T-Mobile: postpaid or prepaid?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Besides what boogas8 said, postpaid customers also get conditional call forwarding, priority on the data network, free Personal Cellspot, better customer service and maybe a few other benefits that prepaid customers don't.

Altogether, for $10/mo more there's a lot of difference between postpaid and prepaid. Depending on your needs of course, postpaid can be well worth it.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
When you dial 611 you're asked to enter your phone number. Besides providing simple verification, a determination of the account type sends you to A-Team support (postpaid) or B-Team support (prepaid). With postpaid you get better trained reps, much easier access to Level 2 support, the Retentions Dept (really nonexistent for prepaid) etc. They're not the same.

Last edited:

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
With postpaid, you can also get reps lying about what type of a credit check (hard vs. soft pull) may be run on you when signing up, JUMP added to your account whether you want it or not, and of course, fees and taxes--some of which might soon be going up--not the taxes, but TMO's "regulatory programs fee."

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
In over 17 years with T-Mobile I've never been lied to, misled or charged for anything I wasn't aware of. Neither has my family members or friends, some who have been on T-Mobile nearly as long as I have. The same can't be said for the carriers they left.

But no company is perfect and sooner or later some rookie CS rep or store sales monkey will screw up and tick off someone I know - maybe even me.

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
When you dial 611 you're asked to enter your phone number. Besides providing simple verification, a determination of the account type sends you to A-Team support (postpaid) or B-Team support (prepaid). With postpaid you get better trained reps, much easier access to Level 2 support, the Retentions Dept (really nonexistent for prepaid) etc. They're not the same.

Well then their b-team on T-Mobile treated me better than reps from any other carrier.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 rockin 5.0.1

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
With postpaid, you can also get reps lying about what type of a credit check (hard vs. soft pull) may be run on you when signing up, JUMP added to your account whether you want it or not, and of course, fees and taxes--some of which might soon be going up--not the taxes, but TMO's "regulatory programs fee."

Every carrier I have been on does the same credit check. Not sure what you got.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's not Uncarrier-like ;)

Sorry I don't judge a company by them branding something because NO company lives 100% up to what they say. I live in the real world .. Where I know someone could hate their job and just not care / lie / do whatever. Now if every store was like that .. That is one thing but .. One bad apple out of the bunch? Na.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I don't judge a company by them branding something because NO company lives 100% up to what they say. I live in the real world .. Where I know someone could hate their job and just not care / lie / do whatever. Now if every store was like that .. That is one thing but .. One bad apple out of the bunch? Na.

Alright. What about forced/sneaky JUMP! adds? I noticed you dropped that from your replies. Which real world is that a part of, where there is up to an 85% attach rate quota? Is TMO going to feign innocence if there's an FTC inquiry tomorrow, or are they going to mount another half-assed premium SMS-like defense?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't know anyone forced into JUMP. I haven't even heard of it happening.

What "85% attach rate quota?"

Yes, T-Mobile got caught in the SMS thing. But they just got caught first. All 4 of the major carriers got caught doing it. BTW, neither I nor anyone I know ever had such charges.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't know anyone forced into JUMP. I haven't even heard of it happening.

What "85% attach rate quota?"

Complaints of "forced" JUMP! additions point to same old weakness in sales culture » TmoNews

The 85% quota comes from the comments.

Yes, T-Mobile got caught in the SMS thing. But they just got caught first. All 4 of the major carriers got caught doing it. BTW, neither I nor anyone I know ever had such charges.

So you're telling me that the Uncarrier is still just a...carrier?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Alright. What about forced/sneaky JUMP! adds? I noticed you dropped that from your replies. Which real world is that a part of, where there is up to an 85% attach rate quota? Is TMO going to feign innocence if there's an FTC inquiry tomorrow, or are they going to mount another half-assed premium SMS-like defense?

Sneaky? I have never had it added on sneak style .. They said "We are adding you can take it off". Literally no less than me leaving the store.. I logged in on the phone and I took it off. I didn't get any "sneak".

If someone got it without anyone telling them .. yes that is wrong.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Complaints of "forced" JUMP! additions point to same old weakness in sales culture » TmoNews

The 85% quota comes from the comments.

So you're telling me that the Uncarrier is still just a...carrier?
Every phone company has issues, common knowledge. However, T-Mobile is still be the most proactive in changing the industry for the better. Their pros far outweigh their cons.

Why harp on the negative, when we all already know it all. We don't need another closingracer or whatever his name was, in this forum.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via the Uncarrier

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Every phone company has issues, common knowledge. However, T-Mobile is still be the most proactive in changing the industry for the better. Their pros far outweigh their cons.

Why harp on the negative, when we all already know it all. We don't need another closingracer or whatever his name was, in this forum.

LOL. I didn't realize that was a permanent ban.
I started out pointing some of the pitfalls of postpaid service. I've done that, so I'll stop.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Postpaid. Three lines but I paid for each of my phones outright.

I was on the $70 postpaid plan and had the prepaid $30 plan on another phone. I saw that they were offering two lines of unlimited for $100 so that was the better deal and I could get another new phone so I did. Then I added another line and another phone.

I like that I can forward any of the lines to one another. I like that the unlimited plan is truly unlimited. I used 75GB in one week before and never heard them complain.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc