T-Mobile vows to match Verizon's coverage in next 12 months

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
At least here in the Detroit-Metro area, I'm getting pretty much the same coverage, inside of buildings or out, as my VZW-using friends and colleagues. In fact: One of my closest friends, who lives in a Metro-Detroit rural area, I recently found has worse coverage on VZW than I do on TMO. That surprised me, because it used to be the other way around.

And I don't even have B12 support on my phone.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Whatever happened to that self-set goal of complete PCS refarming by EOY 2015?

And is this declaration based on an assumption that Verizon is not going to be acquiring any licenses, like TMO hopes to?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Is there gonna be one winner for that 600 MHz auction?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

TomOfTx

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I signed up for a few lines with T-Mobile back in June, but still have my Gear S2 Classic on AT&T as a standalone device that I often use for making and receiving phone calls when I travel to some rural areas where T-Mobile has weak coverage. The service I have around the Houston area has been great with T-Mobile.

As for T-Mobile claiming they will match Verizon's coverage....I will believe it when I see it. They also said last October they would come out with a better version of AT&T's NumberSync, and yet nothing has come of that in the past 9 months. I may switch my primary phone back to AT&T just so I can use the NumberSync again with my Gear S2 and keep my family's tablets on T-Mobile. I would rather T-Mobile not be making promises it cannot deliver on just to draw attention.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Northeast Ohio here. We have had Band 12 for a while. But even WITH it, outside suburbs is really hit and miss. Traveling between them normally means LTE drops a couple times.They *claim* to have "fair" coverage blanketing most of it but in reality "fair" means good luck getting any signal. I'm not talking indoors. I was standing outside in a parking lot (wouldnt work inside car) and I still couldnt get my phone to grab a signal. Wifes phone was same result. Tmobile claimed "fair" was in the entire area. LOL. So they need to work on that. Meanwhile in these same areas, ATT and Verizon have great coverage. Sprint is worse. Many rural areas throughout ohio have zero coverage, again ATT and Verizon have excellent. If they plan to match verizon they need to do more than rely on 700mhz. Towers are spread WAY too thin in some outlying suburbs. And non-existent in others. New towers need added. And then, we got West Virginia. Verizon has pretty solid coverage in that state. Tmobile has....none. Absolutely none (aside from a few odd spots on eastern side, perhaps also Morgantown?). So....according to Tmobiles claim of matching Verizon, that would require them to add many towers to basically an ENTIRE STATE (Im sure there are other states lacking but i can only speak to areas ive actually been too). I'd love to see Tmobile light up the entire state of WV. And if they want to make good on their claim, they will have to. Seems like a bold claim to make, as even around me I see massive gaps where they simply need to add towers. That being said, I have seen a few areas in rural spots where I was getting strong LTE signal on my last trip. In spots where I had always dropped LTE (too weak) and stayed on EDGE for a few miles. Drove that route dozens on times. Last week, I was on strong LTE most of the time. They clearly added some towers. Perhaps they are making good on the claims? I hope so.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Have you guys seen T-Mobile's LTE coverage map lately? I'm blown away tbh. A year ago, I swear they only had one LTE tower in my city. Now it looks like they have about as much LTE coverage as AT&T.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Have you guys seen T-Mobile's LTE coverage map lately?

Yes. A couple of days ago I was replying to someone on CrackBerry who's going to be visiting Montana (with a GSM phone.) "Partner coverage" is what the map showed, and linked to phones with 850 MHz. I'm guessing that partner would be AT&T.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
At my in-laws, in rural area. 6 month ago there was no connectivity in the area. Now find Band 12 coverage in the same area. Download speed of only 12, upload is only 3, but better than nothing previously. Shows that coverage has expanded.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
At my in-laws, in rural area. 6 month ago there was no connectivity in the area. Now find Band 12 coverage in the same area. Download speed of only 12, upload is only 3, but better than nothing previously. Shows that coverage has expanded.

12 and 3 is fast enough to do anything you'd need to on your phone. You can video chat, watch HD video, stream music, etc. Anything more just reduces download times.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
12 and 3 is fast enough to do anything you'd need to on your phone. You can video chat, watch HD video, stream music, etc. Anything more just reduces download times.
I didn't say it wasn't, but it is far under what you can usually get with band 12. I've been tethering my laptop as well, has been fine.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I didn't say it wasn't, but it is far under what you can usually get with band 12. I've been tethering my laptop as well, has been fine.

Band 12 isn't a high speed band. It's meant for reaching further distances and penetrating objects to give you a better signal indoors. If you're getting faster speeds on band 12 than T-Mobile's other bands, it's because you're either inside or far from a tower, neither of which is ideal for speed.

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Att rural coverage has been good for me so between that and tmobile I'm covered well. Once T-Mobile gets 600 and implements it in a few years things should be really interesting.

I don't think Verizon should be shaking in their boots just yet but they should start taking notice. T-Mobile is definitely improving at a fast pace. If anyone has a more recent need to worry it's prob att.