Root metric on a national level says otherwise

b31ada6c6633667c8395febcf107d159.jpg

1e3afd4edcfb3ba4c5d82035a74c6dd0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No static test is valid, the path from the provider's entry point to the internet (Point of Presence) to the server measuring the speed is going to vary moment by moment, so even transferring a 100MB file (which is pretty small) is going to have some packets going faster than others. Comparing that to another carrier's PoP to a different server on a different day? Like comparing apples and Martian frogs. The test isn't totally meaningless, it's many orders of magnitude less significant than that. I can get 2mbps download from one server while I'm getting a 20mbps download from another server - from the same computer at the same time. So what's my "speed"?

People who believe "scores" like that also believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy (or know as much about the subject as young children know about sub-atomic physics).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The claims are like any claims .. They're based off certain criteria. Just like claims from every single carrier.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
No static test is valid, the path from the provider's entry point to the internet (Point of Presence) to the server measuring the speed is going to vary moment by moment, so even transferring a 100MB file (which is pretty small) is going to have some packets going faster than others. Comparing that to another carrier's PoP to a different server on a different day? Like comparing apples and Martian frogs. The test isn't totally meaningless, it's many orders of magnitude less significant than that. I can get 2mbps download from one server while I'm getting a 20mbps download from another server - from the same computer at the same time. So what's my "speed"?

People who believe "scores" like that also believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy (or know as much about the subject as young children know about sub-atomic physics).
Yeah but I'm proving t-mobile claims of the "fastest" is pretty much invalid.... They want to claim it but even when I had a good connection I averaged 2-8 mbps in places I barely got service which was quite a few places or 15-20 outside. I've gotten better average speeds with AT&T and verizon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but I'm proving t-mobile claims of the "fastest" is pretty much invalid.... They want to claim it but even when I had a good connection I averaged 2-8 mbps in places I barely got service which was quite a few places or 15-20 outside. I've gotten better average speeds with AT&T and verizon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You can't compare your exact usage to the claim since they're not basing it on your claim. You got 2-8. I got 108. Obviously different areas.

Their claims I believe are based on Speed test results. Root metrics goes all over .. Most users with T-Mobile are probably in a good area otherwise they'd be on another carrier.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
You can't compare your exact usage to the claim since they're not basing it on your claim. You got 2-8. I got 108. Obviously different areas.

Their claims I believe are based on Speed test results. Root metrics goes all over .. Most users with T-Mobile are probably in a good area otherwise they'd be on another carrier.

Yeah but t-mobile claims to be the "fastest" .....root metrics says otherwise .....

My own speed test also disputes that claim ....

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I believe John Legere has said that TMO does not put much stock in RootMetrics scores, but prefers crowdsourced results--surely because there's no chance of skewing with the latter.

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah but t-mobile claims to be the "fastest" .....root metrics says otherwise .....

Fine, they'll change it to Fastest Network (Except outside of Closingracer's House). Happy now? ;)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Again to be the fastest on speed test results. Root metrics does otherwise. I know you know how the * at the bottom of these things work :p.

Just like how Verizon says the best coverage everywhere then at the bottom says "*coverage not available everywhere".

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Fine, they'll change it to Fastest Network (Except outside of Closingracer's House). Happy now? ;)

They are once again lying calling it " the fastest data network" whe it clearly isn't. I get zero mbps in my home with t-mobile because I get zero service. The top speed I ever gotten in NYC with t-mobile was 39 Mbps. Verizon I got 69 Mbps and AT&T the fastest was 56 Mbps. See t-mobile want to use the generic term the fastest which would include nyc and it isn't. The fastest I ever got with t-mobile ever and I've been in philly , Connecticut, Long Island , and jersey was 39 Mbps. Fastest I've gotten with AT&T outside or inside nyc was 60 Mbps but can't comment on Verizon since I've haven't tested it outside the city so far

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Again to be the fastest on speed test results. Root metrics does otherwise. I know you know how the * at the bottom of these things work :p.

Just like how Verizon says the best coverage everywhere then at the bottom says "*coverage not available everywhere".

