Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WIFI calling

I am thinking of switching to T-Mobile, primarily for the WIFI calling feature on most of their android phones. I haven't read much on this forum in regards to its use. How is it for the most part? Do people experience many problems with it? Thank you.

Default Re: WIFI calling

Works for me

Posted via Android Central App

Works pretty good, however keep in mind that it only works with a tmo branded device that supports WiFi calling and not an unlocked phone under the byod program.
    Bigballer and Phoneguy108 like this.

It REALLY depends on the phone.

I have 2 HTC one S. I switched to Tmo specifically for the WiFi calling. It has never worked very good on this model phone, even though at the time it was Tmo's preferred phone.

Talk to Tmo, they say there is no issue, and if there were, it is an HTC issue. Call HTC, they say Tmo isn't smart enough to trouble shoot their own software.

And I sit with a paper weight.

On my Note 3 it works really well.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Phoneguy108 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Works pretty good,
    Not for my wife and I, on HTC Sensation 4Gs, it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Works pretty good,
    however keep in mind that it only works with a tmo branded device that supports WiFi calling and not an unlocked phone under the byod program.
    Not quite accurate. It can be an unlocked BYOD device, but it has to be a T-Mobile-branded device.

And therein lies the rub: T-Mobile's coverage is such that many people need WiFi calling, but, to get WiFi calling, you have to accept manufacturer and carrier bloat, along with slow-to-nonexistant O/S updates.

Right now we're deciding whether to just live with it or switch carriers. It'd be too bad if we did. We like T-Mobile, but phones that don't work aren't much use.

Jim
    Phoneguy108 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Stoneface View Post

Not quite accurate. It can be an unlocked BYOD device, but it has to be a T-Mobile-branded device.

And therein lies the rub: T-Mobile's coverage is such that many people need WiFi calling, but, to get WiFi calling, you have to accept manufacturer and carrier bloat, along with slow-to-nonexistant O/S updates.

Right now we're deciding whether to just live with it or switch carriers. It'd be too bad if we did. We like T-Mobile, but phones that don't work aren't much use.

Jim
    Yeah some people need it but T-Mobile knows their coverage is an issue and are working on it. That's definitely a con if you made a pro and con list for them.

I used to have to survive on wifi calling at my house... For almost a month I've just shut off wifi calling and the phone works great.. They've been expanding coverage here and deploying 20x20 as well.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

It works great on my galaxy s5. I love wifi calling.

Phoneguy108 likes this.

Well unlocked or locked it has to be a tmo device. I just wanted ppl to know that it can't just be any unlocked gsm phone but specifically a tmo branded device that supports wifi calling. This is something I didn't know until a rep told me.
    Phoneguy108 likes this.

What I've gathered from my own experience and seeing other people's feedback is that the implementation on Samsung phones is great and new HTC phones (the One M7 and M8) work well. The older HTC phones had issues.
    Phoneguy108 likes this.

Works great on my LG G3 as well.
    Phoneguy108 likes this.

Works great on my S4 whenever I need it.

Phoneguy108 likes this.

Works great on my S5.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
    Phoneguy108 likes this.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Stopped using it after I noticed I wasn't getting MMS and group messages when I had it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rirruto View Post
    Stopped using it after I noticed I wasn't getting MMS and group messages when I had it on.
    Seems to work with Textra.

Ah HAH! My wife and I were wondering why text messaging between us was so erratic. Now maybe we know?

Jim
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by Gdraft#WN View Post
    It REALLY depends on the phone.

I have 2 HTC one S. I switched to Tmo specifically for the WiFi calling. It has never worked very good on this model phone, even though at the time it was Tmo's preferred phone.

Talk to Tmo, they say there is no issue, and if there were, it is an HTC issue. Call HTC, they say Tmo isn't smart enough to trouble shoot their own software.

And I sit with a paper weight.
    I hate when the mobile provider and phone manufacture pass the buck on issues.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

T-Mobile wasn't able to resolve this issue for you?

I stopped using it after realizing it was the reason me Good For Enterprise and ISIS payments stopped working. Once I disabled it, both started working again. I think it's possible the SIM is deactivated and so it's not available for security purposes.

