T-mobile is claiming they are now 3rd

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
The issue is that using 1TB in a month could be done many different ways. I get an average of 70Mbps down. That means I could, in theory, burn through 1TB in 31 hours of constant usage. If everyone did that, yes, it would be a serious strain and would probably bring down the network. On the flip side, you could go through that same 1TB by using 3Mbps for the entire month, which would not be nearly as much of a strain.

Really the way that Verizon handled their grandfathered unlimited customers is probably the best way. If an unlimited customer has used a certain amount of data, they get assigned a lower priority than other unlimited customers or than capped customers. If they are in a congested area they will see poor performance, but if they are not in a congested area then they get the full throughput.

This is true. I still think that that would be an insane amount of data. But I think you are correct the people who use a lot of data should have less priority than everybody else so they do not mess up the network for the rest of the users. Everybody should have an equally good experience. That is a good point that you brought up. If it was 30 or 40 gigabyte so I could understand but not one terabyte. That is really fast download speeds. I really think t-mobile is a great providor.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Really the way that Verizon handled their grandfathered unlimited customers is probably the best way. If an unlimited customer has used a certain amount of data, they get assigned a lower priority than other unlimited customers or than capped customers. If they are in a congested area they will see poor performance, but if they are not in a congested area then they get the full throughput.

Verizon didn't / doesn't do this though. They backed off after the uproar.

Verizon won't throttle its heaviest unlimited data users after all | Android Central

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
TMO and Sprint have unlimited data because their networks are able to handle it, at least for now. And TMO (Legere) has already said that unlimited means unlimited under "fair use." Plus they have optimization rules in place.

Do you think that if TMO were to get to AT&T/Verizon's size, they wouldn't get rid of the unlimited tiers? Sprint started throttling their unlimited plans while Hesse was still around.
I'm on T-Mobile and did over a terabyte couple months back. I still was getting over 100MB Download speeds.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 via the Coconut Wireless \000/

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I was with sprint and never was slowed down. Sprint's unlimited always been unlimited.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 rockin 5.0.1
I was with sprint for 13 years never was slowed down too, unless you consider 100-200KB max download speeds throttled?

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Some of you people using insane amounts of data. I don't even understand how that much data can possibly be use and it is a waste for the rest of the people I still think. Certainly hope they give you less network priority but it sounds to me like you must be streaming movies and downloading huge files all day and never using wifi. I cannot even use more than 200 gigabytes a month on a wifi connection. That is was watching television between two people.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I do not know how they do it T- Mobile is doing some excellent marketing. They have made me consider switching at least a couple of times already.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Some of you people using insane amounts of data. I don't even understand how that much data can possibly be use and it is a waste for the rest of the people I still think. Certainly hope they give you less network priority but it sounds to me like you must be streaming movies and downloading huge files all day and never using wifi. I cannot even use more than 200 gigabytes a month on a wifi connection. That is was watching television between two people.

A waste? There isn't a limit on the GB they have .. if everyone was doing it yes it would hurt the bandwidth but carriers don't have like a huge pool of data that once all customer's use it .. it is gone. ;).

Also you just don't use your phone the way we do. Simple as that. If you do not stream stuff --- you won't use much data. I have streamed a bunch of Twitch.tv in HD -- and Xfinity in HD to my phone this month and I am at 100 GB + --- As you said streaming TV can add up quick.

Also I use wifi at home but .. at work our wifi is so slow you can barley stream music so .. I use mobile data. Why not use it? They give us unlimited data right?

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Ok. Maybe I should have worded what I said differently. I am Not exactly saying that it is a waste but I am just afraid that if people use too much data on the network they will quit unlimited data which I do not want to see. The other thing I do not want to see is T Mobile's network crashing or becoming unusable because of everybody using it irresponsibly. 100 gigabytes per month is quite high for a mobile device but I do see how fast it is to use data when streaming. I am in a very unfortunate situation this month as we have 4 gigabytes to last almost two weeks with Verizon as our home wifi is currently not working. I have thought many times about switching to T Mobile and maybe if what they say is true and they do have a date as strong at work maybe everybody using a hundred gigabytes per month is ok. I just don't know I just don't want to see them go under because of people abusing what they pay for.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Honestly the only and I mean the only reason we are not switching to T Mobile is the cause we use little data most months around 1 gigabyte and the pricing is about the same for two phones. It would cost $80 either way. When and if I do start using more data then I am definitely going to consider making the switch to T Mobile as I love what they're doing. The only thing right now is the cost of getting new devices as my mom has and loves her iPhone 5 C and that I think would be expensive to replace on the T Mobile network. I do think that T Mobile is a wonderful company and I do hope that they are now the third largest in the United States .

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Maybe I should have worded what I said differently. I am Not exactly saying that it is a waste but I am just afraid that if people use too much data on the network they will quit unlimited data which I do not want to see.

Sadly one day no one will have unlimited. It is going to happen -- at least I believe it will. T-Mobile only uses unlimited as its "hook" since it can't compare on coverage and stuff.

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
That's not true bro. Sprint has had unlimited for years and don't see them giving it up. Even if they get bigger Sprint and T-Mobile to an extent has plenty of spectrum to keep unlimited.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's not true bro. Sprint has had unlimited for years and don't see them giving it up. Even if they get bigger Sprint and T-Mobile to an extent has plenty of spectrum to keep unlimited.

I still see it going away for all one day. Sprint has had it for years .. because they're in the same spot as T-Mobile. T-Mobile doesn't have the coverage .. Sprint doesn't have the network speeds ... So that is their hook versus the other two.

Spectrum or not .. Verizon and them could handle it .. if they couldn't due to spectrum they could just force all the people who have unlimited off it .. but they don't.

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I still see it going away for all one day. Sprint has had it for years .. because they're in the same spot as T-Mobile. T-Mobile doesn't have the coverage .. Sprint doesn't have the network speeds ... So that is their hook versus the other two.

Spectrum or not .. Verizon and them could handle it .. if they couldn't due to spectrum they could just force all the people who have unlimited off it .. but they don't.
Because they need subs also to keep that #1 spot. And let's be real Att and vzw did it because they wanted to make more money giving data away in tiers than unlimited.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Because they need subs also to keep that #1 spot. And let's be real Att and vzw did it because they wanted to make more money giving data away in tiers than unlimited.

Exactly -- and one day when they have the network to back it .. I can see the others following. It is just right now if they did .. They lack something major .. either coverage or speed .. so therefore they have to have something different from the big guys.

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
But the big guys are following the lil guy's lately. Vzw or Att hasn't brung anything new to the cell plan world in a long time. And they are losing subs because of it. Honestly I see one of the big 2 bringing back unlimited than Sprint or T-Mobile giving it up.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But the big guys are following the lil guy's lately. Vzw or Att hasn't brung anything new to the cell plan world in a long time. And they are losing subs because of it. Honestly I see one of the big 2 bringing back unlimited than Sprint or T-Mobile giving it up.

Losing subs and it making a true impact are .. two different things. They follow the little guy -- to an extent. AT&T copied the rollover .. for 1 month of rollover not 12 months ... Verizon said no rollover at all. They do promos to lower data caps and prices but .. this isn't new. Look at home ISPs .. if you're paying full price you're doing it wrong since you should always be on a promo.

I do not see Verizon or AT&T ever bringing back unlimited. It would only happen if they lost a ton of customers .. and I mean a TON ... but staying in the #1 and #2 spot .. while making WAY more on limited data versus $30 buffet? Just doesn't make sense to me so I disagree... I don't see it coming back and I don't see T-Mobile and Sprint keeping it once their networks are up to par. Right now if they didn't have unlimited .. I wouldn't even consider them.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
From what I have heard T Mobile is getting much much better as far as their network. This I have tested to be true with a prepaid phone that I use to help supplement my data watching habit. I have watched from YouTube on a tmobile phone as we are out of internet and I want you to test the network. I am quite impressed and as a matter of fact I have gotten better coverage with t-mobile in some areas that I have gotten with my verizon phone. I know this is based on location but I just wanted to throw that out there to you all.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Why would they give us power users less priority? We are not stealing any bandwidth? I'm paying 128 dollars a month for 2 unlimited data lines of service. It's not free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome