Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Another customer to T-mobile? (from VZW)

Quote Originally Posted by npaladin-2000 View Post
    Except that now you've provided an API to get at the SIM card, which the carriers don't want, and understandably so.
    I guess you missed the parts where "...the delivery and installation of [the app] would be controlled by the wireless provider, authenticates itself via the API." It would be only the provider's own app which would be granted the necessary access, for the purpose of facilitating WiFi calling connections.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Old Stoneface View Post
    I guess you missed the parts where "...the delivery and installation of [the app] would be controlled by the wireless provider, authenticates itself via the API." It would be only the provider's own app which would be granted the necessary access, for the purpose of facilitating WiFi calling connections.

Jim
    I didn't miss a thing. But I think you missed the part where someone from XDA cracks it in 5 minutes.

I didn't miss a thing. But I think you missed the part where someone from XDA cracks it in 5 minutes.
    And the difference between somebody from XDA cracking that vs. cracking what's already there is...?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Old Stoneface View Post
    And the difference between somebody from XDA cracking that vs. cracking what's already there is...?

Jim
    Is that so far it's so low-level and so integrated into the OS that no one's been able to crack it. But if you leave an API open for a program to talk to, that makes it a lot easier.

Is that so far it's so low-level and so integrated into the OS that no one's been able to crack it. But if you leave an API open for a program to talk to, that makes it a lot easier.
    All this talk made me realize that the difference between Android and iOS is open source vs closed source. If it was to be integrated into Android it would have to be open sourced. By integrating it into the T-Mobile specific devices you don't need to make it open source so it's much easier to keep locked down.
    Galaxy nexus!

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 2.3.4

I switched from vzw to T-Mobile and so far I love it but my first big test comes today,I'm taking a two hour road trip and I wanna see how good my service will be while on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by bberrynewbie84 View Post
    I switched from vzw to T-Mobile and so far I love it but my first big test comes today,I'm taking a two hour road trip and I wanna see how good my service will be while on the road.
    Hope it works well for you. I am still happy with T-Mobile due to the price/unlimited data but you do need to be willing to accept that in some cases (like road trips) you may need to prepare to not have data service.

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

Given that only T-Mobile is crowing about it so far, I have a feeling that Apple is specifically implementing T-Mobile WiFi calling. Otherwise Sprint and Republic would be jumping all over it marketing-wise. Particularly Republic, since they're the only ones that have managed to get the WiFi<->Cell handoffs right.

We said phone, not child's toy. Seriously, the Avant is a very low-end device that someone used to an M8, GS5, or G3 wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.
    Phone snobs...gotta love them. My son loves his Galaxy Avant.

Hey folks, let's keep the discussion on topic, shall we? Thanks!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12