Why would the "uncarrier" support DT Ignite?

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
For those unaware, T-Mobile and Verizon have started pushing an app called Digital Turbine Ignite to their branded phones. This application is able to install additional bloatware to your phone silently in the background. After I finished Thanksgiving dinner I turned my Note 4 on to find that I had three new applications installed and no record of them under My Apps in the Play Store. I figured I had a virus, but nope, just the carrier forcing things onto my device again.

DT Ignite allows carriers to install post-sale bloatware

It's one thing to have bloatware preinstalled, another to install new bloatware in a system update, but to push it silently in the background is a whole different animal. It makes malware detection much harder since your phone's preinstalled software is acting like malware. It concerns me that T-Mobile is continuing to do some very "carrier" things while using free music streaming and etc to distract us.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Here's a bit more info. T-Mo Galaxy Note 4 customers complaining of DT Ignite software installing apps without permission It looks like the most recent software update T-Mobile pushed to the Note 4 sneaked in DT Ignite. The good news is that you can delete the apps it installs and you can disable DT Ignite but I am still really pissed off about this.

Although it's a bit of a "slippery slope" argument, what's to stop T-Mobile from preventing its users from disabling the app in the future? There were a number of apps on my Note 4 that could not be disabled.

Regardless, it was enough to get me to return my phone. I won't be buying any carrier-branded phones again.

Keltian

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Although it's a bit of a "slippery slope" argument, what's to stop T-Mobile from preventing its users from disabling the app in the future? There were a number of apps on my Note 4 that could not be disabled.

Regardless, it was enough to get me to return my phone. I won't be buying any carrier-branded phones again.

Sadly, I'm stuck paying off my phone and I don't have JUMP. As soon as I can though, I am switching to a Nexus phone.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

I've learned long ago never again will I buy a carrier branded phone...

Posted via the Android Central App

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I mean, just buy an unlocked phone. Oneplus, Moto X, nexus 5,6, etc etc. GSM phones are traditionally cheaper than CDMA phones.