Upgrade likelihood.

doubleplusepic

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
So I just went into a store today to capitalize on my Premium Handset Protection plan, for the second time in the past year, because my S4 stopped working. I asked the gentleman behind the counter if it were possible that I could be upgraded to a different phone, considering all the hardware and software issues I seem to be having with the Galaxy S4 line. He said that unfortunately they have nothing to do with that at the store level and that's a question for T-Mobile customer service. Now I very recently had a very positive experience with their customer service, but before I waste my time and theirs, does anyone think it's remotely likely I will be able to finagle an upgrade out of them over the phone? It was only last May that I turned my first S4 in and got a replacement, now barely 7 months later I'm having issues again? That's pretty outrageous, and with this one I lost all my data. Pictures, audio files of original songwriting ideas, texts, snapchat convos, everything. Gone. The phone won't boot up and there's no way to access anything.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Nick

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say they probably will ask you to pay the remaining balance (up to 50%) of the device since you already have some payments on it .. and then let you "Jump" to a new one. That would be my guess on what they would do for you since malfunctions are usually dealt with by dealing with the manufacturer directly (warranty). They usually only exchange within a certain time frame (usually 14-30 days) of the device purchase. Insurance is usually in case you break it -- and it would probably be cheaper to pay it off and go to another phone.

doubleplusepic

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
That's the thing, I have like 40 bucks or two months left of payments until the phone is paid off. I've been with the company three years just a week or two ago.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it's already the JUMP! program or if you got migrated into it, you should be able to upgrade since you've paid for more than half of the device by just turning it in.

Or if you only have so little left, you could just pay that one off and get a new phone from their '0 down' selection and just start paying that one off.

If what you want is a newer phone as a warranty replacement (without having to make 'new' payments) then it's very unlikely. The only time any company does this is if they run out of replacement devices or repair parts for your particular model (my sister's Samsung TV broke down, was under extended warranty, but since they didn't have that model anymore, they replaced it with the newest equivalent). Unfortunately for you, the S4 is still 'in existence'.

doubleplusepic

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Ahh okay. I can do without. I just hope that these issues don't crop up again in 6 (maybe?) months.

Being that I am unfortunately between jobs AND going to school, this is not a great time to take on a new phone. I'm relishing the idea of a day where I can pay $20 less on my bill each month lol.

Thank you both for your advice!!

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you want to save, you could try finding a buddy or a family member that's willing to enter a shared plan and just split the bill. The 100 bucks for two unlimited 4G lines is quite enticing.