I don't like any of the carriers really but I find AT&T and Verizon better then t-mobile .... At least they have a network to back up their claims vs t-mobile, they want to claim stuff but yet isn't exactly true. Fastest network ? No. Priding themselves on great customer service ? I left them because of it. Abolished contracts ? Technically yes but there using finance charges instead and how many people upgrade their phones vs sticking with theirs for 8 years ? There is people who stick with their phone but not the majority in the United States on a post paid plan. Also making us to take Jump! Whenever you get a device by upgrade or your first is dumb. I bet a lot of people just forget and never take it off. I like the option to add it on like every other carrier allows you to add these kind of services

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't like any of the carriers really but I find AT&T and Verizon better then t-mobile .... At least they have a network to back up their claims vs t-mobile, they want to claim stuff but yet isn't exactly true. Fastest network ? No. Priding themselves on great customer service ? I left them because of it. Abolished contracts ? Technically yes but there using finance charges instead and how many people upgrade their phones vs sticking with theirs for 8 years ? There is people who stick with their phone but not the majority in the United States on a post paid plan. Also making us to take Jump! Whenever you get a device by upgrade or your first is dumb. I bet a lot of people just forget and never take it off. I like the option to add it on like every other carrier allows you to add these kind of services

You only don't like the claims since you did not get them. Which is fine .. But you can't speak for everywhere. Also as stated previously it depends on sources.. And also areas for service. It's clear you don't like T-mobile which is fine but to compare your one experience and claim it as everyone's is not only inaccurate.. It's also just wasting valuable space in this section for people wanting to find out information on T-Mobile.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They are once again lying calling it " the fastest data network" whe it clearly isn't. I get zero mbps in my home with t-mobile because I get zero service. The top speed I ever gotten in NYC with t-mobile was 39 Mbps. Verizon I got 69 Mbps and AT&T the fastest was 56 Mbps. See t-mobile want to use the generic term the fastest which would include nyc and it isn't. The fastest I ever got with t-mobile ever and I've been in philly , Connecticut, Long Island , and jersey was 39 Mbps. Fastest I've gotten with AT&T outside or inside nyc was 60 Mbps but can't comment on Verizon since I've haven't tested it outside the city so far

Again they're claiming on a certain source. All carriers do it. This isn't new to advertising .. Also they can't claim for every single location. NO carrier can do this. Your fastest is 69 on Verizon. My fastest is 108 on T-Mobile. So it depends on area. You focus on your area as if it's the entire base for all wireless and that isn't the case.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It's like whenever different polls indicate different results: each side cites the source that supports their position. If you like one better than the other that's your choice, but arguing about it isn't going to accomplish anything. As for your personal experience, Almeuit is right: that's important for you, but it's not statistically relevant.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Again they're claiming on a certain source. All carriers do it. This isn't new to advertising .. Also they can't claim for every single location. NO carrier can do this. Your fastest is 69 on Verizon. My fastest is 108 on T-Mobile. So it depends on area. You focus on your area as if it's the entire base for all wireless and that isn't the case.

Yeah but at least Verizon claims are more true then t-mobile. Verizon generally has service everywhere where as t-mobile claims to be the fastest yet I've been in 4 different states plus Washington DC and it never got higher then 40 Mbps. T-mobile can claim what they want but claiming the fastest based off one speed test area over the whole world and claiming it true doesn't make it true. Their network covers the United States of America and if I am in New York , California or New Mexico I expect their "claims" to be somewhat true. If I'm averaging 2-15 Mbps that isn't fast.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
It's like whenever different polls indicate different results: each side cites the source that supports their position. If you like one better than the other that's your choice, but arguing about it isn't going to accomplish anything. As for your personal experience, Almeuit is right: that's important for you, but it's not statistically relevant.

Using speed tests in the middle on a low populated area and calling true is beyond using a source that supports its position. Using a speed test in a bunch of cities and then averaging them ok but using it in Hawaii or some small city and ignore the big populated ones which have more people on their network is fixing the results ..

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, which is why that's not how they got their data. You're creating straw men.

They had to use something to base their claim and it wasn't root metrics ....don't see any feasible way they are the fastest other then taking selective picking

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
If you look at only 4G then Open Signal currently shows T-Mobile as the fastest network in the nation and what TMO referenced when they made the claim. Open Signal is one of the largest Crowd sourced Signal App not just in the USA but around the world.

Open Signal.jpg

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The State of US LTE (March 2014)

"T-Mobile are comfortably the fastest network in the US over the last 3 months, with average speeds of 11.5 Mbps. Sprint perform worst of all US networks, posting LTE speeds that are scarcely faster than existing HSPA+ technologies, with their average speed of 4.3Mbps ranking as one of the slowest networks worldwide."

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith