Binge on via mobile hotspot?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Curious if anyone can verify this. I wanted to know if binge on benefits work while activating my hotspot. I want to tag along my son's tablet (Note 10.1) while out and about. Now, when he's streaming netflix and youtube on my phone it's obviously "free" data. Now... What if he streams it via same apps but on his tablet while tethered to my phone? Will this count against my data cap or does binge on still apply? I want to find out before I blow half a months data on just one outing.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Curious if anyone can verify this. I wanted to know if binge on benefits work while activating my hotspot. I want to tag along my son's tablet (Note 10.1) while out and about. Now, when he's streaming netflix and youtube on my phone it's obviously "free" data. Now... What if he streams it via same apps but on his tablet while tethered to my phone? Will this count against my data cap or does binge on still apply? I want to find out before I blow half a months data on just one outing.

I won't count against your tether bucket but you must be on an unlimited plan (not a capped / limited high speed one).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the 10GB plan. So your saying netflix and youtube will count against my data then? That's a bummer.

Yep through the hotspot it will. The only time you can use the services through hotspot and not have it count is having unlimited data.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the 10GB plan. So your saying netflix and youtube will count against my data then? That's a bummer.

Think of it this way: the data plan isn't being used to watch Netflix/YouTube on your phone. It's being used by your phone to generate a hotspot.

But then...at some point there has to be DPI on the data streaming through...so will at least the quality downgrading kick in, since the whole point of Binge On is to throttle the video?

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
According to T-Mobile streaming while tethered is covered under Binge On. Here is the info from the website:

Does Binge On apply to video streamed while tethering from a smartphone, tablet, or mobile internet device?

Yes, if you are streaming video from one of our Binge On providers while tethering from a smartphone, tablet, or mobile internet device to a laptop, desktop, tablet, or handset you will enjoy all the great benefits of Binge On

This was not in reference to Unlimited Data. It was a general question.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This was not in reference to Unlimited Data. It was a general question.

Or actually you're right .. It has been updated on the BingeOn page.

So it looks like it won't touch your High Speed Data. For unlimited users it won't touch the hotspot data bucket.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Or actually you're right .. It has been updated on the BingeOn page.

So it looks like it won't touch your High Speed Data. For unlimited users it won't touch the hotspot data bucket.
At first they only mentioned Unlimited users... not sure when it changed on the website though.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like it should work as on my phone. To make certain I'll try a controlled test at home and check the usage. I'll report back after I do it.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok. An update. I tethered my tablet to my phone and streamed netflix for a long while. According to my phone portable hotspot used a little over 1GB if data. I checked my tmobile listed usage beforehand. They counted 1.45GB at that time. Its been over 24hrs since I ran the test and my data usage count only went up about 200mb (which sounds right, I've done a lot of web browsing). If the tethered netflix had counted against me they should have upped the count quite a bit more. So it seems like I can stream binge on services on tablet while tethered as much as I want.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2