Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Forced updates?

I am thinking of switching to T-Mobile and have a question in regards to updates. Does T-mobile force you to take software updates? When I was with Sprint and I received a notification of an update, I could decline it with no problems at all. I switched to ATT and with them you can't decline software updates. You can postpone them, but eventually the update will load itself. I have had this happen to me on two different occasions while sleeping. My question is, does T-Mobile allow you to decline software updates? Sometimes it's better to avoid updating due to bugs. I had a Sprint Evo that basically was trash after an android software update. Thank you.

Default Re: Forced updates?

you should be able to go into Settings >> Apps >> All, and find the specific notifier software, select it, then uncheck "Show Notifications".
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by blackveils View Post
    you should be able to go into Settings >> Apps >> All, and find the specific notifier software, select it, then uncheck "Show Notifications".
    What she says is correct. However Blackevils I think they are talking about Android software/firmware updates. In that case I think most phones on 4.x+ will make you take the update after a certain time frame. If this is something thats important to you just root the phone and turn off the updates. Would that work for you? Also change services if you really want to of course!
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the replies. Yes I am referring to android updates (kit kat, ice cream sandwich, etc) Also not comfortable rooting, so that's not an option for me.
    Thanked by:

On the S4 I could block it by going into the main settings under all applications and select software update then turn it off. Has worked so far. I've checked friends s4's on Verizon and Sprint and they were not able to do this.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

The issue isn't the carrier, it's the phone. "Back in the day" (when you were on Sprint) most of the phone manufacturers did not enforce automatic updates. Since then that has changed.

On many phones you will be able to disable the software update service (as above) but it's not guaranteed to actually stop updates as it may just disable the front-end.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    The issue isn't the carrier, it's the phone. "Back in the day" (when you were on Sprint) most of the phone manufacturers did not enforce automatic updates. Since then that has changed.

On many phones you will be able to disable the software update service (as above) but it's not guaranteed to actually stop updates as it may just disable the front-end.
    True I have also been able to block updates on our wifi version of the tab 2 and 3. How long it will last don't know but I do like the option to block it.

Posted via Android Central App
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post

Really? That's news to me. Thanks.