I have to say. THE PHONE MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I have carried around the HTC and have nothing but issues with WiFi calling. Got a Celfi (not a Selfi). And still had issues. The Celfi took down my WiFi Booster in the house.

Finally made the move last week and Bought 2 LG G3's

As Emeril would say BAM !!!!!!!!

Phones work great on both WiFi and Cell service. Where I was getting no signal in the house I now get 2 or 3 bars of 4G. Before I had all sorts of WiFi Issues, those are gone.

As much as I loved my HTC. Not sure I would ever go back to them.

Yeah the phone models do make a difference. To my surprise my zte works great with or without WiFi calling. The only con I have about my phone is no front cam.

Sent from my Z730 using Tapatalk

Jim
    Anyone willing to do a little experiment? Previously, I used Skype and set it up to always display my Google Voice #. I also had Groove IP when it still supported Google Voice.
    I like the new VOIP calling in Hangouts. It reminds me of Groove IP, only better.

I'm not a TMO customer, but a lot of people rave about WIFI calling as being crystal clear, better than skype, and as good as a traditional cellular call. Jerry was even writing about how it good it was in one of his articles.

Is there anyone on TMO that would be willing to give their honest opinion about how VOIP on Hangouts and TMO wifi calling compare?

In case you don't have it already installed, you have to be on Hangouts 2.3 and have the new Hangouts Dialer app installed and, of course, have a Google Voice #.

Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    Anyone willing to do a little experiment? Previously, I used Skype and set it up to always display my Google Voice #. I also had Groove IP when it still supported Google Voice.
    I like the new VOIP calling in Hangouts. It reminds me of Groove IP, only better.

I'm not a TMO customer, but a lot of people rave about WIFI calling as being crystal clear, better than skype, and as good as a traditional cellular call. Jerry was even writing about how it good it was in one of his articles.

Is there anyone on TMO that would be willing to give their honest opinion about how VOIP on Hangouts and TMO wifi calling compare?

In case you don't have it already installed, you have to be on Hangouts 2.3 and have the new Hangouts Dialer app installed and, of course, have a Google Voice #.
    Frankly, WiFi calling's call quality is constrained by whatever's on the other end. That should be established right off...doesn't matter how good quality you're on, if they're on a sucky AT&T connection it's still going to sound bad. Phonecalls only ever sound as good as whichever end is of lower quality.

That being said, your side will default to HD Voice, which means if the other end is also HD Voice in some way (VoLTE, good landline, good quality VoIP of some sort) then its going to be an excellent connection with excellent quality. It's about equivalent to Hangouts and a touch better than Skype-to-Skype calls.
    diesteldorf likes this.

I'm not a TMO customer, but a lot of people rave about WIFI calling as being crystal clear, better than skype, and as good as a traditional cellular call.
    It is. I have traditionally tended to just leave WiFi enabled. Thus my handset will automagically switch to WiFi calling whenever a reasonable cell connection can't be established. TBH: Cellular calls and WiFi calls have been indistinguishable from one another.

Funny you should ask

I just re-installed/-enabled Hangouts on both my handset and my tablet, this morning, and installed the Hangouts Dialer. Did the same on my wife's phone and tablet. Made a variety Hangouts <-> Hangouts and Hangouts <-> cellular calls, between handset/handset, tablet/handset and tablet/tablet. (I don't know if we hit all combinations.) They were just short test calls (save one, which was a Real Call), but they all sounded fine in both directions. Only thing was: Hangouts calls on the handset, using the speakerphone: Volume level was exceedingly weak.

I'm doing this because I'm considering a handset that won't have WiFi calling. So I need an alternative.

Only problem I have with Hangouts, so far: I really don't want Google into my life any more than it already has been Oh: And it takes an exceedingly long time to establish a connection. Other than that: The Hangouts Dialer app, and the resulting VoIP calls, seem to work fine.
    diesteldorf likes this.

If I am initiating calls wifi calling is great. On my note 2 when I get an incoming call there is a considerable lag between me swiping to answer and the person on the other end being able to hear me. I believe this is a note 2 issue. Just felt I should bring my story to aid that it varies per phone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast