for the Note 3, then you also have the monthly payments to pay off the rest. When you go to JUMP you do return the device, but it wipes out the remaining balance on what you owe for the Note 3. Now the thing is, when you use your JUMP upgrades the up-front costs are significantly lower than when you do a non-JUMP upgrade, but the monthly costs are higher. Since you said you had to pay $308 up-front, I'm assuming you're in what T-Mobile calls the "Building Credit" bracket.

That being said here's how it would work to JUMP to a Note 4 (based off of me JUMPing to a LG G3):

Non-Jump Upgrade (Good Credit Bracket): $0 down w/ $29.15 per month for 24 months.
    Non-Jump Upgrade (Building Credit Bracket): ~$350 down (Half the cost of the device) w/ $14.60 per month for 24 months.
    JUMP Upgrade (Good Credit Bracket): $0 down w/ $29.15 per month for 24 months.
    JUMP Upgrade (Building Credit Bracket) $70 down (10% of device cost) w/ $26.25 per month for 24 months.

Overall, it's whether or not you like having the convenience of being able to upgrade when you want. JUMP is still restricted to 2 JUMPs a year.
    Your thought process makes sense but is wrong. Jump has nothing to do with how much you have to put down. That is solely based off credit and tenure (assuming you have enough EIP available) . There are three tiers of down-payment. "good credit" is $0 down., "descent credit" $70 down, and "bad or building credit" is $300 down. Jump upgrade or non-Jump upgrade, those are the down payments. The only thing that will change it at that point is tenure. The "descent credit" will automatically get $0 down after 1 year. The "bad or building credit" will automatically get $0 after 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicell View Post
    This depends on which Jump they have. If you have the original Jump then this statement is true.
    If you are talking the newer Jump where half the device has to be paid off then you're wrong. The newer Jump is as many times as you want as long as half the device is paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by boogas8 View Post
    Common misconception. It's not six months between jumps. How the old one worked is you could jump twice a year after the first 6 months. So once you jump once you have one more to use within a year. You could use it one month later or 9 months later. Does not have to be in 6 month intervals. Jumps will then reset 1 year from the date of the first Jump upgrade.

I believe your last point is incorrect. I was told by two T-Mobile reps that the 2 upgrades/year are based off when you originally signed up, not when you first JUMPed.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsacomano View Post
    I believe your last point is incorrect. I was told by two T-Mobile reps that the 2 upgrades/year are based off when you originally signed up, not when you first JUMPed.

I am right. It is 2 Jump upgrades in a 12 month period. Which means it would reset 12 months (1 year) after the first upgrade, like I said.

I have the old jump plan and it's 100 percent better than the new jump plan you're allowed two jumps a year and you don't have to have half of your device paid off, if I get a new phone today and the note 4 comes out on Halloween, guess what I can get the new note by trading my current phone in and only paying the taxes of the new phone that's all that's why they stopped offering the original jump plan because it was to good to be true just like they stopped offering the unlimited everything plan for 70 dollars I'm just glad I'm grandfathered in so my plans will always remain the same

Sent from my LG-D851 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

Keep in mind that the $10 fee for jump also includes insurance and lookout premium. Other carriers charge 10$ or more JUST for the insurance.

"And only with JUMP!, you’re protected if your device* is lost, damaged, or stolen with the included Premium Handset Protection® and Lookout Mobile Security®. (Deductible may apply; see FAQ below.)"

Posted via Android Central App

I SPOKE ON PHONE WIT T-MOBILE REP, CUZ WHEN I BOUGHT MY WIFE LG G3 HE CONVINCED ME TO PAY THE EXTRA 10$ A MONTH FOR THE JUMP. I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT WHEN YOU HAVE HALF OF YOUR PHONE BALANCE PAID OFF, YOU COULD JUMP AND GIVE YOUR PHONE AND GET A % OF THE PHONE TOWARDS THE UPGRADED PHONE. SO THE REP EXPLAINS TO ME THAT WHEN YOU JUMP, THEY PAY THE REMAINING BALANCE AND YOU GIVE THEM THE PHONE AND COMPLETELY REFINANCE THE NEXT PHONE. SO NEEDLESS TO SAY I WENT BACK AND FORTH WITH THE REP IN A RESPECTFUL WAY PLEADING MY CASE THAT I SHOULD RECIEVE SOME VALUE FOR THE $400+ I HAVE PAID FOR THE CURRENT LG G3. THE WAY SHE EXPLAINED IT WAS LIKE T-MOBILE WAS DOING ME A FAVOR AND TAKING A LOSS, WHEN THEY ARE JUST GOING TO REFURBISH AND SELL THE FLAGSHIP FOR $500-600. SO THE BEST BET IS, IF YOU WANT THE NOTE 4 LIKE MYSELF, JUST PAY THE PHONE OFF GET IT UNLOCKED AND RESELL IT YOURSELF BECAUSE ALL OF THESE TOP TIER PHONES HOLD THEIR VALUE, A NOTE 3 USED IN PERFECT CONDITION IS RESELLING ON EBAY AND AMAZON FOR $500 AND UP. THATS WHAT I AM GOIN TO DO WITH MY LG G3.

Posted via the Android Central App

Caps lock aside, you're correct: Jump isn't a deal, it's a convenience. You'll be far better off financially buying and selling phones yourself off contract, but most people don't want to go to the bother or don't have the money to spend up front.

Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    Caps lock aside, you're correct: Jump isn't a deal, it's a convenience. You'll be far better off financially buying and selling phones yourself off contract, but most people don't want to go to the bother or don't have the money to spend up front.
    He isn't right though .... The note 3 on Ebay is going around $400 note $500 and that at $400 is about $300 cheaper then new price

Well, it's not a bad deal if you want insurance anyway. The cheapest insurance option I know of is Squaretrade, but at $5 per month they don't cover loss while T-Mobile does. But looking at Swappa, T-Mobile phones typically drop to about half their original cost as soon as the successor comes out. So if you're following the yearly upgrade cycle of your chosen phone you only end up losing the difference in cost between Jump and insurance, which is $5 per month if you don't care about loss and only $2 per month if you do.

If you wouldn't be taking insurance it's a pretty significant hit though.

I'm not talking about the insurance, I'm talking about switching phones. Even if Jump was free, you'd still be doing worse exchanging your device with T-Mobile than just selling it on the internet. Few top devices lose half their value in one year, let alone six months.

I'm not talking about the insurance, I'm talking about switching phones. Even if Jump was free, you'd still be doing worse exchanging your device with T-Mobile than just selling it on the internet. No device worth owning loses more than half its value in one year, let alone six months, including the Note 3.
    Six months is an irrelevant metric with the new Jump plan since you need to have made half of your payments. The Note 3 has been out for 11 months and is already down to about 60% of its original retail price based on Swappa sales statistics. And if you look at any other phone, the prices drop 10-15% the month when the successor is released. Swappa adds $10 to the sale price, so it's really slightly worse than that.

Jump was made so people could jump to a new phone without having to buyout your contract including the subsidized price of the phone plus buy a new one. It was never meant to turn a profit toward a new device

Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    Six months is an irrelevant metric with the new Jump plan since you need to have made half of your payments. The Note 3 has been out for 11 months and is already down to about 60% of its original retail price based on Swappa sales statistics. And if you look at any other phone, the prices drop 10-15% the month when the successor is released. Swappa adds $10 to the sale price, so it's really slightly worse than that.
    So best case, if you Jump yearly, assuming you want the best insurance in any case, you're paying T-Mobile half the device's starting value, plus $24 for the balance of what it costs to be on Jump over that of just having insurance, and starting over with $0 from the transaction to put towards your new phone. So for a Note 3, that's roughly $350 + $24 (again, best case scenario, this could be up to $120) = $374 down the hole, and T-Mobile just took your device away to give you the privilege of buying another, so that $374 is gone.

Alternate scenario: you bought a Note 3 off-contract. You paid $700 out of pocket. You buy damage and loss insurance on your own. At the one year mark, if you decide to switch, you resell it. If you can get more than $326 (which with most flagships would be awful, but Samsung devices seem to do a terrible job of holding their value), you're ahead, and if you didn't buy any insurance beyond the warranty, that break-even number drops to $230. Add to that, the device is yours, so you can sell it unlocked, which usually increases its resale value. I'm not saying that you can't come up with scenarios where Jump makes sense, I'm just saying that generally speaking, T-Mobile is the one coming out ahead, not the customer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast