VoLTE update

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else having issues when calling over LTE? Basically what is happening is I make a call just fine and talk but right around 15-20 min into the call I can hear the other person just fine but they can't hear me. It's bizarre...yes I've done the update and have the S5.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes I'm positive. Doesn't matter if they are on an LTE capable device

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure their device is VoLTE capable too? If it's not, then the call won't be on LTE.

I don't think that's the case on T-Mobile. Verizon has said that, but on T-Mobile I believe that only applies for HD voice.

Anyway, from what I've read VoLTE is still rather inconsistent. If you're seeing this happen every time you make a long call, you may want to just disable VoLTE on your phone until they get things more stable.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I just figured out how to do that...I thought at first I couldn't unless I completely disabled LTE but there is an option to disable VoLTE

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that's the case on T-Mobile. Verizon has said that, but on T-Mobile I believe that only applies for HD voice.

Anyway, from what I've read VoLTE is still rather inconsistent. If you're seeing this happen every time you make a long call, you may want to just disable VoLTE on your phone until they get things more stable.
Oh, OK. My bad, I thought it was the same as it was with HD voice where both parties needed VoLTE capable devices to do so.
I agree with raptir. I'm guessing you didn't have any issue with voice over H+ like you are with LTE.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is your area an officially launched market? Or did you just happen to notice your area is allowing it? If it's not a launched market yet they could still be working out the kinks.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Last edited:

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Is your area an officially launched market? Or did you just happen to notice your area is allowing it? If it's not a launched market yet they could still be working out the kinks.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Tampa, FL

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

TMO's voLTE doesn't need end to end voLTE coverage, according to Neville Ray:

Enhanced Single Radio Voice Call Continuity (eSRVCC) is a new LTE Advanced function and we’re excited to be the first to deploy it in the U.S. All of this basically helps ensure that your capable phone won’t drop a call if you leave an LTE area and it switches to 4G HSPA+ or 2G coverage.

I'm guessing HD calling is why Verizon needs end to end, but I could be wrong.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Actually I was just informed that my issue is now a known issue with VoLTE. That if the person on the other end doesn't have VoLTE that the phone goes screwy and you will lose audio.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
On T-Mobile and AT&T... VOLTE Calls can swap between LTE and HSPA/GSM networks... If both customers are on LTE, the call will be HD, but drop to a standard call if someone drops off lte... With Verizon, Sprint and US Cellular... the call will DISCONNECT if either caller drops off LTE... However, this will not work in reverse... If i am on LTE and you are on 3G... the call will ALWAYS be Standard even if you finally hit LTE...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
On T-Mobile and AT&T... VOLTE Calls can swap between LTE and HSPA/GSM networks... If both customers are on LTE, the call will be HD, but drop to a standard call if someone drops off lte... With Verizon, Sprint and US Cellular... the call will DISCONNECT if either caller drops off LTE... However, this will not work in reverse... If i am on LTE and you are on 3G... the call will ALWAYS be Standard even if you finally hit LTE...

Calls now are HD voice even if not on LTE. Before VoLTE came out all calls dropped to HSPA when making them... And HD voice worked. For my gf and I (S4 and Note 3) it still works this way.. We drop to HSPA and have HD voice. HD voice isn't reliant on LTE.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Calls now are HD voice even if not on LTE. Before VoLTE came out all calls dropped to HSPA when making them... And HD voice worked. For my gf and I (S4 and Note 3) it still works this way.. We drop to HSPA and have HD voice. HD voice isn't reliant on LTE.

This. HD calling well pre-dates voLTE on TMO. Even LTE, IIRC. But it requires both parties to be in "HD" markets (with HD calling handsets.)

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Most recent article i have read says the DEMONSTRATION of VOLTE was done with the LG G2... the phone i have! In 2016... Most phones will come out LTE ONLY.. Meaning no 3G or 1X Network Access... by then, all Remaining 3G only area's will be LTE
Verizon's Voice over LTE rollout means video calls, HD voice, and Alaska | PCWorld
First step in a long process
All the major U.S. carriers are expected to use the same standard for VoLTE and work together to make sure customers can make VoLTE calls to their friends who use other service providers. But the migration will take several years. T-Mobile offers nationwide VoLTE and AT&T hhas introduced VoLTE in parts of its coverage areas. Sprint offers HD Voice service today over 3G, but hasn’t said when it will introduce VoLTE.

Even at Verizon, the technology will be rolled out in several steps.

First, Verizon needs to make VoLTE work on the phones that its own subscribers are already using. Last week, the company demonstrated the new feature on an LG G2 smartphone and said it will also be available on several smartphones around launch time, but it wouldn’t name those devices. The first batch of phones will graduate to VoLTE through over-the-air software upgrades, and their owners will get to choose whether to activate VoLTE.

Starting in 2016, Verizon expects to start shipping some phones that rely solely on LTE for voice calling. Over time, the carrier will fill in its 3G-only areas with LTE coverage until the last 3G cells are turned off, but that won’t be until at least 2020, the company says. By then, all the handsets it sells should be VoLTE-only.

In Alaska, Verizon’s getting a head start on LTE-only service. It’s selling mobile voice service for the first time in the state thanks to the VoLTE launch. Verizon turned on an LTE network and launched data services in the most populated areas of Alaska last year. It won’t build a 3G network there at all, instead relying on roaming partners for additional coverage.

In time, Verizon also hopes to add more IP-based services, such as text chatting and file transfers. There’s a whole portfolio of standard communications technologies, called RCS (Rich Communications Services), that might help carriers offer alternatives to features already delivered by so-called over-the-top Internet providers such as Google and Skype. The advertised advantage of RCS, and of Verizon’s new VoLTE voice and video calls is that they are more tightly integrated with the carrier’s network and user interface.

However, RCS appears to be an over-engineered response to services from Internet companies that already had a long head start, Tolaga’s Marshall said. “I don’t see them competing at the bleeding edge, by a long shot,” he said.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Verizon has made it very clear starting 2016... They will start releasing LTE ONLY PHONES as they are Shutting down CDMA/3G in 2020/2021 and converting it to LTE... they are jumping the gun and getting everyone off CDMA before then

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yadde