Question about exchanging phone

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I just upgraded to a LG G3 the other day and so far it's been okay, except for one annoyance, the Bluetooth. It hardly ever works with my car and when it does it will cut off after ~30min. I've read about people having similar problems, but I've also read that people aren't. I was planning on going to T-Mobile yesterday to see what I could do, when my phone slipped out of my pocket as I reached to get my chapstick. There is now some scratches by the headphone port. Normally, this wouldn't ever have happened because I always case my phones. My case though doesn't arrive until Wednesday. The scuff isn't terrible and if I didn't have issues with my phone I wouldn't think twice about it as it would be covered by a case, but will T-Mobile not allow me to exchange? Bluetooth is very important to me as I'm always in my car and I would hate to have to stick with this phone just because of a little scuff. Any response is appreciated and thanks for your time.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If the phone has been damaged from the fall and that's your reason for exchanging it I doubt they will allow that. They usually only exchange if it's an issue with the phone not caused by you.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
If the phone has been damaged from the fall and that's your reason for exchanging it I doubt they will allow that. They usually only exchange if it's an issue with the phone not caused by you.

The reason I want to exchange isn't because of the scuff. The phone works as it has been before the drop. The reason I want to return the phone is because of the faulty Bluetooth, which was an issue before the drop.

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
This would normally fall under an insurance claim if the phone is inoperable.

The phone works exactly like it did before the drop. The only difference is a scuff next to the headphone port. The Bluetooth is the only reason I want to exchange the phone because it just does not work. If the only problem with the phone was the scuff, I wouldn't mind it because I would just put a case on it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The reason I want to exchange isn't because of the scuff. The phone works as it has been before the drop. The reason I want to return the phone is because of the faulty Bluetooth, which was an issue before the drop.

You can try but honestly when you go in and say the BT isn't working.. If they see the damage from the fall they may say it's from that.. And it's hard to prove otherwise.

It's definitely a bad situation. You can always try though... Worse they say is no.

Last edited:

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
You can try but honestly when you go in and say the BT isn't working.. If they see the damage from the fall they may say it's from that.. And it's hard to prove otherwise.

It's definitely a bad situation. You can always try though... Worse the say is no.

Thank you very much for the responses. I'm just gonna go and see what I can do. You're right, worst thing they can say is no.

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
They ended up not even looking at my phone. They told me that it wasn't the phones problem, but my car is the problem. When I told them that my Nexus 5 worked perfectly with my car, they said it was because it was an older phone. I asked them since LG made the Nexus 5, shouldn't the Bluetooth work just as well with the G3? The guy I was talking to just shrugged and said "Yeah, that's weird." I feel like I should've pressed more into my 14 day return period, but felt like they would've been more scrutinous in their search for something I did wrong. I just purchased a replacement back cover (since most of the scuff is on the back cover). I'm hoping it comes before the end of 14 days so I can just outright return the phone for something else. Thanks again for responding.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This makes me very curious about the difference between the Bluetooth tech in each. As far as I know, you're right, it should work.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
That explanation is complete BS and newer Android phones should work just as well with older Bluetooth devices. The kicker though is that the LG G3 and Nexus 5 use the exact same Bluetooth chipset. The Nexus 5 uses the Snapdragon 800 SoC and the LG G3 uses the Snapdragon 801. The only differences between the two are 1) an overclock on the 801 and 2) a slightly different memory controller. Nothing about the Bluetooth radio has changed.

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
That explanation is complete BS and newer Android phones should work just as well with older Bluetooth devices. The kicker though is that the LG G3 and Nexus 5 use the exact same Bluetooth chipset. The Nexus 5 uses the Snapdragon 800 SoC and the LG G3 uses the Snapdragon 801. The only differences between the two are 1) an overclock on the 801 and 2) a slightly different memory controller. Nothing about the Bluetooth radio has changed.

I had a feeling that this was the case but didn't have the evidence to back it up. I'm gonna wait for the replacement cover to come in and then get an exchange done. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I had a feeling that this was the case but didn't have the evidence to back it up. I'm gonna wait for the replacement cover to come in and then get an exchange done. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Well, it's not guaranteed to work. LG makes great hardware but terrible software. The firmware LG threw together could have some bug that is causing your issue. If you're going to try another, make sure you would still be able to return it after in case it doesn't solve the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781