Google voice with hangouts

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Now that google voice goes through hangouts is it going to work better? Anyone use or try it yet?

Previously I understood that using voice would have the minutes charges against your T-Mo minutes unless you used a voip app many of which had problems, I assume if using hangouts you shouldn't have any charge against your minutes but it would be good to confirm this as I use the $30.00 plan which only gives 100 minutes.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
From my understanding it doesn't use minutes. It's a full voip call now so it uses data.

dasesq

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm it doesn't use minutes. Purposely made calls on it. No change in minutes used.

It's so cool!

Last edited:

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I've experimented with Google Voice via Hangouts. It seems to work well, though call completion can take an inordinately long time. Call quality, once the call is established, has been excellent. Retrieving voicemail is troublesome. There are "issues" with SMS or MMS, or both, I undertand.

Shouldn't consume call minutes, I would think. It's using data and the entire call is on Google's time, not TMO's.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Do I understand it right that calls can be placed to any number ie: the number doesn't have to be associated with a user of hangouts of voice?

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Do I understand it right that calls can be placed to any number ie: the number doesn't have to be associated with a user of hangouts of voice?

That's correct. There's no fee for numbers in the US but there are fees for numbers elsewhere.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I've experimented with Google Voice via Hangouts. It seems to work well, though call completion can take an inordinately long time. Call quality, once the call is established, has been excellent. Retrieving voicemail is troublesome. There are "issues" with SMS or MMS, or both, I undertand.

Shouldn't consume call minutes, I would think. It's using data and the entire call is on Google's time, not TMO's.

Glad to read this. I thought I was the only one experiencing the long time to connect issue. I wonder if it's something that can be fixed easily.

Posted via the Android Central App

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Hangouts app was recently revised maybe that addresses the issue.

I can't try out voice until we go back to Florida in early Oct as I haven't got a number.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Glad to read this. I thought I was the only one experiencing the long time to connect issue. I wonder if it's something that can be fixed easily.
It would have to be fixed at the server end. We have SIP service for our business phones at work. It, too, has much, much longer call completion times than the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network--what people think of as the traditional phone system) had when we used that. (Not as slow as GV is, tho.)

I think part of it is, and likely always will be, the inherent non-deterministic nature of connection completion with IP, which is exacerbated on the public Internet by the fact that going from "here" to "there" often involves a non-deterministic route through multiple network segments. The PSTN is more deterministic and more real time.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Tried out Google voice dialer and purposely called my home number. The only thing is that the caller ID on my home phone said "unknown caller". Is that normal?

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Tried out Google voice dialer and purposely called my home number. The only thing is that the caller ID on my home phone said "unknown caller". Is that normal?
If you don't have a Google voice number, then it will show up as unknown caller. If you have a GV#, then the caller I.D. will show your GV# when you call out

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Now in Florida and have obtained a voice number.
Have made calls with the dialer app and quality of sound was very good. A call to a local number connected very quickly whereas a call to Canada took a while to connect.
I understand that I can receive calls on my cell for calls made to my google voice number but haven't tried this yet. You need to turn on "incoming phone calls" the following link explains how.
https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/6079064?hl=en

This plus using the $30.00 Walmart plan makes for a great combination especially for anyone making calls to/from Canada

Edited Oct 10th
Found out that when you turn on "incoming phone calls" it creates a conflict as your phone is now ringing from google voice forwarding and the call going through hangouts at the same time. Seems you have to go into voice settings and remove the forwarding to the cell number.

Last edited:

wazzugrad

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Where are you finding these settings. I unchecked my phone number at google.com/voice but I'm still getting calls ringing twice.

Posted via the Android Central App

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Sprint and have always had Google Voice integration on my cell phone.
If I have my tablet or PC on, both the phone and the device will ring, but the phone is not double ringing.

Thinking of switching to T-mobile (who offers VOIP) and am wondering how the GV/Hangouts integration is going to bork GV as I now know it.
It's been great being able to take work calls OTG without having to hand out my cell#.
Setting Hangouts dialer as default and NOT porting or forwarding any of my GV numbers to my T-Mobile account would be option #1 for me.

Can you tell me what carrier you have for this "$30 Walmart plan" and how does it handle the handoff from Wifi to cellular data?
i.e., leaving the area of your router while continuing your call?

Maybe I'll have to sideload the legacy GV app on my new GSM phone in order to keep what I already have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2