T-Mobile won't carry the Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P: what does that mean for Band 12, VoLTE, and VoWiFi?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android Police: Nexus 5X and 6P will be available online only

Just to clarify, I meant that TMO doesn't add major, OS-level features like WFC or voLTE to the ZTE Zmax or any other phone. Of course they develop apps (some of which may be considered bloatware by some people, and some that may be considered indispensable--like VVM.) But do I think they did anything more than just test and approve Z970V1.0.0B33 for the Zmax? No way.

For argument's sake, let's say they did--that Z970V1.0.0B33 wasn't developed by ZTE, but TMO. Did TMO also take over storage and keep the update on their servers? Did they then push it out to however many Zmax owners that it needed to be pushed to? Are they assuming all responsibility up to paying for device replacement should something go wrong because of this update?

OS-level features are either developed at Google's level, or at the OEM level. TMO just tests and approves OS builds. This is my understanding of how it works across multiple platforms, multiple OEMs.

DVCal

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Almeuit hasn't got a clue as to what he is talking about. The current N6 does support band 12 and VoLTE on T-Mobile. The issue is most definitely Google not wanting to get certified for the 6p.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Almeuit hasn't got a clue as to what he is talking about. The current N6 does support band 12 and VoLTE on T-Mobile. The issue is most definitely Google not wanting to get certified for the 6p.

I agree it does.. But that is due to T-Mobile needing this certification. Only T-Mobile needs this extra step.. And it took a long time. It was Google and T-Moblie doing the testing and it took them a long time to get the support. I remember when askdes had to tweet just let everyone know wifi calling was coming.

So as I said... Google VoLTE works with other carriers out of the box. T-Mobile makes them be "certified".. And none of us know how long that process takes :).

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

If you have a Google Voice number, that should still allow VoWiFi with Hangouts, correct?

I believe so. What you're talking about is just using the app to make a voIP-type call over data (in this case WiFi,) right?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree it does.. But that is due to T-Mobile needing this certification. Only T-Mobile needs this extra step.. And it took a long time. It was Google and T-Moblie doing the testing and it took them a long time to get the support. I remember when askdes had to tweet just let everyone know wifi calling was coming.

So as I said... Google VoLTE works with other carriers out of the box. T-Mobile makes them be "certified".. And none of us know how long that process takes :).

This. Nexus has it; didn't have it for awhile and now does. This is because T-Mobile did their part after the release.

Note 1: On the Nexus 6, the bloat is still present with some carriers, coming preinstalled to a separate partition and installing based on the SIM detection. That bloat doesn't inherently include all features that they may install, especially those that require firmware level access - such as WiFi calling.

Note 2: We have no idea which level of integration the 5X and 6P have yet. This won't be known until there are factory images for MM and possibly images for those specific devices will be necessary, depending on the implementation.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I believe so. What you're talking about is just using the app to make a voIP-type call over data (in this case WiFi,) right?

Yup. That is what I was thinking of.

DVCal

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
T-Mobile requires this because they are legally required to. Unlike other carriers, some parts of T-Mobile service are only serviced by VoLTE, lack of verified VoLTE would prevent T-Mobile customers in VoLTE areas from dialing 911. This is a major safety issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile requires this because they are legally required to. Unlike other carriers, some parts of T-Mobile service are only serviced by VoLTE, lack of verified VoLTE would prevent T-Mobile customers in VoLTE areas from dialing 911. This is a major safety issue.

And I get that .. but we still do not know the exact process so acting like Google isn't trying without sufficient evidence isn't really fair. They worked to get the Nexus 6 done it just took awhile. As I said I remember askdes (T-Mobile official device guy) having to submit a tweet just so people knew T-Mobile & Google were still working on it. Google wants all their stuff to work as they showed within the keynote for even Apple users. They wouldn't intentionally just not do it. If they were thinking of the "Let's not even mess with this" route they probably wouldn't even include the band in the phone (usually band 12 is the issue w/ VoLTE).

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
If they were thinking of the "Let's not even mess with this" route they probably wouldn't even include the band in the phone (usually band 12 is the issue w/ VoLTE).

I missed the radio specs announcement(s); are these two phones going to have multiple US variants each (unlike the Nexus 6, which had one NA and one ROW?) The reason I ask is because as you well know, there are other carriers with b12 networks: USCC and others in the US, Bell in Canada, etc. I would hope Google is of the "the needs of the many (carriers) outweigh the needs of one" view.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I missed the radio specs announcement(s); are these two phones going to have multiple US variants each (unlike the Nexus 6, which had one NA and one ROW?) The reason I ask is because as you well know, there are other carriers with b12 networks: USCC and others in the US, Bell in Canada, etc. I would hope Google is of the "the needs of the many (carriers) outweigh the needs of one" view.

Yeah. They should support US networks.

5X
GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8
CDMA: BC0/1/10
LTE (FDD): B1/2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/20/25/26/29
LTE (TDD): B41
LTE CA DL: B2-B2, B2-B4, B2-B5, B2-B12, B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-B29, B4-B4, B4-B5, B4-B7, B4-B12, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29, B41-B41

6P
GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8
CDMA: BC0/1/10
LTE (FDD): B2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/30
LTE (TDD): B41
CA DL: B2-B2, B2-B4, B2-B5, B2-B12, B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-B29, B4-B4, B4-B5, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29, B41-B41

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Love Google even more that T-Mobile and hate Apple to the core that will never get another penny from me. However Apple's main stream revenue is the iPhones and Googles main revenue is internet advertising. Google seems to look at non-core revenue business like a experimental projects similar to their project Ara modular phone.

Google's Project Fi Network is a MVNO that uses both Sprint and T-Mobile as their backbone. Having the new Nexus 5x/6p working over T-Mobile's LTE Band 12 with VoLTE would greatly benefit Fi customers when they are in areas that only have band 12 LTE connections. Apple has proven that it is capable of working with T-Mobile yet Google that is a MVNO under T-Mobile just can't seem to pay attention to their own Fi Network customers.

Apple, Samsung, LG and others can support VoLTE on T-Mobile out of the box yet Google just doesn't seem to understand the needs of their own Fi Network customers that depend on T-Mobile network. What ever reason why the Nexus 5x/6p doesn't support VoLTE at launch is a major Google's screw up. Android also needs to standardize their OS for VoLTE and VoWiFi and provide a API for specialized unique networks software for all cell providers around the world.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Google's Project Fi Network is a MVNO that uses both Sprint and T-Mobile as their backbone. Having the new Nexus 5x/6p working over T-Mobile's LTE Band 12 with VoLTE would greatly benefit Fi customers when they are in areas that only have band 12 LTE connections. Apple has proven that it is capable of working with T-Mobile yet Google that is a MVNO under T-Mobile just can't seem to pay attention to their own Fi Network customers.

Apple, Samsung, LG and others can support VoLTE on T-Mobile out of the box yet Google just doesn't seem to understand the needs of their own Fi Network customers that depend on T-Mobile network. What ever reason why the Nexus 5x/6p doesn't support VoLTE at launch is a major Google's screw up. Android also needs to standardize their OS for VoLTE and VoWiFi and provide a API for specialized unique networks software for all cell providers around the world.

I guess we can agree to disagree. As I said none of us know the certification process and I don't see Google (or any OEM really) just saying "Let's put the radio in and just never try to have our customers use it". If that was the case it would just be easier to exclude Band 12 from the phone. As I have also said Samsung, LG, etc... do not have VoLTE work out of the box. T-Mobile modifies it for it to work. Samsung, LG, etc. DO work out of the box for other carriers if you bought an un-branded carrier version .. Just not for T-Mobile since T-Mobile is the only one who has to "certify" the device :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And it looks like the built in WiFi calling with Android M will work on T-Mobile without their approval. So only the band 12 issue has to be certified which Google is working on.

Doesn't look like Google is slacking to me :).

Attachments

• tweet.jpg
    tweet.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I guess we can agree to disagree. As I said none of us know the certification process and I don't see Google (or any OEM really) just saying "Let's put the radio in and just never try to have our customers use it". If that was the case it would just be easier to exclude Band 12 from the phone. As I have also said Samsung, LG, etc... do not have VoLTE work out of the box. T-Mobile modifies it for it to work. Samsung, LG, etc. DO work out of the box for other carriers if you bought an un-branded carrier version .. Just not for T-Mobile since T-Mobile is the only one who has to "certify" the device :).

Almeuit I agree and have the most respect for you even if we have different opinions. Very happy after the AMA on Reddit that Google is working on the issue with T-Mobile to get Band 12 up by launch. Also, good to read T-Mobile's Project Engineer Des Smith (@askDes) said WiFi calling comes in the T-Mobile Sim and only has to be turned on. Still waiting on VoLTE announcement now.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm staying optimistic that T-Mo WiFi calling will work and Band 12 support is forthcoming . . . I'm not in a T-Mo band 12 service area so I can wait a bit anyway . . .

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that this will all be moot once the phones FINALLY get into peoples' hands... by then all these certifications and such will be free and clear.

Google rolled a lot of the WFC and VoLTE into the mainline branch of 6.0. I've had M running on my Nexus 6 since shortly after they released the previews and WFC, VoLTE AND band 12 all work.... and they still work now that I am on the released version.

If the 5X and 6P support Fi, they will most certainly support WFC and almost certainly VoLTE. Without WFC, Fi can't function the way it is designed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy