So I got the Test Drive phone yesterday....

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
and the LTE is terrible, not terrible as the signal strength but has pretty awful speed and ping. I am not sure if the tower is overloaded but I actually had acceptable ping with decent upload and download early this morning but it seems as the day progresses it gets worse. This make me wonder if the tower nearest to me is experiencing problems.
T-mobile LTE.PNG

I wondered about how the speed would be if I turned off LTE and there was a improvement
T-mobile 4g.PNG

Here is a shot of my nexus 6 on AT&T, notice the signal strength is about the same.
ATT LTE.jpg

Being I have a Nexus 6, I took the SIM card out of the test drive phone and put it into the Nexus and it improved slightly but not enough to prove anything. (sorry I didn't think to take screenshots). I'm not looking for blazing speed at home as I can use wifi but I would like usable cell data at home.

Due to the weather today, I wasn't able to make it to work but that will be the real test as that is were I use cell data the most.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
To measure true signal strength you will have to check the dBm -- the bars shown are different for every phone.

Keep testing and see. For those results I have to agree that is bad -- T-Mobile may be having issues or .. simply may be overloaded where you live. Time will tell!

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
and the LTE is terrible, not terrible as the signal strength but has pretty awful speed and ping. I am not sure if the tower is overloaded but I actually had acceptable ping with decent upload and download early this morning but it seems as the day progresses it gets worse. This make me wonder if the tower nearest to me is experiencing problems.
View attachment 165885

I wondered about how the speed would be if I turned off LTE and there was a improvement
View attachment 165886

Here is a shot of my nexus 6 on AT&T, notice the signal strength is about the same.
View attachment 165887

Being I have a Nexus 6, I took the SIM card out of the test drive phone and put it into the Nexus and it improved slightly but not enough to prove anything. (sorry I didn't think to take screenshots). I'm not looking for blazing speed at home as I can use wifi but I would like usable cell data at home.

Due to the weather today, I wasn't able to make it to work but that will be the real test as that is were I use cell data the most.
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? You don't have to be specific, but just the general area. If you don't want to give that info out, I understand.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via the Uncarrier

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? You don't have to be specific, but just the general area. If you don't want to give that info out, I understand.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via the Uncarrier

New Albany Indiana

I just check the speed at 5am and my Ping was 35, DL-10 Mb, UL-4 Mb

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
its consistently falling on its face after 6pm. Last night, I was doing speed test every 30 minutes, by 730pm my ping times rose to 160-230, DL would either timeout or be .35MB and my UL would almost always time out.

I'm trying to keep t-mobile in the loop and give them the benefit of the doubt. I have contacted T-force group on twitter with no response and on google+. They did respond on G+ but it was the canned empathic responses most companies give. I gave them very detailed reports and showed as the day progressed into the evening bandwidth and ping made cell data unusable.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah sounds like your area can't handle "prime time" traffic. T-Mobile may not be the best option for you :(.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
My house area is the same way after 6pm-ish the network falls flat on it's face. If I literally drive a block away from my street, my speed skyrockets. I called T-mobile to resolved it but no luck. They ended up giving me a Router ($25 deposit) to extend my wifi to the living room I have so now I am fine. AT&T is the same, and Sprint is even worse.
Only carrier left is verizon but it's a bit too expensive.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
My house area is the same way after 6pm-ish the network falls flat on it's face. If I literally drive a block away from my street, my speed skyrockets. I called T-mobile to resolved it but no luck. They ended up giving me a Router ($25 deposit) to extend my wifi to the living room I have so now I am fine. AT&T is the same, and Sprint is even worse.
Only carrier left is verizon but it's a bit too expensive.

Iv seen that happen, its a complete dead zone, which are typically rare.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae