Considering switch, Pros and Cons of various carriers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: What are the pros and cons of Cricket Wireless?

Pro:
Cheap.

Cons:
Everything else.

There are websites devoted to gathering complaints about Cricket service, customer service, etc. And there are thousands and thousands of complaints. If you think Verizon is bad (IMO they are), switch to Cricket and you'll wish you were with Verizon.

I don't agree at all. I switched to cricket a year ago and have been extremely happy. Att bought them out and I have service everywhere I've been and I do a good bit of traveling. I've never had an issue with billing or getting anything done. My thought going in was if I hated it, who cares I could just leave, but I've really enjoyed it and talked three friends in to switching along the way. I say if you are able to try it out and see for yourself :) good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: good or bad

Hey but they are building out the network, and it is much faster than before!!! I can stream a YouTube video on Boost Mobile Moto G (Sprint) even after I went over my data limit. I can't do that on Straight Talk Moto E (Verizon) when I'm throttled. And I get 6 full bars all through the city and where I live. But if I go out of state to Louisiana I have to wait to get to Monroe. There is a new tower in the city but I don't think its on yet and if it is Sprint isn't on it yet. And they have a lot of towers going up and being upgraded. Price is better than AT&T, Verizon, and some T-Mobile prices. And usually fast with updates with certain phones than other 3 carriers. I'm gonna stick with them for the foreseeable future, I really like them. Anyways that's my ~0.02¢~

Posted via the Android Central App

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Good:
Cheap
CDMA (for those who prefer it)
Good coverage where they have good coverage. (Better than "Joe's Cell Service", anyway.)

Bad:
CDMA (for those who get seasick with weak CDMA signals)
Mostly bad coverage except where there are concentrations of people. They're number 4 (out of 4) for the amount of area covered (at all - even voice) by a large margin.
Most of the stores are independent, and the employees don't know any more about cellphones or the system than you do, so if you need help, you have to come here. (Better than Straight Talk, like having your leg torn off is better than being shot in the head.)

Would I use Sprint? No. Should you? That's up to you.

Love your colorful comments! Unless it is a BB gun.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Good:
Cheap
CDMA (for those who prefer it)
Good coverage where they have good coverage. (Better than "Joe's Cell Service", anyway.)

Bad:
CDMA (for those who get seasick with weak CDMA signals)
Mostly bad coverage except where there are concentrations of people. They're number 4 (out of 4) for the amount of area covered (at all - even voice) by a large margin.
Most of the stores are independent, and the employees don't know any more about cellphones or the system than you do, so if you need help, you have to come here. (Better than Straight Talk, like having your leg torn off is better than being shot in the head.)

Would I use Sprint? No. Should you? That's up to you.

Worst voice coverage? I don't think they're known for that. Voice was never an issue when I was on Sprint .. It was data speeds .. Only in the mountains of West Virginia did I have an issue and I roamed to Verizon but that was it.

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I switched from Verizon to sprint & my service is good. I hear echoing & people sound far away during voice calls with family members who have Verizon, but it's definitely their phones or service because voice calls to others are clear.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Customer support with a live person is a long wait. The Cricket stores are not as great either.

It's inexpensive and if you are OK with AT&T coverage and being capped at 8mbps, then you will be happy and saving money. Remember, no phone subsidies.

I have a Nexus 6 and I had to stick in the T-Mobile Sim card to get the update. I don't know how Android updates are handled with cricket with byop.

We switched from Sprint and we are paying for five lines $120 a month. Two lines are 5 gigs and three are 3 gigs.

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I don't have any data issues, either.

I get that you don't care for Sprint, but their service is actually good for plenty of people :)

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I actually had Sprint for years, then they started to suck in my area, I had dropped calls & problems getting service so I left them. However, I really missed having unlimited data & was paying the same price for only 2gb so after they completed more upgrades in my area, I asked around & came back to them. They've hugely improved in my area from what it used to be.

So the answer to OP's question is - follow jalan's advice & look at those websites, but also talk to people who live & work around you to see what their service is like where you live. People here saying it sucks or doesn't suck are useless to you unless you live or work near us.

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

That's simply untrue. They reserve the right to do so if a tower is overloaded, not all the time, or even regularly. I stream HD videos here in Chicago regularly with no issues.

Seryozha

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

imurrx, do you know anyone using sprint? If so can you do me a favor and send them an MMS and find out when their phone says they received it? I am having an issue that they say they received the picture 27 hrs earlier. Its very frustrating since they have to scroll back if we have been texting. It only seems to happen to sprint and Straight Talk/Net 10 customers.

bangjr

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I switched over this past weekend. We were also on Verizon prior to switching. So far so good....and love the savings over Verizon - that's for sure ;-)

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Rukbat said it in a nutshell.

Pros:
It's cheap.

Cons:
Poor customer service. Really poor.
Slow data speeds. Really slow.
No conditional call forwarding.
AT&T customers, plus customers of companies with roaming agreements all have priority over Cricket on the data network.
CDMA service support ended last month, reducing coverage via roaming agreements.
Poor choice of phones (but better than it used to be).
Etc etc.

It would be actually impossible for me to switch to Cricket or a similar MVNO. They're just too limited.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Cricket is what's known as a wholely owned MVNO. Similar to how Metro PCS is to T-Mobile, except Metro actually owned some towers and bandwidth. Cricket never owned squat except for their crummy stores. And all of those are in rented storefronts.

8Mbps is not too speedy these days. And that's max, not typical speed.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

For the majority of consumers, 8mbps is sufficient as long it is consistent. It is for the most part.

The other issue I have seen with Cricket is caller ID. It only says wireless caller and the number. It does not transmit the name of the caller. I have read it may take a couple of months for the registries to update, be we are going on four months.

For the call forwarding you could utilize Google Voice.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

You cannot use Google Voice for voicemail on MVNO providers that do not include conditional call forwarding.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Similar to how Metro PCS is to T-Mobile, except Metro actually owned some towers and bandwidth. Cricket never owned squat except for their crummy stores.

Actually that's not true. Cricket did own spectrum, and had their own CDMA network before everything was absorbed into AT&T.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Actually that's not true. Cricket did own spectrum, and had their own CDMA network before everything was absorbed into AT&T.

I thought they piggyback off of Sprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC