Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will we have unlimited 4G once 2G becomes 4G?

I read that tmo is updating their coverage so that 2g will eventually be 4g. Does that mean that on the 1gb plan, after using 1gb of 4glte it would be throttled down to 4g instead of 2g?

Default Re: Will we have unlimited 4G once 2G becomes 4G?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    I read that tmo is updating their coverage so that 2g will eventually be 4g. Does that mean that on the 1gb plan, after using 1gb of 4glte it would be throttled down to 4g instead of 2g?
    They are not getting rid of 2G, instead they are upgrading areas that only have 2G coverage to also have 4G. This article helps explain what they are doing.
    peacefulberry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    You will be throttled. When someone is throttled they aren't necessarily knocked to 2g... As in their phone doesn't show that.. It shows LTE or just 4g...but the speeds are slow. They simply just throttle the speeds... Regardless of what you're connected to via the network.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    peacefulberry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    They are not getting rid of 2G, instead they are upgrading areas that only have 2G coverage to also have 4G. This article helps explain what they are doing.
    Not here they aren't. They've only got 10x10 PCS in my area. One you get south to Orange and Putnam counties they have an extra 5x5 to use for EDGE, but Dutchess and Ulster they only own 10x10. They'll have to deploy LTE on AWS there, of which they own 35 Mhz, and have already deployed in limited areas.

I don't think they'll be well-served with a 5x5 LTE implementation and a 5x5 EDGE implementation. Assuming they let you split up a block like that, no idea if they allow it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by npaladin-2000 View Post
    Not here they aren't. They've only got 10x10 PCS in my area. One you get south to Orange and Putnam counties they have an extra 5x5 to use for EDGE, but Dutchess and Ulster they only own 10x10. They'll have to deploy LTE on AWS there, of which they own 35 Mhz, and have already deployed in limited areas.

I don't think they'll be well-served with a 5x5 LTE implementation and a 5x5 EDGE implementation. Assuming they let you split up a block like that, no idea if they allow it or not.
    Gsm can be deployed in chunks as small as 200khz.

Lte though has to be deployed in 1.4,3,5,10,15,or 20 mhz bandwidths. 5mhz is really the minimum for any practical lte network. There are exceptions, but I don't think any maybe carrier deployed lte smaller than 5mhz. Att's 700MHz network in Chicago is 5+5mhz. It is also supplemented by aws lte.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Gsm can be deployed in chunks as small as 200khz.

Lte though has to be deployed in 1.4,3,5,10,15,or 20 mhz bandwidths. 5mhz is really the minimum for any practical lte network. There are exceptions, but I don't think any maybe carrier deployed lte smaller than 5mhz. Att's 700MHz network in Chicago is 5+5mhz. It is also supplemented by aws lte.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3
    Yeah, what I'm thinking is a 5x5 LTE implementation will be marginal at best for VoLTE, and they'll need to utilize the AWS spectrum for an actual LTE deployment, unless they're planning on keeping voice on GSM. And my earlier post was in error, they've deployed HSPA+ in the area, not LTE.