Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By raptir
  • 2 Post By Almeuit
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    From an internal report T-Mobile is supposedly going to start throttling users on unlimited who use p2p programs and also people who hack their tether.

    http://www.androidcentral.com/t-mobi...d-p2p-sharing/


    What are your thoughts?

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  2. #2  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,207 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,251 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    I don't like that they are accessing how individuals are using data. Obviously they CAN see what you're connected to, but IMO they shouldn't. Their purpose is to provide connectivity and all bytes should be treated equally. At the same time, if their ToC are clear and you are violating them, of course TMO has a right to enforce what you agreed to.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    I don't mind as I don't use either (although I'm against them charging extra for tethering) but I actually agree with them. Until we get to a point where mobile networks are actually optimized for constant data throughput for every user, we need to have the 'abusers' to chill out. Fair use.
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    With regards to tethering, I absolutely understand that they don't want people spending $80 on an unlimited plan and using that as their home internet. It's not the content of the data that's being monitored here it's the device that's using the data, and I don't really see a problem with that.

    I'm a little more torn on items like torrents. I imagine there are too few users that download files legally using torrent (I only ever do for Linux distributions, and that's obviously not on my phone) for it to be a major issue. Even with the legal uses you're able to max out your upstream connection for long periods of time even after you have downloaded your file, which is atypical use for a phone. But what about BitTorrent Sync? Since it uses the torrent protocol would that get picked up as well?
    Almeuit likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    With regards to tethering, I absolutely understand that they don't want people spending $80 on an unlimited plan and using that as their home internet. It's not the content of the data that's being monitored here it's the device that's using the data, and I don't really see a problem with that.

    I'm a little more torn on items like torrents. I imagine there are too few users that download files legally using torrent (I only ever do for Linux distributions, and that's obviously not on my phone) for it to be a major issue. Even with the legal uses you're able to max out your upstream connection for long periods of time even after you have downloaded your file, which is atypical use for a phone. But what about BitTorrent Sync? Since it uses the torrent protocol would that get picked up as well?
    I agree with this.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    I don't like that they are accessing how individuals are using data. Obviously they CAN see what you're connected to, but IMO they shouldn't. Their purpose is to provide connectivity and all bytes should be treated equally. At the same time, if their ToC are clear and you are violating them, of course TMO has a right to enforce what you agreed to.
    While I agree with you, they aren't the only ones don't) doing it. The TOS has been there for a long time, they are just enforcing their terms. I don't see a problem with it personally.

    Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3
  7. #7  

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    I'm of two minds about this. Like "below the line" charges: Calling a plan "unlimited," then limiting it, seems unethical. Yes, they have clearly (FSVO "clearly") defined T&Cs, but still: It's either unlimited or it's not. It's clearly not. OTOH: There's limited bandwidth resources/cell, and that bandwidth is shared. It's the nature of the beast. They obviously can't allow a few people who are trying to get something for "nothing" free reign. And they have published the T&Cs. So...

    Jim
  8. #8  

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    Looking at the T&C it specifies "torrent to multiple users."

    (g) using the Service in connection with server devices or host computer applications, including continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients
    So BitTorrent Sync obeys the terms and conditions, but I'd be worried that the method they use to detect torrents may ignore this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Stoneface View Post
    I'm of two minds about this. Like "below the line" charges: Calling a plan "unlimited," then limiting it, seems unethical. Yes, they have clearly (FSVO "clearly") defined T&Cs, but still: It's either unlimited or it's not. It's clearly not. OTOH: There's limited bandwidth resources/cell, and that bandwidth is shared. It's the nature of the beast. They obviously can't allow a few people who are trying to get something for "nothing" free reign. And they have published the T&Cs. So...

    Jim
    There aren't any additional charges, they just throttle you for breaking the terms of use. And it's unlimited in terms of quantity, it's not unrestricted. If they start throttling based purely on quantity of data used, then it would be unethical to advertise as unlimited.

    Edit: I reread your message and realized you were comparing it to additional charges, not saying that there were any. Still, the other two sentences are relevant.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Stoneface View Post
    I'm of two minds about this. Like "below the line" charges: Calling a plan "unlimited," then limiting it, seems unethical. Yes, they have clearly (FSVO "clearly") defined T&Cs, but still: It's either unlimited or it's not. It's clearly not. OTOH: There's limited bandwidth resources/cell, and that bandwidth is shared. It's the nature of the beast. They obviously can't allow a few people who are trying to get something for "nothing" free reign. And they have published the T&Cs. So...

    Jim
    It maybe so, but all carriers do limit unlimited in some form.

    Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3
  10. #10  

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    It was already part of the terms and conditions previously.

    Bravo to tmobile for actually enforcing it now.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    So let's make it clear here, if I use 50GB a month by just watching stuff on my phone ONLY like YouTube, TV Portal, Showbox etc is that considered P2P and I will get throttled or since its all on my phone and its like Netflix and Hulu I won't be throttled?

    Posted via Android Central App On My T-Mobile LG G3
  12. #12  

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysSmile View Post
    So let's make it clear here, if I use 50GB a month by just watching stuff on my phone ONLY like YouTube, TV Portal, Showbox etc is that considered P2P and I will get throttled or since its all on my phone and its like Netflix and Hulu I won't be throttled?

    Posted via Android Central App On My T-Mobile LG G3
    No no no and no
  13. #13  

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    Firstly, a good tethering method masks the tether recipient and makes the tethering undetectable.

    Secondly, this is nothing new. It's always been there.

    It's like your mom reminding you that the dishes have to be done when she can't even see into the kitchen from where she's sitting. It is a general broadcast comment on a policy well established.

    Nothing to see here, move along.
    Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: T-Mobile to throttle p2p users and tether hackers

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysSmile View Post
    So let's make it clear here, if I use 50GB a month by just watching stuff on my phone ONLY like YouTube, TV Portal, Showbox etc is that considered P2P and I will get throttled or since its all on my phone and its like Netflix and Hulu I won't be throttled?

    Posted via Android Central App On My T-Mobile LG G3
    No. P2P is peer to peer... So basically person to person. Usually torrents do this as there are seeders with 100 percent of the file... And leeches who connect to seeders and other leeches to download parts of the file until they get the entire thing.. So it's a mass pool of people and connections..

    When you're watching via YouTube and Netflix, etc.... It's server client.. You're the client.. They're the server streaming you the content.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    Bigballer and RumoredNow like this.

Similar Threads

  1. S3 data usage far different to service provider..
    By ElliottHz in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2014, 11:37 AM
  2. Charging the S5 Home and Mobile
    By jmagid51 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 02:25 PM
  3. AdService and Samsung Push Service
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 12:57 PM
  4. Transferring photos to computer
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 12:47 PM
  5. How to re-install beats audio on HTC
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 09:59 AM

Posting Permissions