How can I resolve host names on T-Mobile Network?

Jonathan Wilder

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Resolving Host Names On T-Mobile Network

Hi all. New to the forum.

I switched to T-Mobile a few months ago and found what appears to be a limitation on their network. I use my phone to access my home alarm panel and my security cameras as well as my home intercom system no matter where I'm at. Because my home ISP provides a dynamic IP address, I have a host name registered with Dyn-DNS that points to my home network and my Dyn-DNS information entered into my router's DDNS client.

I use an app supplied by Bosch to access my alarm panel. This app uses my DDNS host name to access it on my home network. Prior to switching to T-Mobile, I was on Verizon and did not have this issue with them. My first T-Mobile phone was an LG Optimus L90, which had this issue. I figured perhaps upgrading to a Galaxy S5 that this would rectify the issue, but nonetheless I'm still having the issue even with the S5.

When I am on a WiFi connection, everything works as it should. However, when on the T-Mobile network, it cannot resolve the host name. If I use the outside IP address of my home network instead of the host name, I can access it no matter where I am whether I'm on WiFi or the T-Mobile network.

It appears that unlike other cell providers, T-Mobile's network/DNS servers cannot resolve host names. Does anyone else have this sort of issue? Does anyone happen to know why this is? Is there any way to force the phone to point to a DNS server other than T-Mobile's DNS servers when on the T-Mobile network?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Resolving Host Names On T-Mobile Network

It is more than likely on the T-Mobile side of things. They probably have all the traffic running through their servers first and then going out. When I remote from my phone in to my PC's at home I have to use the external IP address as well. Its not a big deal to me because it is saved in my app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza