T-Mobile Coverage Monroe County PA

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone. I am considering ditching Verizon for T-Mobile. My home zip code is 18353. According to T-Mo's coverage map, my area appears to be saturated with LTE. This was certainly not the case a couple years ago. I also travel daily along Route 80 to Eastern NJ for work. I am wondering if anyone in my area has any experience with T-Mobile. I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not your area specifically, I'm in Philly, BUT I can tell you T-Mobile has gotten LOADS better over the last couple years. They still are not as good as Verizon out in the "country" BUT as you get closer to urban areas in many cases T-Mobile is actually faster than Verizon (Not always). I am quite happy with the switch. IF you work or your home is a trouble spot, T-Mobile will also, for free (25 dollar refundable deposit required) send you a signal booster device to improve your signal. And they have 2 kinds of devices 1 that requires a connection to an internet router and 1 that does not!

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Sensorly shows a lot of 2G; 3G along the 209 and 33 and some 4G just past Sciota but before Saylorsburg.

TMO used to have this great program called Test Drive where they'd lend you a iPhone for 1-2 weeks with a SIM card and you could use it to test the network, all for a hold on a credit card as a deposit (should you damage/pocket the phone.) But in what surely must have been an Uncarrier move, they killed the program and replaced it with Lifetime Coverage Guarantee, where you have to bear a hard credit pull to test a network you may not even end up staying on. And now, they're trying to kill LCG too, indirectly.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sensorly shows a lot of 2G; 3G along the 209 and 33 and some 4G just past Sciota but before Saylorsburg.

TMO used to have this great program called Test Drive where they'd lend you a iPhone for 1-2 weeks with a SIM card and you could use it to test the network, all for a hold on a credit card as a deposit (should you damage/pocket the phone.) But in what surely must have been an Uncarrier move, they killed the program and replaced it with Lifetime Coverage Guarantee, where you have to bear a hard credit pull to test a network you may not even end up staying on. And now, they're trying to kill LCG too, indirectly.

While we get your distaste for T-Mobile ranting about it isn't really helpful to the OP and his question. That kind of de-rails the thread into something that he wasn't asking about and technically is irrelevant now since, as you said, you can't get it anymore.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
While we get your distaste for T-Mobile ranting about it isn't really helpful to the OP and his question. That kind of de-rails the thread into something that he wasn't asking about and technically is irrelevant now since, as you said, you can't get it anymore.

Just letting a potential customer know about the up-in-the-air nature of TMO. If they couldn't even maintain the basic yet brilliant solution to attract new customers, I would want to know about that. IMHO, it isn't too off-topic: the thread was about finding out what local coverage is like; Test Drive would have helped immensely with that. Heck, maybe if enough informed prospective customers ask for it, John Legere might even bring it back for a win-win! After all, he is a man of the people, right?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just letting a potential customer know about the up-in-the-air nature of TMO. If they couldn't even maintain the basic yet brilliant solution to attract new customers, I would want to know about that. IMHO, it isn't too off-topic: the thread was about finding out what local coverage is like; Test Drive would have helped immensely with that. Heck, maybe if enough informed prospective customers ask for it, John Legere might even bring it back for a win-win! After all, he is a man of the people, right?

It would be but this isn't a thread about what was offered or to pick on each little thing and discuss it. It is him asking for help with coverage in his area -- that is it. The options he has now.

If you want to talk about it more please send a PM so we can stop taking up the OP's thread. Thanks :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly in Philly T-Mobile is number 1, no wonder I like the change so much, lol!

Same for my area. They tie with Verizon :). As for the OP's area I would stick with AT&T / Verizon depending on the needs (data) and the ability to pay the price (if need be).

Or OP .. If AT&T is the best in your area and you're set with your phone you could go to Cricket. They are an AT&T MVNO and are pretty cheap (I believe $70 a month for unlimited data).

Gotham444

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I work in East Stroudsburg and have 4g LTE. Ever since last November. You lose some speed around Wind Gap/Saylorsburg because of the mountains I assume.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments. They're very helpful. The test drive model sounds like it would have helped me decide. Too bad it's discontinued. I'm very happy with Verizon's coverage. I currently have unlimited data on 3 of the 4 lines on my account. Unfortunately Verizon's vacuum cleaner is sucking the $$$ from me. By this time next summer, my bill will be almost $400 per month, after the UDP increases. This includes the 22% discount given to my wife's company. I thought T-Mo would be my best alternative for data hungry people like myself.

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments. They're very helpful. The test drive model sounds like it would have helped me decide. Too bad it's discontinued. I'm very happy with Verizon's coverage. I currently have unlimited data on 3 of the 4 lines on my account. Unfortunately Verizon's vacuum cleaner is sucking the $$$ from me. By this time next summer, my bill will be almost $400 per month, after the UDP increases. This includes the 22% discount given to my wife's company. I thought T-Mo would be my best alternative for data hungry people like myself.

With T-Mobile's special programs like Music Freedom, BingeOn, and Data Rollover, you can get by on the 6GB plan, go for the 10GB plan if you feel you must, but I can tell you my family does fine with 6, especially with the freebies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
With T-Mobile's special programs like Music Freedom, BingeOn, and Data Rollover, you can get by on the 6GB plan, go for the 10GB plan if you feel you must, but I can tell you my family does fine with 6, especially with the freebies.

Just depends what he averages. I used to use like 100 + GB a month but now I toned it down .. I average around 30-50 GB a month now. GF is around the 4-6ish GB per month.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
My cycle resets on the 10th. I'm currently at 30 gigs. My daughter is at 40 gigs and my wife is less than 2 gig. Now my data usage was much less, but after the price increase, I stopped using WiFi.

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You would be surprised how much the T-Mobile programs help! All that music and video doesn't count. Now if you tether THAT will still be a killer.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You would be surprised how much the T-Mobile programs help! All that music and video doesn't count. Now if you tether THAT will still be a killer.

The only thing that sucks with BingeOn is the 480P limit. It isn't bad but .. Since I have unlimited I shut it off. Kind of in the mindset as the OP.. If I am paying for it I will use it.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that sucks with BingeOn is the 480P limit. It isn't bad but .. Since I have unlimited I shut it off. Kind of in the mindset as the OP.. If I am paying for it I will use it.
Not to sidetrack, but is T-mobile's unlimited plan truly unlimited? No throttling?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL