Is Tmo's 700MHz LTE only for cellular data?

Eight Ball

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Does 700 only impact cellular data? Does it have any impact on in building cellular voice calls? (WiFi calling is great but you don't always have access to WiFi).

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If your device has VoLTE then it would use the B12 700mhz LTE signal for a voice call just as its using it for data.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
If your device has VoLTE then it would use the B12 700mhz LTE signal for a voice call just as its using it for data.

Assuming the band 12 network is available for voLTE, and its not all being handled on band 4 and/or 2 right now.

...and that the OP is in a voLTE market to begin with.

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Assuming the band 12 network is available for voLTE, and its not all being handled on band 4 and/or 2 right now.

...and that the OP is in a voLTE market to begin with.

All band 12 is volte.

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
with out providing a source i can tell you its logic.
They eventually will make everything LTE once GSM / EDGE and HSDPA is phased out. This is why VoLTE exists. So it can be one large network and not fragmented into a voice and data network.
So it wont matter what band your on, LTE is still LTE, its all data at that point, doesnt matter if its Voice over LTE which is data, or you streaming a video, which is data.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
with out providing a source i can tell you its logic.
They eventually will make everything LTE once GSM / EDGE and HSDPA is phased out. This is why VoLTE exists. So it can be one large network and not fragmented into a voice and data network.
So it wont matter what band your on, LTE is still LTE, its all data at that point, doesnt matter if its Voice over LTE which is data, or you streaming a video, which is data.

Well, yeah, eventually everything is headed to voLTE. But do we know that voLTE is active on the band 12 network already? Plus a strong claim like "all band 12 is voLTE" has to have a source somewhere--a TMO press release, a TMONews article, etc.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ive had one phone call where my nexus 6 was on B12 using VoLTE. Now that im on a M9 ill do my best to take a screen shot for you.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Ive had one phone call where my nexus 6 was on B12 using VoLTE. Now that im on a M9 ill do my best to take a screen shot for you.

You don't have to do that, I believe you :)

I was just wondering how we (regular TMO users) know that the band 12 network has been pressed into voLTE service everywhere it's up and running.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to do that, I believe you :)

I was just wondering how we (regular TMO users) know that the band 12 network has been pressed into voLTE service everywhere it's up and running.

I would assume any Band 12 within a VoLTE market would have VoLTE enabled (seemingly confirmed by the above poster), but are there any Band 12 areas in non-VoLTE markets? I have to imagine that there's more to VoLTE than a tower upgrade since the switches would have to be able to handle the packet-switched voice.

Not that it really matters to me... my phone supports neither band 12 nor VoLTE!

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I would assume any Band 12 within a VoLTE market would have VoLTE enabled (seemingly confirmed by the above poster), but are there any Band 12 areas in non-VoLTE markets? I have to imagine that there's more to VoLTE than a tower upgrade since the switches would have to be able to handle the packet-switched voice.

Not that it really matters to me... my phone supports neither band 12 nor VoLTE!

I'm thinking along the same lines as you (and am in the same boat with my phone!) I guess it would be easy to figure out if there are b12 areas in non-voLTE markets both empirically (TMO releasing data and either doing the correlation for us or someone does it,) and anecdotally (people reporting b12 sightings and if they have voLTE.)

FWIW, I tried browsing through TMO's current lineup of phones, and they list 14 new phones as being b12 compatible. I'd be surprised though if all 14 of them can do voLTE.

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

It basically has to be band 12. There are places with just band 12 and no other backhaul. That's why the Motorola phone disabled band 12, it wasn't volte enabled.

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Interesting note for me. While i saw my Nexus 6 use one phone call on B12 VoLTE, i have yet to see my M9 do the same.
I have seen it switch between the bands. I am in Dallas so i have the luxury of all 3 bands here. But so far my calls have been on B4 VoLTE.
I tried to replicate the instances where my Nexus 6 used B12, Same location, same time of day but my M9 stayed on B4 the whole time.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
If I recall correctly -- VoLTE is nationwide now.

How can it be truly nationwide when TMO's coverage isn't nationwide!

But if we restrict the definition of 'nationwide' to wherever TMO has LTE, how does TMO define nationwide: every single PoP supports voLTE or some arbitrary number that satisfies the Marketing Department's definition for 'nationwide' (like HSPA+ did for 4G?)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How can it be truly nationwide when TMO's coverage isn't nationwide!

That doesn't have to do with what you were talking about. You said select markets and I was stating I think it is nationwide -- as in no more market launches.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't have to do with what you were talking about. You said select markets and I was stating I think it is nationwide -- as in no more market launches.

I was asking if people in those places with just b12 LTE have documented voLTE. Even if they didn't, you could easily meet a marketer's definition of 'nationwide.'

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was asking if people in those places with just b12 LTE have documented voLTE. Even if they didn't, you could easily meet a marketer's definition of 'nationwide.'

And I get that but in regards to the topic - I believe VoLTE is enabled everywhere now so it "should" (key word) work if they can get LTE.

Picking apart every little thing isn't helpful to the discussion because you could take any definition of "nationwide" under the microscope if you really truly wanted since no carrier offers 100% LTE in every single spot -- So let's not split hairs here :).

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Took a screen shot of a voice mail call on B12.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 11368.jpg
    11368.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 29

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781