Coverage Hawaii

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Will be vacationing in Hawaii in August. Oahu and the big Island.

Can anyone tell me what the coverage is like.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Coverage on Oahu is on par with the big 2.As far as the Big Island is concerned? It was pretty good when I went there 2 years ago. That was in the Kailua Kona(West side) Area though

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Kilauea side is a bit sketchy on Big Island. Oahu is good to go - super fast LTE in most areas. North Shore on Oahu can be spotty at times. 🌴🍻

Posted via the Android Central App

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I lived on Oahu until this past May and T-Mobile coverage there is awesome. You won't have any issues.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I lived on Oahu until this past May and T-Mobile coverage there is awesome. You won't have any issues.

Yes, been on Oahu for 11 days coverage is great, heading to Big Island tomorrow and hopefully it will be just as good.Staying at Mauna Lani.

elcheapodeluxe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I was there two weeks ago.

Big Island: Ok around the cities. Hilo and Kona were fine. The hotel I was staying at in Waikoloa was fine. Saddle Rd and the far north/south more remote areas - not so great. I had a second cell phone with Consumer Cellular (AT&T) which got much better coverage and used that most of the time.

Oahu: TMobile OK for much of the island, but some of the northern side was sketchy, east of Haleiwa. Again, the AT&T network phone was better.

And, though it should be obvious, my travels in Moloka'i were almost impossible on T-Mobile. AGAIN... the AT&T network phone was much better.

I'd say that the difference between the two networks is at great in Hawaii's rural areas as it is on the mainland.

Edited: Had incorrectly stated my AT&T coverage was through Harbor Mobile instead of Consumer Cellular. Corrected.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I was there two weeks ago.

Big Island: Ok around the cities. Hilo and Kona were fine. The hotel I was staying at in Waikoloa was fine. Saddle Rd and the far north/south more remote areas - not so great. I had a second cell phone with Consumer Cellular (AT&T) which got much better coverage and used that most of the time.

Oahu: TMobile OK for much of the island, but some of the northern side was sketchy, east of Haleiwa. Again, the AT&T network phone was better.

And, though it should be obvious, my travels in Moloka'i were almost impossible on T-Mobile. AGAIN... the AT&T network phone was much better.

I'd say that the difference between the two networks is at great in Hawaii's rural areas as it is on the mainland.

Edited: Had incorrectly stated my AT&T coverage was through Harbor Mobile instead of Consumer Cellular. Corrected.

Just back yesterday and can agree the above. I didn't have any problems on Oahu even North Coast.

Big Island could be a problem. Quite a few areas where I had no service but my son roaming on AT&T did. I do not get roaming with my Walmart 5gb data plan but was under impression those with monthly pay plans got roaming with AT &T.
Remarkably I got bars when I was up on top of Mauna Kea at 13800ft plus

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I haven't been to the big island in years. But being up at nearly 14000 feet way above the clouds is something everyone should have on their bucket list. Aloha

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I haven't been to the big island in years. But being up at nearly 14000 feet way above the clouds is something everyone should have on their bucket list. Aloha
Wasn't on mine only because I had never come across it. Amazing experience being able to drive to that height then get out and wander around. Standing close to the edge with the wind blowing is awesome.

What was on my list was to visit the lava flowing into the ocean. Had to walk in 4.5 miles then back but it was worth it.

elcheapodeluxe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I do not get roaming with my Walmart 5gb data plan but was under impression those with monthly pay plans got roaming with AT &T.

This would be interesting if they did, but I doubt it. AFAIK Walmart's "MyFamilyMobile" is a TMobile MVNO, and I'm not aware of ANY TMobile MVNO that roams to AT&T.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
This would be interesting if they did, but I doubt it. AFAIK Walmart's "MyFamilyMobile" is a TMobile MVNO, and I'm not aware of ANY TMobile MVNO that roams to AT&T.

For clarity I meant that T-Mobile customers with a monthly pay plan get roaming whereas pay as you go type plans whether it is using the Walmart 5gb $30.00 or any plan from T-Mobile get no roaming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital