Can I put a voice plan sim into an Android?

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Looking into something for my sons non-techie teacher. She has a simple voice only phone (that takes horrible pictures which she nicely sends to me during the day showing me what my 1yr old is up too). She does not want to change her plan and pay for data, and has had her same phone/plan for a few years... so I assume shes not in contract and month to month...
My question: Could I get her a used tmobile android off craigslist and just put her SIM in it? woudl it work fine as a dumb phone (no data but I assuem can still send photo texts like she does now) and she could just connect to wifi if she wanted to use any of the data features? And most important, would doing this possibly affect her plan and make her bill change (I dont want to take the chance if that could happen).

Sorry if this is a simple question, Ive never had a GSM phone before so im not sure how it works..
thanx
Danny

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: can i put a voice plan sim into an android

Do you know what wireless service she uses? I would suggest calling the support line for her wireless service and ask--they'll probably be able to give you the most accurate answer. You'd need to find out if a user who doesn't have a data plan might get charged a high "a la carte" data rate if they suddenly decide to turn their mobile data on (kind of like getting charged per text if you don't have a messaging plan).

On Android phones, in order to send a photo via texting, you need mobile data, since it's an MMS message. I'm not sure how her dumb phone sends the photos, and I wonder if she actually pays for some service to allow her to do this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol