WIFI calling

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking of switching to T-Mobile, primarily for the WIFI calling feature on most of their android phones. I haven't read much on this forum in regards to its use. How is it for the most part? Do people experience many problems with it? Thank you.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Works pretty good, however keep in mind that it only works with a tmo branded device that supports WiFi calling and not an unlocked phone under the byod program.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
It REALLY depends on the phone.

I have 2 HTC one S. I switched to Tmo specifically for the WiFi calling. It has never worked very good on this model phone, even though at the time it was Tmo's preferred phone.

Talk to Tmo, they say there is no issue, and if there were, it is an HTC issue. Call HTC, they say Tmo isn't smart enough to trouble shoot their own software.

And I sit with a paper weight.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Works pretty good,
Not for my wife and I, on HTC Sensation 4Gs, it doesn't.

Works pretty good,
however keep in mind that it only works with a tmo branded device that supports WiFi calling and not an unlocked phone under the byod program.
Not quite accurate. It can be an unlocked BYOD device, but it has to be a T-Mobile-branded device.

And therein lies the rub: T-Mobile's coverage is such that many people need WiFi calling, but, to get WiFi calling, you have to accept manufacturer and carrier bloat, along with slow-to-nonexistant O/S updates.

Right now we're deciding whether to just live with it or switch carriers. It'd be too bad if we did. We like T-Mobile, but phones that don't work aren't much use.

Jim

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Not quite accurate. It can be an unlocked BYOD device, but it has to be a T-Mobile-branded device.

And therein lies the rub: T-Mobile's coverage is such that many people need WiFi calling, but, to get WiFi calling, you have to accept manufacturer and carrier bloat, along with slow-to-nonexistant O/S updates.

Right now we're deciding whether to just live with it or switch carriers. It'd be too bad if we did. We like T-Mobile, but phones that don't work aren't much use.

Jim

Yeah some people need it but T-Mobile knows their coverage is an issue and are working on it. That's definitely a con if you made a pro and con list for them.

I used to have to survive on wifi calling at my house... For almost a month I've just shut off wifi calling and the phone works great.. They've been expanding coverage here and deploying 20x20 as well.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

Well unlocked or locked it has to be a tmo device. I just wanted ppl to know that it can't just be any unlocked gsm phone but specifically a tmo branded device that supports wifi calling. This is something I didn't know until a rep told me.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
What I've gathered from my own experience and seeing other people's feedback is that the implementation on Samsung phones is great and new HTC phones (the One M7 and M8) work well. The older HTC phones had issues.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It REALLY depends on the phone.

I have 2 HTC one S. I switched to Tmo specifically for the WiFi calling. It has never worked very good on this model phone, even though at the time it was Tmo's preferred phone.

Talk to Tmo, they say there is no issue, and if there were, it is an HTC issue. Call HTC, they say Tmo isn't smart enough to trouble shoot their own software.

And I sit with a paper weight.

I hate when the mobile provider and phone manufacture pass the buck on issues.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I stopped using it after realizing it was the reason me Good For Enterprise and ISIS payments stopped working. Once I disabled it, both started working again. I think it's possible the SIM is deactivated and so it's not available for security purposes.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I have to say. THE PHONE MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I have carried around the HTC and have nothing but issues with WiFi calling. Got a Celfi (not a Selfi). And still had issues. The Celfi took down my WiFi Booster in the house.

Finally made the move last week and Bought 2 LG G3's

As Emeril would say BAM !!!!!!!!

Phones work great on both WiFi and Cell service. Where I was getting no signal in the house I now get 2 or 3 bars of 4G. Before I had all sorts of WiFi Issues, those are gone.

As much as I loved my HTC. Not sure I would ever go back to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2