Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default T-Mobile adds more services to Music Freedom

T-Mobile added more to their music freedom... Sadly Google music is still coming "later this year".

T-Mobile also said since the beginning of Music Freedom (June) customers have Streamed 7k TB of music.

T-Mobile adds six streaming services to Music Freedom, Google Play Music support coming later this year | Android Central
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: T-Mobile adds more services to Music Freedom

whoohoo!!! I do stream a lot of Spotify now that I have T-Mo, I admit. Downside? I now have to charge my phone throughout the day hehe. Weird that Grooveshark is making these deals; I thought they weren't in good legal standings.

7k tb might seem like a lot, but considering that tmobile has about 50 million subscribers, that comes out to 140mb per person. Granted not everyone is on the simple choice plan, but let's assume a third are. That is still only 420mb per person.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

I've used around 1.5GB out of Spotify alone in a little over two weeks o_O. I wish there was a way to tell the Android Data Monitor to ignore certain apps now haha I have to 'manually' substract Spotify traffic from everything else to see if how I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    7k tb might seem like a lot, but considering that tmobile has about 50 million subscribers, that comes out to 140mb per person. Granted not everyone is on the simple choice plan, but let's assume a third are. That is still only 420mb per person.
    I suspect it's like any other kind of data usage: some people are using the hell out of it, while others aren't using it much if at all.

I'd be curious to know what it is about Google Play Music that's taking so long to integrate into their system.

Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    I'd be curious to know what it is about Google Play Music that's taking so long to integrate into their system.
    Deals. The free streaming doesn't really come for free. A deal must be made between T-Mo and Google so that the service can be given out, free of charge, to T-Mo's users ($$$$$). The house never loses, remember?

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Deals. The free streaming doesn't really come for free. A deal must be made between T-Mo and Google so that the service can be given out, free of charge, to T-Mo's users ($$$$$). The house never loses, remember?
    John Legere specifically said that the services weren't paying T-Mobile as part of the Music Freedom deal.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    John Legere specifically said that the services weren't paying T-Mobile as part of the Music Freedom deal.
    This. T-Mobile gains no money from these companies.

I still think they have to reach some sort of deal. If not moneywise, then in some other way.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I still think they have to reach some sort of deal. If not moneywise, then in some other way.
    The deal is them working together so T-Mobile knows what server is sending the traffic and they can "White list" that data so it won't count on their network. Other than that there is no real "deal" only a gain really for that company to have their customer's data not count on T-Mobile.

Interesting that they added Grooveshark considering all the legal issues they have had.

Global Posts
    1,960 Global Posts

I've used around 1.5GB out of Spotify alone in a little over two weeks o_O. I wish there was a way to tell the Android Data Monitor to ignore certain apps now haha I have to 'manually' substract Spotify traffic from everything else to see if how I'm doing.
    Or use the TMo app and see exactly what the carrier shows for data use.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The T-Mobile app never works for me on my note 3 I usually just go on the website.

I use spotify & rhapsody, between those two I use about 10-15GB a month

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

Also even though it is never mentioned Audio Addict (DI.fm, RadioTunes etc)is unlimited. I stream for hours and even at home turned off WiFi and listened for DI.fm for over a hour using its app and it did not use one byte of data. What uses data is if I open up Chrome and browse a website.
    ASUS Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - Stock Android 5.0.1 on WiFi.
    LG Nexus 5 Phone (2013) - Stock Android 5.0.1 on T-Mobile LTE and WiFi.
    Cats are the best pets.

What I would like to know is if John Legere is planning on white-listing the entire Google Play music including personal uploaded music or all access? I really want to know!!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    What I would like to know is if John Legere is planning on white-listing the entire Google Play music including personal uploaded music or all access? I really want to know!!
    We will find out once they announce it . I'd hope they include it all.. But who knows..

Well I think for this deal with these companies are more like hey you like music then come to us plus when you know
    that these company big wigs is getting some type of kick back maybe it's a deal where they get a huge discounts on service and so they say here you go we give you this if you give us this

Quote Originally Posted by Csan508 View Post
    Well I think for this deal with these companies are more like hey you like music then come to us plus when you know
    that these company big wigs is getting some type of kick back maybe it's a deal where they get a huge discounts on service and so they say here you go we give you this if you give us this
    doubt it. Legere specifically stated that music freedom doesn't go against the principles of net neutrality because tmobile doesn't make any money from these companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    doubt it. Legere specifically stated that music freedom doesn't go against the principles of net neutrality because tmobile doesn't make any money from these companies.
    Well I mean like if company a wants to be a part of it they but to sweetin the pot a little bit is the employees would get a discount on services from T-Mobile like how if you work for a company and get a discount on something like that
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Well I mean like if company a wants to be a part of it they but to sweetin the pot a little bit is the employees would get a discount on services from T-Mobile like how if you work for a company and get a discount on something like that
    Yeah they don't do anything of this nature. T-Mobile is doing this to simply benefit their customers with no data usage on music streaming.

The companies that are apart of it just get the benefit of customers maybe using their service since it doesn't use data... The companies get no incentives, perks, kick backs, price breaks, or anything of that nature.

there are no kickbacks. The whole point of net neutrality is so you don't get something similar to att's ads. You push att some $$$ to get stuff through the web with no charge to the consumer. In tmobile's case, no one wins except the consumer and maybe the streaming service. The key to tmobile's music freedom is the "limited" number of streaming services